FPN's PEN ART GALLERY

Titivillus

Helloo ink artist, you have a good work, enjoy to watch your drawings.

I had a lot of duties, but I still found time for this boxy swan.

King regards and good rest of the day !

kocckasta_labu_ovina.jpg

pen - Rotring Art pen

Rotring Artpen ink

paper - Fabriano 160g/m2 - A3

Very nice. What's the nib on the pen? I have a Rotring with an EF nib, and that's nice for sketching with.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew_L

• parkerwasmyfirstlove

• inkstainedruth

• Astronymus

Great artwork anyone and you gave me some cool ideas for projects, after I've finished this:

29875451754_a72ef075f7_z_d.jpg

To give you an impression, I guess it needs two fillings of the TWSBI Eco to be completed.

I'd like to produce more smaller sketches for this month, but currently this is my inktober, lol.

Also I read the paper article with great interest and I guess a lot depends on personal preference and technique. I wonder whether 150 g/m^2 paper makes much difference compared to 300 g/m^2 for example - except stiffness of the paper.

Here I'm using Din A4 Chanson 180 g/m^2 and I think it's okay. It brings out the contrasts pretty good, but could be a bit more forgiving. But overall, I'm quite satisfied, I could get this from a shop a 10 min bicycle ride away. Sometimes convenience also plays a huge role.

Tas: Good going on the 20th anniversary! Well done to you and your wife both! That Harry Callaghan photo is indeed very interesting. 3 lines going this way, and 3 lines going that way! It's about the space between the lines, isn't it? I would love seeing your work, but only if you feel like showing, no pressure. Promise!

Wolf: Gorgeous swan! I really like the 3 angle hatching you did on the background too!

flummoxed: I am happy to hear that even you use pencil underdrawing/guide lines. You are doing a wonderful job of expressing the emotion and mood of the characters, especially in the last two studies you did. I am really enjoying seeing your work.

Paker: Wow wow wow! I can almost see every single hair on that pooch! Amazing work in progress right there. I am sure your client will be super happy with that one. Good luck with the rest of the piece!

​I agree that the paper's weight doesn't really matter too much when we are working on ink only, but I am finding out that when I put on watercolour wash over ink, I definitely want 300gsm weight of paper, especially if the piece I am working on is larger than a sketchbook size. And suitable sizing of paper is required so that the paper won't absorb water like a blotting paper might. Even with taping the paper on a board, with heavy wash of watercolour the paper will buckle and leave huge valleys for the pigments to sink into and stay, so for watercolour I need minimum 300gsm. But for ink sketching I usually just use anything from 160gsm/200gsm to 300gsm. The texture of the paper is quite important to achieve certain effects I want in watercolour (rougher), as well as ink drawing (smoother). I am having lots of fun experimenting!

I managed to take my sketchbook and pen out today while the kids did their Nippers (surf life saving, kids version) practice. I was considering putting light wash of watercolour over but ran out of time.

30473103546_d9e9958cee_b.jpg

30473130136_a25b763785_b.jpg

Pen: TWSBI Mini Classic with vintage 14K "Standard" flex nib

Ink: De Atramentis Document Black
Paper: Daler Rowney 200gsm cartridge paper made into A6 size sketchbook
30211295760_b98e9e3087_b.jpg
Ink line and watercolour
Pen: Platinum Plaisir with 0.3 nib
Ink: Noodler's Lexington Gray
Paper: Bockingford 300gsm Cold Press Watercolour paper (15cmx15cm/6"x6")

SNAK: This is a very cool pen pouch and notebook. Unfortunately, I'm not into binding some myself (yet). Also such a pen pouch is sth. I'd like our oldest daughter to make for me as a christmas present ;).

And the seagulls are amazing!

Considering the paper, yes, bulging is much of an issue with wetter colours (watercolours). But I have sampled thick papers which bulged like crazy, while thinner ones didn't. Also I have the impression, that how long/ short the fibers are, makes quite a difference. Also with some paper, after using water the surface is disturbed more, so drawing on it with a pen produces blurry lines, while other paper may be more forgiving.

