FPN's PEN ART GALLERY

Titivillus

Okay...I'm just going to throw this out there for all of you lurking in the shadows or strolling through on your way to check out the latest pen bling.

I'm certainly going to continue posting artwork ...because I don't 'write' much. I draw. Therefore I don't actually participate in the *waves arms* rest of the forum beyond reading.

Oh sure...I have my favourite 'writing' pens (my precious 1950's era Esterbrook J(s) with Osmiroid itallic nibs)....hence I'm good. Not interested in another pen.

I am always testing out ink.... but the way I do that is by drawing trees (SO MANY TREES) ...you can see them here: https://www.pinterest.com/cobaltdragon1/arboretum-inkadelica/.

While I occasionally drop them into other people's 'official' ink reviews I still just consider them drawings because my purpose behind them is not to see how they react with a given pen but how far I can push them until they break. I am intrigued by the organic nature of fountain pen ink. My trees look cool but to a writer...not so useful.

SO.. here we are, with me pretty much haunting this corner of FPN.

THEREFORE: If anyone is interested....I can come up with a weekly drawing challenge that is unique to FPN...because sometimes people need motivation or a simple goal. Nothing complicated. No critiques. Just a for fun, unified effort to put INK to paper with a variety of intepretations on a theme or subject.

Any thoughts? Let me know ...I'll be here posting my self imposed challenges. ;)

Edited by Pira

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew_L

• parkerwasmyfirstlove

• inkstainedruth

• Astronymus

Oldtimer, your Kitteh Life Drawings are very appealing!

Three different subjects, three different pens 'n' inks. I could get used to this.

21989162454_43b5f7013b_z.jpg

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Once a week? Count me in.

That's great! We'll wait a bit to see if anyone else bite and then we can launch it. Although we are coming upon the holiday season of madness....we might consider it for the New Year unless people need a bit of an escape from the madness and would prefer it before then :)

Three different subjects, three different pens 'n' inks. I could get used to this.

I like these a lot :D

THEREFORE: If anyone is interested....I can come up with a weekly drawing challenge that is unique to FPN...because sometimes people need motivation or a simple goal. Nothing complicated. No critiques. Just a for fun, unified effort to put INK to paper with a variety of intepretations on a theme or subject.

Any thoughts? Let me know ...I'll be here posting my self imposed challenges. ;)

I'll try to keep up. :)

I admire all you out there who just throw your ink at paper without working it up in pencil first, and that got me to thinking that I really NEED to get back to sketching. It'll be good for me...like eating ones greens. Because I actually require tri-focals and haven't pulled the trigger on purchasing them yet I am going to limit myself to objects that I see while also being able to focus on the paper...meaning those no further than 30 cm (12 inches) from my nose.

Today's sketch is drawn with R&K Alt-Goldgrun on Stillman&Birn, Zeta paper

22801854441_094a4e1bd7_b.jpgSketch: Nov 3 by Pira Urosevic, on Flickr

Edited by Pira

That's great! We'll wait a bit to see if anyone else bite and then we can launch it. Although we are coming upon the holiday season of madness....we might consider it for the New Year unless people need a bit of an escape from the madness and would prefer it before then :)

Do we get a designated day or will we all post on the same day?

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Do we get a designated day or will we all post on the same day

Thinking aloud here (so to speak)....and feel free to chime in your thoughts:

Let's assume that the theme ('challenge' sounds so daunting) runs from Sunday - Saturday. We are all straddling different timezones around the world so we shouldn't get our knickers in a knot if there is some overlap. Besides people fall off the grid for various reasons (holidays, weather knocking out the internet and/or power, travel, workloads) so...if they need to throw in work done but not posted on time for a specific week that's cool. The point is to draw.

You can post any time you want during that week. Yes?

Do people want me to throw out themes in here every Sunday, or do we pow-wow and collaborate for a master list? I can stick my hand into a bag and pull out a random challenge from the contributed ideas and post it Sunday....or all the challeges for the month? Do people want it to a surprise week to week? Or do they prefer knowing in advance?

:)

I like these a lot :D

Thanks. I love the Alt Goldgrun bottle. Oh, and I use pencil....see the lines, lol?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Okay...I'm just going to throw this out there for all of you lurking in the shadows or strolling through on your way to check out the latest pen bling.

I'm certainly going to continue posting artwork ...because I don't 'write' much. I draw. Therefore I don't actually participate in the *waves arms* rest of the forum beyond reading.

Oh sure...I have my favourite 'writing' pens (my precious 1950's era Esterbrook J(s) with Osmiroid itallic nibs)....hence I'm good. Not interested in another pen.

I am always testing out ink.... but the way I do that is by drawing trees (SO MANY TREES) ...you can see them here: https://www.pinterest.com/cobaltdragon1/arboretum-inkadelica/.

While I occasionally drop them into other people's 'official' ink reviews I still just consider them drawings because my purpose behind them is not to see how they react with a given pen but how far I can push them until they break. I am intrigued by the organic nature of fountain pen ink. My trees look cool but to a writer...not so useful.

