FPN's PEN ART GALLERY

Titivillus

Hello everybody,
I tend not to post my work - but at the San Francisco Pen Show last weekend, the feedback I received on my work while buying new fountain pens made me think you'd be interested.
I was a woodblock printmaker for years, studied in Tokyo, and was born and raised in Rome, Italy. I was an artist in residence at the San Francisco Asian Art museum in 2004 and have been showing internationally for 15 years.
My recent works are ink drawings pairing excerpts of trees and flora with excerpts of contemporary poetry. This is a piece inspired by the poetry of Cid Corman.
I do an initial drawing in pencil after extensive preparatory drawings from life (I've spent a lot of time admiring chrysanthemums!)
http://i.imgur.com/ExFdpyA.jpg
Then I mix purple ink and apply it with an inexpensive Lamy with some flex.
All my work is done with either fountain pens or dip pens. I mix my own inks from an extensive pigment and ink collection I've collected from all over the world.
http://i.imgur.com/KiI0XVh.jpg
And the Corman poem I've been reading and re-reading:
http://i.imgur.com/H8BZHeY.png
Stay tuned to see how it evolves!
Marco Flavio

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew_L

• parkerwasmyfirstlove

• inkstainedruth

• Astronymus

Hello everybody,
I tend not to post my work - but at the San Francisco Pen Show last weekend, the feedback I received on my work while buying new fountain pens made me think you'd be interested.
I was a woodblock printmaker for years, studied in Tokyo, and was born and raised in Rome, Italy. I was an artist in residence at the San Francisco Asian Art museum in 2004 and have been showing internationally for 15 years.
My recent works are ink drawings pairing excerpts of trees and flora with excerpts of contemporary poetry. This is a piece inspired by the poetry of Cid Corman.
I do an initial drawing in pencil after extensive preparatory drawings from life (I've spent a lot of time admiring chrysanthemums!)
Then I mix purple ink and apply it with an inexpensive Lamy with some flex.
All my work is done with either fountain pens or dip pens. I mix my own inks from an extensive pigment and ink collection I've collected from all over the world.
http://i.imgur.com/KiI0XVh.jpg
Beautiful! I look forwad to seeing it evolve :)

• 2 weeks later...

One of the places I regularly get email from is the Artist's Network. A lot of the mail is ads for their publications and videos, but a couple of days ago there was a mention of something called "#InkTober", where artists are supposed to post pictures of their drawings and sketches to social media, with that hashtag.

I'm seriously thinking of trying it (I'm woefully out of practice).

I'm not on Twitter or Instagram (and every time I'm on Facebook I mostly wonder why I bother). But then I remembered FPN, and this thread. The hard part for me of course is to take the time to get the pictures uploaded, but I'm going to give it a try (minus the "hashtag" part of course.... Wish me luck.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

One of the places I regularly get email from is the Artist's Network. A lot of the mail is ads for their publications and videos, but a couple of days ago there was a mention of something called "#InkTober", where artists are supposed to post pictures of their drawings and sketches to social media, with that hashtag.

I'm seriously thinking of trying it (I'm woefully out of practice).

I'm not on Twitter or Instagram (and every time I'm on Facebook I mostly wonder why I bother). But then I remembered FPN, and this thread. The hard part for me of course is to take the time to get the pictures uploaded, but I'm going to give it a try (minus the "hashtag" part of course.... Wish me luck.

Jake Parker's Inktober is a tremendous motivational tool. There are no awards or accolades for participating ~ just the knowledge that you have done your best to participate by drawing with ink every day. Good luck and I also look forward to seeing what you come up with. :)

Some recent drawings with EF pens. I am into learning portraits, so bear patience. I must admit I cheated on the second one: I used a brush pen because I do not have broad fountain pens -- I would like to get one, but until then, a Sakura brush pen does nice to fill large regions.