Sorry, I never really thought much about that. I only try to observe how the paper reacts to my treatment.

I'd like to produce more smaller sketches for this month, but currently this is my inktober, lol.

Also I read the paper article with great interest and I guess a lot depends on personal preference and technique. I wonder whether 150 g/m^2 paper makes much difference compared to 300 g/m^2 for example - except stiffness of the paper.

Here I'm using Din A4 Chanson 180 g/m^2 and I think it's okay. It brings out the contrasts pretty good, but could be a bit more forgiving. But overall, I'm quite satisfied, I could get this from a shop a 10 min bicycle ride away. Sometimes convenience also plays a huge role.

@[member='parkerwasmyfirstlove'] That is really detailed and would require a lot of patience! Looks really lovely at this point. I'm pretty much just drawing/sketching this month as and when I can rather than the sketch a day that most people do.

Tas: Good going on the 20th anniversary! Well done to you and your wife both! That Harry Callaghan photo is indeed very interesting. 3 lines going this way, and 3 lines going that way! It's about the space between the lines, isn't it? I would love seeing your work, but only if you feel like showing, no pressure. Promise!

Wolf: Gorgeous swan! I really like the 3 angle hatching you did on the background too! 

flummoxed: I am happy to hear that even you use pencil underdrawing/guide lines. You are doing a wonderful job of expressing the emotion and mood of the characters, especially in the last two studies you did. I am really enjoying seeing your work. 

Paker: Wow wow wow! I can almost see every single hair on that pooch! Amazing work in progress right there. I am sure your client will be super happy with that one. Good luck with the rest of the piece!

​I agree that the paper's weight doesn't really matter too much when we are working on ink only, but I am finding out that when I put on watercolour wash over ink, I definitely want 300gsm weight of paper, especially if the piece I am working on is larger than a sketchbook size. And suitable sizing of paper is required so that the paper won't absorb water like a blotting paper might. Even with taping the paper on a board, with heavy wash of watercolour the paper will buckle and leave huge valleys for the pigments to sink into and stay, so for watercolour I need minimum 300gsm. But for ink sketching I usually just use anything from 160gsm/200gsm to 300gsm. The texture of the paper is quite important to achieve certain effects I want in watercolour (rougher), as well as ink drawing (smoother). I am having lots of fun experimenting!

@[member='SNAK'], while I largely use only pencils, fountain pen, charcoal and dip pens, the paper choices are driven by these choices and by availability. As I do not use oil or watercolour my requirements become much simpler. Access to some of the paper you and @[member='parkerwasmyfirstlove'] mention are either not easily available or are expensive for someone who only does this once in a while and isn't a professional.

@flummoxed

Thank you !

Swan is from my memory(photo) with my cubic style, moon is my idea as a background.

Is not difficult to draw this, just some practice and just relaxed.

--------------

@SNAK

Thank you man, I like to draw long continuous paralell line.

--------------

@inkstainedtruth

Thanks !

Yes, and my nib is EF. I pretend thats size nib's, because I have more control and precision

and lines is look fine.

----------------

King regards for all inkaholic !

• 2 weeks later...

Lovely art work!! Here's a few I've played with. This first one is Lamy M with black Lamy ink, pencil and Diamine Oxblood (believe it was a mismarked sampled) from a Karas Kustom 1.1 Italic nib.

This second one was the same Fountain Pens. Playing with my lettering.

post-132566-0-58494800-1478732901_thumb.jpgpost-132566-0-35313200-1478732920_thumb.jpg

The pen, is truly mightier than the sword!

Here's another little one done on copy paper. Lamy M and black ink. I'm going to put this one into photoshop and get a good rendering of it completed.post-132566-0-18486600-1478806021_thumb.jpg

No idea why these keep postin sideways from my iPhone...

First: Cool additions to the thread Inkedinker:

Second: The sideways tilt is easily explained and resolved:

By default the pictures are stored in landscape mode on modern devices and the tilt is stored in the exeif data in the file (lossless rotation). So you take a portrait, it is stored in landscape mode and the smart app then reads the exeif data of the file and displays it correctly.

