FPN's PEN ART GALLERY

Titivillus

Spotted this on a wall outside work.

http://burningsmell.org/images/i/ultronia-underwing.jpg

Pilot take-sumi black, W&N carnation red with folded ruling pen.

Edited by Corona688

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew_L

• parkerwasmyfirstlove

• inkstainedruth

• Astronymus

I realized recently I have no idea how to use more than one color at the same time, so I dried a bunch of inks in a tray and pretended they were watercolors. Currently playing with 10 haphazardly chosen colors and sketching with Kiwa-Guro in a fude nib. What a mess!

Conclusions: My brain can't handle thinking in color. A lot of practice will be required. Fude nib struggled with rough watercolor paper almost as much as I struggled with the fude nib.

(For those interested, the inks are Birmingham Walnut St. Brown, Diamine Majestic Blue, Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu, Sailor Oku-Yama, Lamy Pacific Blue, Franklin Christoph Honeycomb, Kyo no Oto Yamabukiiro, Nemosine Aeolus Palus Red, Callifolio Violet, Robert Oster Jade, Callifolio Gris de Payne, Kyo no Oto Nurebairo)

fpn_1533275468__sketch.jpg

Your brain may not be in gear to deal with colors yet, but your hand CERTAINLY is! Nice drawing!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I realized recently I have no idea how to use more than one color at the same time, so I dried a bunch of inks in a tray and pretended they were watercolors. Currently playing with 10 haphazardly chosen colors and sketching with Kiwa-Guro in a fude nib. What a mess!

Conclusions: My brain can't handle thinking in color. A lot of practice will be required. Fude nib struggled with rough watercolor paper almost as much as I struggled with the fude nib.

(For those interested, the inks are Birmingham Walnut St. Brown, Diamine Majestic Blue, Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu, Sailor Oku-Yama, Lamy Pacific Blue, Franklin Christoph Honeycomb, Kyo no Oto Yamabukiiro, Nemosine Aeolus Palus Red, Callifolio Violet, Robert Oster Jade, Callifolio Gris de Payne, Kyo no Oto Nurebairo)

fpn_1533275468__sketch.jpg

LOVE THIS !

Wow :wub:

Crahptacular forget what you think you should be thinking / doing with colour. That's one glorious, unconventional party (not a mess). :)

Can't wait to see more!

Edited by Scribs

Crahptacular forget what you think you should be thinking / doing with colour. That's one glorious, unconventional party (not a mess). :)

Can't wait to see more!

This !

Well Crahptacular, "Struggle on" then because that is awesome...

If you think everything is going well... you obviously have no idea what is really going on!

Thanks for the encouraging comments. My brain keeps telling me to color "inside the lines" and I'm trying to break the habit. Here's another (less successful, I think) attempt at loosening up. On the bright side, the fude nib is feeling more comfortable now.

fpn_1533530483__sketch2.jpg

absolutely beautiful work crahptacular.

I run on Caffeine, Sarcasm and inappropriate thoughts.

Beautiful work. Watercolors stay put, ink (mostly) doesn't, so you just have to expect a little bleeding like that.

crahptacular: very Japanese, especially the first one - it's cool! The second one has much overcolorful for me.

spacer.png

spacer.png

About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org

or watch on social networks

Facebook: @ArtDesignPenS

Telegram: @ArtDesignPenS

Pinterest: ArtDesignPenS

Instagram: @andrew.lensky

Conclusions: My brain can't handle thinking in color. A lot of practice will be required.

Dude ... I hear you. My daughter is a fantastic artist, and she can use colour... but she has a hard time thinking "colours" when using ink. I love her monochromatic palettes.. though. So no complains here.. :D :D

And YES... is not a mess, you are a fantastic artist too... Love your stuff!!!

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

crahptacular: very Japanese, especially the first one - it's cool! The second one has much overcolorful for me.

Thanks! For whatever reason, I really like the look of Asian urban streets and alleys, so I have a bunch of photos from Taiwan and Japan that I use for reference. I agree about the colors; there's barely any contrast in values so the colors are just a mess.

Beautiful work. Watercolors stay put, ink (mostly) doesn't, so you just have to expect a little bleeding like that.

To be honest, I've never used watercolors (well, maybe once back in high school...). Painting with FP inks for ink reviews is more or less my only experience painting, so I should be more used to how inks behave on paper by now...

Dude ... I hear you. My daughter is a fantastic artist, and she can use colour... but she has a hard time thinking "colours" when using ink. I love her monochromatic palettes.. though. So no complains here.. :D :D

And YES... is not a mess, you are a fantastic artist too... Love your stuff!!!

C.

I remember seeing you post some of her monochrome pieces (the Confederation Brown one comes to mind--that was one of her pieces, right?), Those are definitely more down my alley :).

Here's the latest--I realized that in thick lines, the way Kira-Guro reflects light contrasts oddly with all the other inks. Maybe I finally have a good excuse reason to get more black inks...

fpn_1534185709__sketch3.jpg

Thanks! For whatever reason, I really like the look of Asian urban streets and alleys, so I have a bunch of photos from Taiwan and Japan that I use for reference. I agree about the colors; there's barely any contrast in values so the colors are just a mess.

To be honest, I've never used watercolors (well, maybe once back in high school...). Painting with FP inks for ink reviews is more or less my only experience painting, so I should be more used to how inks behave on paper by now...

I remember seeing you post some of her monochrome pieces (the Confederation Brown one comes to mind--that was one of her pieces, right?), Those are definitely more down my alley :).

Here's the latest--I realized that in thick lines, the way Kira-Guro reflects light contrasts oddly with all the other inks. Maybe I finally have a good excuse reason to get more black inks...

I'm so glad you share your work. I adore it . . .

AWESOME!!!... And yes... the confederation brown is a good example. One thing she has discovered is that some inks are so complex, that when water is added.. they break down in a beautiful array of colours. I'll find an example. I am sure you know what I am talking about.. :D :D

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Thanks, Tas :) I don't remember where, but you posted a drawing of some utility poles (maybe it was in this topic...) that I really liked, and since then I've started to appreciate them (despite the fact that I can't draw a straight line to save my life).

Example of one INK... (really)... that shows the lovely chromatography.. displaying other colours..

Edit: Forgot to say.. Ink: Robert Oster Schwarze Rose from the Shake'n'Shimmy line. Artist: @iamjoopiter

fpn_1534188745__schwarze_rose.jpg

Edited by Cyber6

**** BauerInks.ca ****

Oooh, that's really cool. I haven't paid any attention to the Shake n Shimmy line because I'm not a fan of shimmer inks, but that base color is really nice. The first time I saw an ink's components really separate with water was with Kanocho Midnight, and it blew my mind. Also, Nick Stewart's stuff with ink and bleach is fascinating too, though I've never messed around with bleach myself.