FPN's PEN ART GALLERY

Titivillus

1349458121[/url]' post='2478642']

I sketched this fairy with my vintage Sheaffer in my Gamma series sketchbook. I used Montblanc Toffee Brown ink today, so I named her Toffee… The ink is really lovely and nicely saturated!

Pretty girl!

http://ewaludwi.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/toffee.jpg?w=500&h=541

All the best, Ingrid

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew_L

• parkerwasmyfirstlove

• inkstainedruth

• Astronymus

Hi pictogramax, how do you find the Platinum SF? you don't seem to get much variation of line ? but perhaps it just feels really nice for drawing ? Let me know because I have the UEF & have often wondered about the soft fine,although I do worry that it may be too wide a line for me as I like to draw with a very fine line.

P.S. You are most likely are already aware that the new series of Platinum pens are gauranteed as safe to use with Platinums' carbon ink,so confident are they about their new sealing mechanism on their pen caps.

Hi, mik,

I wonder what that UEF looks like? Can you at least see the line?:-)

To me SF is thin enough, I wouldn't go narrower than that; with just a hint of pressure it can leave a fairly anemic line. With a bit of force applied it goes wider, but you cannot expect really broad strokes from it.

To me it's strength lies not it the super-flexy-range, but in springiness of the nib and reliability of the whole pen. It just starts and works every time, even if left for weeks.

And that goes also for Carbon Black - although I have read many recommended precautions, I never had problem with it. I do rinse the whole pen thoroughly each time I re-fill it, but that's all. No special care given; none has been needed too.

The line variation of SF is not dramatic, but it does exist. It can go even broader than you usually see in my drawings, but the nib does feel fragile when I try to push it so I don't do it. I'm satisfied with what it can give in "regular" mode as it does what I want from it - a fairly thin line to begin with and some line variation here and there. But I bought it with that purpose in mind, with a notion that I will use it for delineation and will fill in broader strokes with brush (either black ink with Pentel Pocket Brush, a wonderful tool in its own BTW) or with a watercolor wash over the drawing.

At least for me, a flex pen does not only have to be a wet-noodle to justify it's existence. Soft nibs, springy nibs, semi-flex, falcon nibs... they all have their purpose and can be used for many great things. In the mean time I got a vintage Waterman and it does have a great and flexier nib. But that pen didn't make me want to sell my little 3776:-)

Edited by pictogramax

Twenty minutes of the October sun in a small cafe in Zemun:

http://www.pictogramax.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/PICTOGRAMAX-ESQUISSE-DE-JOUR-121020.jpg

Platinum 3776 SF nib and Platinum Carbon Black ink on Fabriano Disegno 200gr paper

Nice :clap1:

I am curious, does using platinum carbon black mean you have to keep extra care that it doesn't clog up the FP ? Especially fine nibs.

What's your experience?

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

Thanks!

Regarding Carbon Black, I never had any problem. I do rinse thoroughly the pen every time I re-fill, but I do that with all other inks equally. I've read words of caution, but never really suffered from using Carbon Black.

Hi, mik,

To me SF is thin enough, I wouldn't go narrower than that; with just a hint of pressure it can leave a fairly anemic line. With a bit of force applied it goes wider, but you cannot expect really broad strokes from it.

To me it's strength lies not it the super-flexy-range, but in springiness of the nib and reliability of the whole pen. It just starts and works every time, even if left for weeks.

And that goes also for Carbon Black - although I have read many recommended precautions, I never had problem with it. I do rinse the whole pen thoroughly each time I re-fill it, but that's all. No special care given; none has been needed too.

The line variation of SF is not dramatic, but it does exist. It can go even broader than you usually see in my drawings, but the nib does feel fragile when I try to push it so I don't do it. I'm satisfied with what it can give in "regular" mode as it does what I want from it - a fairly thin line to begin with and some line variation here and there. But I bought it with that purpose in mind, with a notion that I will use it for delineation and will fill in broader strokes with brush (either black ink with Pentel Pocket Brush, a wonderful tool in its own BTW) or with a watercolor wash over the drawing.

At least for me, a flex pen does not only have to be a wet-noodle to justify it's existence. Soft nibs, springy nibs, semi-flex, falcon nibs... they all have their purpose and can be used for many great things. In the mean time I got a vintage Waterman and it does have a great and flexier nib. But that pen didn't make me want to sell my little 3776:-)

Right OK,I understand,thanks for that.