However "dumb" apps - like the forum don't read the exeif tag and display a portrait in landscape mode.

So, the easy remedy would be to edit the image file slightly, because then the roatiton would be stored hardwired into he image file. You always could go back to your original file, since iOS keeps the previous versions. Sorry no experience with Android, but I guess it is similar.

The explanation was simplified btw. Actually it is a little bit more lengthy.

Third: While working on the doggy, I did the following experiment to smooth the nib a bit :D

22755938878_50e4ba8e92_z_d.jpg

Karisma colour pencils over Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite in Seawhite of Brighton sketchbook.

I like the dark denim look of this one.

22755938878_50e4ba8e92_z_d.jpg

Karisma colour pencils over Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite in Seawhite of Brighton sketchbook.

Fab. Art from maintenance , love it.

First: Cool additions to the thread Inkedinker:

Second: The sideways tilt is easily explained and resolved:

By default the pictures are stored in landscape mode on modern devices and the tilt is stored in the exeif data in the file (lossless rotation). So you take a portrait, it is stored in landscape mode and the smart app then reads the exeif data of the file and displays it correctly.

However "dumb" apps - like the forum don't read the exeif tag and display a portrait in landscape mode.

So, the easy remedy would be to edit the image file slightly, because then the roatiton would be stored hardwired into he image file. You always could go back to your original file, since iOS keeps the previous versions. Sorry no experience with Android, but I guess it is similar.

The explanation was simplified btw. Actually it is a little bit more lengthy.

Third: While working on the doggy, I did the following experiment to smooth the nib a bit :D22755938878_50e4ba8e92_z_d.jpg

I appreciate the explaination!! And beautiful artwork as well!!

30744186480_3c9e3df964_z_d.jpg

And finally managed to finish this. Done with my TWSBI ECO (EF) - Waterman absolute brown

And a little bit of touch up with my Karismacolor pencils.

This is a Din A3 size sketch. I assume the head size is larger than life :)

Ahh, the joys to be had when ink, pen and paper play well together . . .
http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_tampa_avenue_venice_florida.jpg

Ink: Kyo no oto nurebairo
Pen: Pilot Custom 912 PO nib
Paper: Cass Art 300gsm Watercolour paper.

Flummoxed: thank you very much.

Tas: That is a cool urban sketch, I really like the composition of your sketch. But you weren't outside in a car sketching, weren't you? Is it located in London?

31142338796_644a971778_z_d.jpg

My wife asked me to take a better photograph of the doggy sketch before shipping it to its new home. And today was the opportunity.

Problem is, I don't have a desk of my own, so I share the workspace with the kids, which is a bit tricky.

Just a few days ago, I was doing some Japanese exercises, when our 4 year old fraggle splashed her water over my notebook. There was not much damage, I mean the notebook was ruined, but it wasn't a very good one anyway. So you get the point, lol.

More important/ delicate work is done at night which is not very suitable for taking photographs.

Edited by parkerwasmyfirstlove

Flummoxed: thank you very much.

Tas: That is a cool urban sketch, I really like the composition of your sketch. But you weren't outside in a car sketching, weren't you? Is it located in London?

31142338796_644a971778_z_d.jpg

My wife asked me to take a better photograph of the doggy sketch before shipping it to its new home. And today was the opportunity.

Problem is, I don't have a desk of my own, so I share the workspace with the kids, which is a bit tricky.

Just a few days ago, I was doing some Japanese exercises, when our 4 year old fraggle splashed her water over my notebook. There was not much damage, I mean the notebook was ruined, but it wasn't a very good one anyway. So you get the point, lol.

More important/ delicate work is done at night which is not very suitable for taking photographs.

Glad you took another photo, it's such a special piece !

Thank you for your kind words.

And you're right, I wasn't in the car when sketching but took a photo whilst on holiday in Venice, Florida knowing I'd want to sketch that scene but sadly knowing I'd not have time to do so (properly) when there.

I'm fascinated by telegraph poles. Sad I know :unsure: