FPN's PEN ART GALLERY

Titivillus

NaDrawMo!

I've been enjoying seeing this thread spring to life this month, and it's good to see that not just Inktober participants have been encouraged to share their artwork here too. I'll carry on staring at the hoop, aiming instead for the fiction-writing hoop at the other end of the court.

:lol:

I'm not ready to be aiming at that hoop yet. Although I've got bits and pieces of storylines bouncing around in my brain....

Here's today's drawing -- not nearly as adorable as Pira's, admittedly; illustration was never my strong suit.... I'm pretty good at drawing what's in front of me (and on occasion tweaking it if necessary); but I can't draw stuff out of my head. I'm also finding that (as in today's) ink might not be the right medium in all instances. I was always better doing oil painting. Even watercolor might have been better for some of these, in order to really pick up the highlights and reflections (and I'm really *terrible* at watercolor...).

fpn_1446173087__inktober_day_29.jpg

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew_L

• parkerwasmyfirstlove

• inkstainedruth

• Astronymus

:lol:

I'm not ready to be aiming at that hoop yet. Although I've got bits and pieces of storylines bouncing around in my brain....

Here's today's drawing -- not nearly as adorable as Pira's, admittedly; illustration was never my strong suit.... I'm pretty good at drawing what's in front of me (and on occasion tweaking it if necessary); but I can't draw stuff out of my head. I'm also finding that (as in today's) ink might not be the right medium in all instances. I was always better doing oil painting. Even watercolor might have been better for some of these, in order to really pick up the highlights and reflections (and I'm really *terrible* at watercolor...).

I don't have it in me to participate in NanoWriMo ~ I don't have the capacity to put enough words together to tell a story...I'd be more inclined to illustrate one ;)

Nice sketch Ruth....I'm probably the opposite of you, although I do need to know what something looks like in order to draw it. Perhaps we can set up weekly challenges. FPN 52 Sketches 2016 Just make a list and try to fill it over the course of the year.

My first new sketch in ages, done with a Platinum 3776 Bourgogne (M) and a mix of Platinum Black, JH Rouge Caroubier, and MB Corn Poppy.

22582913701_7f319539a7_z.jpg

Love your ducks!!!!

It is a lot to live up to, isn't it? Just one more day to go.

Here's today's. Not sure if tomorrow's will get done and posted early, get done early but posted late (possibly as late as Sunday -- Ineed to leave for a wedding around 4 pm), or get done *at* the wedding itself....

fpn_1446252902__inktober_day_30.jpg

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

And here's the final one for InkTober 2015. Because it's the end (whew!) I'm not reducing the size (I've already cropped it and checked how many MB it is, and it's within the limit for uploads (although I did save a scaled down copy as well)....

fpn_1446319916__inktober_day_31.jpg

It's been an interesting journey, to say the least....

Inktober 2015 ~ #30....Pumpkin Demolition Expert drawn with an assortment of inks on Stillman&Birn, Zeta paper. I am honestly looking forward to this month being over. =_=

21995254154_0d3685253a_b.jpgInktober 2015 ~ 30 by Pira Urosevic, on Flickr

Lol...that's why I stopped putting Jack-o-Lanterns on the lawn.

Love it.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Are the two of you going to take a break now or will we be seeing more drawings!? It has been fun seeing the creativity and skill that both of you have shown.

Are the two of you going to take a break now or will we be seeing more drawings!? It has been fun seeing the creativity and skill that both of you have shown.

For me, I'm taking a bit of a break because there are other non-drawing things I have to get done over the next week (plus a long term project that I'm now behind on...).

:bunny01: Well done Ruth and Pira!! :bunny01:

:bunny01: No thudding now, it's party time, you both made it!!! :bunny01:

...Thank-you. And Thank-you Ruth for running this race with me :) I celebrated by going out on a date night with Hubby to see the Rocky Horror Picture show. Still finding rice in my pockets :D

I took a break yesterday ...but only because I couldn't find time to sit down at my desk....and it felt odd. As well as the Inktober I had other drawings I needed to do, so the end tally was 47. I'm not even sure how I pulled that one off. :wacko: On Sunday though, I couldn't help myself and spent time doodling a dia de muertos La Calavera Catrina. Some people write...apparently others have a need to communicate via pictures of some sort ;)

22680402016_bb0752ca1c_b.jpgdia de muertos by Pira Urosevic, on Flickr

Edited by Pira

I have admired not only your skills but your commitment.