Regarding the UEF-yes you can certainly see the line it is comparable to a fineliner sold as a 0.05 when used with a feathers' touch & gives a line of about 0.1 using the same fineliner comparison, when used normally.

I find it a delight for the kind of fine/engraving like drawing I do,although I do use other EF size pens in the same drawing so it doesn't get too light & spidery.

One drawback the UEF does have though is that it tends only to like thinner inks & must be used every day otherwise it will skip, miss & not start etc.BUT I forgive it these short comings gladly & for me if I had to choose just one drawing pen this would be it.

Hello everyone! Great drawings!!!! I haven't posted aything for a while... here is another sketch with my vintage bchr Sheaffer!

Ewa

http://ewaludwi.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/smoke.jpg?w=500&h=836

Hi, mik,

Right OK,I understand,thanks for that.

Regarding the UEF-yes you can certainly see the line it is comparable to a fineliner sold as a 0.05 when used with a feathers' touch & gives a line of about 0.1 using the same fineliner comparison, when used normally.

I find it a delight for the kind of fine/engraving like drawing I do,although I do use other EF size pens in the same drawing so it doesn't get too light & spidery.

One drawback the UEF does have though is that it tends only to like thinner inks & must be used every day otherwise it will skip, miss & not start etc.BUT I forgive it these short comings gladly & for me if I had to choose just one drawing pen this would be it.

Yes, we all have our preferences and that is the beauty of it:-)

Can you post some examples drawings with that UEF of yours, or direct me to your blog/site?

Spent Fountain Pen Day... playing with fountain pens! :cloud9:

Click the link if you'd care to see the "pens at work." ;)

post-88787-0-62665000-1351968931.jpg

I am truly in awe at your skills. Did you do it from memory or did you have another drawing to work from ?

It was very discouraging to see that you did not use the eraser :ltcapd:

Hex, aka George

OK, here are some drawings which include the use of the Platinum UAF(ultra extra fine)& also the Pilot penmanship & Hero 326.

I think the Willows was mostly done with the UEF.

The line around the drawings was done with a graphics programme.

Both of these drawings were done on a A4 size paper.

post-51670-0-24074700-1353537809.jpg

post-51670-0-05992200-1353537862.jpg

Edited by mik

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else having difficulty uploading to the gallery? I keep getting an error message reading: "Used 5.04MB of your 4.88MB global upload quota (Max. single file size: 12MB)"

Any ideas what I (or someone else) can do about this? (FYI, I generally try to keep my image files under 100k.)

[IMG]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png[/IMG]

Let's see:

http://www.pictogramax.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/PICTOGRAMAX-ESQUISE-DE-JOUR-20121205.jpg

Guess it works. Maybe it's not about the size of your images, but the global amount of data you uploaded over time?

Let's see:

http://www.pictogramax.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/PICTOGRAMAX-ESQUISE-DE-JOUR-20121205.jpg

Guess it works. Maybe it's not about the size of your images, but the global amount of data you uploaded over time?

Could be. And I'd be happy to do something about it: if I new what it meant; and I had a clue about how to solve it. :blush:

I guess the easiest way is to contact one of the administrators. Or you can go to your user panel, your gallery, see if you have many images uploaded there and if you can eventually delete any? Not that I've mastered any of that, just suggesting an idea.

I guess the easiest way is to contact one of the administrators. Or you can go to your user panel, your gallery, see if you have many images uploaded there and if you can eventually delete any? Not that I've mastered any of that, just suggesting an idea.

Went into both my Gallery and Downloads files and found "There is no information to show." Tried contacting a moderator a few days ago but no reply thus far. Thanks anyway for the suggestions pictogramax.

inky_artist :(

Went into both my Gallery and Downloads files and found "There is no information to show." Tried contacting a moderator a few days ago but no reply thus far. Thanks anyway for the suggestions pictogramax.

inky_artist :(

Google's Picasa web allows you to embed images you upload. And google offers 1GB for free. That's a lot of photos. https://picasaweb.google.com

So posting here, you could link to your photo on picasa web. I'd bet it's not going offline anytime soon like some other images from posts on this forum.

Like this: IMG_0360.JPG

OK, here are some drawings which include the use of the Platinum UAF(ultra extra fine)& also the Pilot penmanship & Hero 326.

I think the Willows was mostly done with the UEF.

The line around the drawings was done with a graphics programme.

Both of these drawings were done on a A4 size paper.

Wow this is impressive. A lot of detail, something you would expect out of a photograph and not a drawing.

Kudos to you.