SO.. here we are, with me pretty much haunting this corner of FPN.

I am certainly one of those who have been lurking in the shadows for a while, admiring the wonderful pen & ink art on this thread. I am predominantly using my pens for writing, but I started drawing earlier this year and I have been experimenting with watercolour wash over the ink line.

I may not be able to keep up with the weekly theme, but I would like to try! So please count me in. Anything to improve my drawing and opportunity to use my pens is wonderful. And Pira, thank you so much for your initiative to get things going! I personally would love to know the weekly theme a little ahead of time as I am rather slow to come up with inspiration and get in the mood to actually do it. But if I can just post drawings a bit later and if that doesn't matter, the weekly suspense of finding out the theme for the week would actually be fun too! I will go with the flow and try to keep up, so whatever is most convenient and sustainable is good, I think.

I'm new to drawing and don't really know what I am doing, but I love doing it, and I love colours! These are a few months old but I don't think I have posted these on the other thread I frequent.

21150697043_30f5e281e9_b.jpg

21745572996_3fede58bef_b.jpg

I am certainly one of those who have been lurking in the shadows for a while, admiring the wonderful pen & ink art on this thread. I am predominantly using my pens for writing, but I started drawing earlier this year and I have been experimenting with watercolour wash over the ink line.

I may not be able to keep up with the weekly theme, but I would like to try! So please count me in. Anything to improve my drawing and opportunity to use my pens is wonderful. And Pira, thank you so much for your initiative to get things going! I personally would love to know the weekly theme a little ahead of time as I am rather slow to come up with inspiration and get in the mood to actually do it. But if I can just post drawings a bit later and if that doesn't matter, the weekly suspense of finding out the theme for the week would actually be fun too! I will go with the flow and try to keep up, so whatever is most convenient and sustainable is good, I think.

I'm new to drawing and don't really know what I am doing, but I love doing it, and I love colours! These are a few months old but I don't think I have posted these on the other thread I frequent.

21150697043_30f5e281e9_b.jpg

21745572996_3fede58bef_b.jpg

Wow. You may be new to drawing but it doesn't come across that way. You have really nice expressive line work.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks. I love the Alt Goldgrun bottle. Oh, and I use pencil....see the lines, lol?

I am horrible at drawing bottles on the fly. Heck I'm horrible at drawing bottles period. I should make that my own personal challenge for sketches....might learn how to deal with my fear of drawing curves.

As for the pencil lines ~ I see them now that you have pointed them out. :) I am all for guildlines!

I love the drawings you shared, they remind me of woodblock prints. What ink do you use for the outlines?

Great attitude by the way. Keep that love of colours and just using them.

As for the drawing challenge (gosh I need to find a better word for that): your vote is for a monthly list (I think monthly because it's easier to keep track of).

So at this point we have:

1) A weekly sketching theme

2) Each theme will run from Sunday - Saturday

3)The themes for each week of a month will be posted at the beginning of the month. (is everyone okay with this?)

4) We shall # the weeks ~ which will be included with the drawing

5) You can post your image any time you wish during the course of that week (if you are unable to do so you may post later but not before)

QUESTION: is everyone comfortable with it continuing in this thread or should we have a dedicated TOPIC for the FPN Weekly Sketch?

I will provide the themes unless anyone else wants to take on that job. Feel free to contribute your ideas to me.

We can start this coming Sunday if those interested wish. Just let me know.

Edited by Pira

Ok, this is my first sketch in this thread.

Normally I post my pictures all in the "Don´t just tell us about....." thread.

I sketch and draw using many different things, not always ink (pencils, watercolor pencils, coloured pencils, markers, charcoal, sanguine, pastel,.....and combinations of it) depending on my mood.

This evenings quick sketch during the time my wife brought my son to bed.

22416491109_a13c4c5f17_o.jpg

(Serwex MB flex EMF ..... ESS Registrars Blue-Black)

Snak, your new stuff looks again great........ I missed it in the other thread.

Pira I really like your stuff, the rabbit recently was great.

Oldtimer, keep it coming, I like your Serpent and your Cats.

I would vote for a separate thread. This thread has been going for quite some time and is where, if a person has a sketch or drawing to share they can....no special theme. I think a separate thread would be fine, especially for those who might have a problem coming up with an idea or need some motivation.

It reminds me of a book group where everyone reads the same book, which is fine for some people. While others like the pick their own book or subject. I think changing this to a themed thread would change the nature of things entirely and leaves some people without a place to post drawings and sketches.

Below is one of my most recent sketches.

post-17497-0-03231600-1446755602_thumb.jpeg

Edited by linearM

New discovery...... that which is more difficult than sketching a cylindrical R&K bottle: a Diamine one. :rolleyes:

I will learn how to draw these things or expire trying.

22814959791_cd8829828c_b.jpgDiamine ~ Autumn Oak sketch by Pira Urosevic, on Flickr

Ha. Great minds think alike . . . :)

(some old sketches)

http://www.taskyprianou.com/vac_700_ancient_copper_fpn.jpg

http://www.taskyprianou.com/falcon_and_leipziger_schwarz.jpg