Naomi Watts
21375441389_f40305cb6e.jpg

Benicio del Toro
21608530992_fda7e2e24b.jpg

Some recent drawings with EF pens. I am into learning portraits, so bear patience. I must admit I cheated on the second one: I used a brush pen because I do not have broad fountain pens -- I would like to get one, but until then, a Sakura brush pen does nice to fill large regions.

Naomi Watts

21375441389_f40305cb6e.jpg

Benicio del Toro

21608530992_fda7e2e24b.jpg

Nice work. No patience neccessary. A persons skill is always evolving ~ even those at the top of their craft. Hope to see more soon :)

OKAY...it's that time of year again and I challenge all FPN doodlers to join into the INKTOBER madness. A drawing a day or just one a week for the duration of the month. Ready. Set. Draw!

Inktober 2015 #1

Diamine Autumn Oak & Diamine Sepia (drawing ink)

21248737143_e800c48390_b.jpgInktober 2015 ~ #1 by Pira Urosevic, on Flickr

Well, life threw me a curve ball this week: low and outside. :( So the first Day of InkTober didn't happen until about 12:30 this morning. But to make up for it I did *two* sketches instead of one, plus am tossing in an old one that I think might never have gotten posted before now (I have a couple of others that are not in this particular sketchbook.

Pen for all three is my Pelikan M400 Brown Tortoise, F nib (although you wouldn't know it because it's such a wet writer). The paper is Ecosystems (not sure of the weight -- it doesn't actually say anyplace on their website, in their small size Artist Journal sketchbook journal (apologies for the weird shadows along the edges -- the cover on my scanner doesn't fit over something that's roughly half an inch thick, and I also cropped the images and resized them a bit as well). I must say that it's pretty nice paper for being 100% recycled....

Ink for today's sketches was Noodler's Walnut (which is a lot redder than I remember my old sample from a couple of years ago being :huh:). Ink used on the old sketch is Iroshihzuku Yama-budo, which is a great color but I think a little too wet an ink for the pen.

fpn_1443841008__inktober_day_1.jpg

fpn_1443841434__inktober_day_2.jpg

fpn_1443841674__sketch1-29-14.jpg

ETA: Hmmm. I see I have to play around with image sizing some more....

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

To draw a face is one thing, to capture someone's likeness is something special ! More please. :)

Gorgeous as always. :)

Love love love your lines. Thank you for sharing. :)

Woohoo Ruth! Glad to see you managed to get some pictures of your artwork up :) I like the cat.

I hope we'll be seeing more.

Pira, can I see a theme progressing? Will we be seeing the 31 squirrels of October? :)

Yeah, the squirrels are great. The trouble with drawing the cat is that halfway through she moved.... :wallbash: The other one is even more wiggly at times, though. If I draw *her*, I will have to work from the photo I took (at least Marion doesn't mind being photographed -- but she looked really weird until I used the "red eye" fix on it; for some reason, Polychrome positively HATES having her picture taken).

This is today's submission. I was watching the premiere of Heroes Reborn on the DVR, and my husband had to get himself something to drink. So we paused the recording, and I did that one quick before he got back.

fpn_1443929629__inktober_day_3.jpg

And yes, the "letterbox format" lines are a bit wonky, and I didn't do the best job of getting the proportions right....

Ah well, such is life.

ETA: Same Ecosystem sketchbook, and same pen/ink combo, as for Days 1 and 2.
Edited by inkstainedruth

Nice quick sketch Ruth :) ...yeah cats. Pets seem to know the moment you are drawing them *shakes head*...doesn't matter what species they are.

Pira, can I see a theme progressing? Will we be seeing the 31 squirrels of October? :)

....and heh, maybe. Maybe not. We'll just have to see ;)

21312939314_bd77c7f13a_b.jpgInktober 2015 ~ #3 by Pira Urosevic, on Flickr

Diamine Autumn Oak, Diamine Drawing Sepia, R&K India Ink Sepa on Stillman & Birn, Zeta paper ~ brush and dip nib

Edited by Pira