If I'm not in the zone, I sometimes struggle to sketch anything for weeks on end and to see so much beautiful work here from everyone recently (especially Pira and inkstainedruth) has been quite inspirational.

Thank you.

:) :) :)

Starting to mess with De Atramentis Document inks ~ In this case Dark Blue (with Platinum Carbon Black) on Stillman&Birn, Zeta paper.

Hmmm...going to take me a while to learn how to handle these quick drying permanent inks.

22730216326_d5a2368802_b.jpgBlue Bunny by Pira Urosevic, on Flickr

Edited by Pira

I have admired not only your skills but your commitment.

If I'm not in the zone, I sometimes struggle to sketch anything for weeks on end and to see so much beautiful work here from everyone recently (especially Pira and inkstainedruth) has been quite inspirational.

Thank you.

:) :) :)

I know I've been there...for years in fact. I had to keep breaking habits to force myself not to think so much about 'the zone' but rather just do it and let the zone come to me.

I started by sitting myself down with a cuppa coffee in a cafe at the same time every morning for a month and opening my sketchbook. I would have to draw something and by the time I was finished the coffee I had to call it a day and say the drawing was done. HOW did I come up with something? A week before I started this project to kick start myself, I solicited sayings, idioms, ideas (ie;, black & gold, upside down, cat in a hat) from friends and family and had them written down at the front of the sketchbook. I'd choose one each day by looking over them and choosing the one what caused something to pop into my head...then draw that and strike it off the list.

I am just dropping a few and I leave you to look at them and critique. For me sketching is like therapy now that I am retired and with no professional responsibilities. I love to copy other people's work to learn but these are doodles. They do not compare with what I have seen here, but is an activity that provides me with solace.And the opportunity to enjoy my FP's.

This is the bag of food for my cat, several days a go. Done with a Nemosine

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/anangeli/DRAWINGS/IMG_4900%20copy_zpsvvumq2wq.jpg

This is a barrage of nonsense, writing, doodling my night away while watching TV.http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/anangeli/DRAWINGS/IMG_4906%20copy_zpsgcmzrt1p.jpg

... and trying to draw a cat, which is very difficult for me:

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/anangeli/DRAWINGS/IMG_4907%20copy_zpsbrvtv1ks.jpg

This one is on pencil, so it doesn't count. only the outline was made with a fountain pen and then filled in pencil. A copy of a very nice drawing of someone, except the details of the face.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/anangeli/DRAWINGS/IMG_4898%20copy_zpsipw0odyl.jpg

Since I will not post any more, please be lenient with your comments.

This is the more I took to make a sketch (I usually do 5 minutes of sketching per piece,) and spaced it over 2 days, thinking what else I could add to the drawing. Maybe a village and people? This is book I am currently reading... Very philosophical

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/anangeli/DRAWINGS/Feathered%20Serpent_zpsnz3mzxsk.jpg

Edited by Oldtimer

Oldtimer, your cat sketches are pretty good. Don't be ashamed of your work.

Oldtimer ~ great sketches.

No need to apologize for using other's artwork as a source for our practicing. All the best artists throughout history have done it and quite frankly it's an excellent way to just keep honing that eye/hand coordination...because that is what you are doing. Training your brain to interpret what you see and telling the hand what to do. That only happens with practice....and more practice. Another great thing to do is use photographs...they are referred to as 'source material'. After all...we don't all have model's lying around waiting for us to draw them...except cats. And even then they don't always cooperate, right Ruth? ;)

Drawing is many things ~ a source of solace for you. For me it's a bit of spill over of an overactive imagination and a desire to become a better drawer (that really is a word). The hardest thing for me is to slow down...so it is also teaching discipline...at least one hopes. Most of all it teaches me to observe. All those plants I illustrated in October....I'd never drawn any of them before. I would walk my dog in the morning and snag a twig from a neighbour's garden (shhh) and bring it home...look it up online to identify it and then draw it in fashion to fit my needs for that day (ie. # of berries corrusponded with the date) ...in the process I forced myself to LOOK at the flora...very closely. Certainly I was interpretting it with no desire to attempt a photorealistic drawing...but that's 'my' style. I am constantly setting up little challenges for myself...and I fail alot. Yet I learn something each time I try.

I hope you share more of your various doodles and sketches here with us. It's nice to have place within the FPN community where 'drawing' with ink & pens is the focus .... :)