FPN's PEN ART GALLERY

Titivillus

6 hours ago, Andrew_L said:

Oh, sorry, I got that I filled almost everything in this thread and my works is too much.

That's a no. You are just more productive. And very good at it.

Should someone ever tell you to post less because of that... post more. 😉

For myself I can only say I'm frustrated by my own lack of skill. Which is probably a result of my concentration on digital skills once I got in contact with the computer graphics world. So, no more manual training. I think, when I look at old sketches, I wasn't that bad and on the right way, but Photoshop and Illustrator were more attractive back then. Later decades of mental and physical injuries. Only in recent years I became creative again.

I think I speak for many when I say be assured your posts are motivating and inspirational. So, keep them coming.

6 hours ago, Andrew_L said:

Then, winter mood sketch, unusual for me in the last time.

01080038sm_AuroraTalentumBlackChr.jpg.38c85a8c8fcabbd51f08af2b326676ac.jpg

(Aurora Talentum, Visconti Green, Double A(A4))

Full review: http://lenskiy.org/2024/01/modern-aurora-talentum-black/

I like that very much. Especialy because one can see it's snowy even though it's all one color.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew_L

• parkerwasmyfirstlove

• inkstainedruth

• Astronymus

Alone, but ready to conquer ..

01120008sm_Pilot823CustEbFeedJoWoCIM.jpg.5eaae29c65a6af8cfff8150d8aee45f2.jpg

(Pilot Custom 823 w|CI&customFeed, Taccia Nakabayashi Ukiyo-e, Double A(A4))

http://lenskiy.org/2022/09/modern-wcustom-nib-pilot-custom-823/

About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org

or watch on social networks

Facebook: @ArtDesignPenS

Telegram: @ArtDesignPenS

Pinterest: ArtDesignPenS

Instagram: @andrew.lensky

Your last drawings have a stronger lyric component. I find them inspirational and poetic, full of hope.

I wish everything goes better on your side this year. A guy can hope, can't I?

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

I agree with @txomsy. And: "There is always hope." - Aragorn

There is a German proverb which says, "Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt." - "Hope is the last to die."

Thanks.

19 hours ago, Astronymus said:

"Die Hoffnung stirbt zuletzt." - "Hope is the last to die."

Yes, it seems to me that such a proverb exists in every language, probably it is international. 

But are hope and faith the same or not?

I would say not. You may lose faith when facts contradict your beliefs. But when you are sure, absolutely certain that all is lost, you may still hope some unexpected turn.

I think that is what most of us are looking forward to, that unexpected turn of lucks, no matter how unlikely it may seem. But, citing Schiller, "against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain", I fear.

And it is often the case that when the last hope is lost, we also lose all fear -for what else is there to lose?- and make that last desperate effort that takes us out of the pit... justifying keeping hope up the next time as well. But let us hope things do not need to go that far.

Sigh. As Pete Seeger said "when will they ever learn?"

Once again I agree. I can't have faith. Hope I can do.

So, do we believe(faith) that good is better than evil, or do we hope that one day good will triumph over evil?

I don't believe.

I've made a fool of myself so many times as to know better than to trust any of my beliefs.

What I know is that I am often wrong. I cannot say what is right or wrong with any certainty. And by extension I don't think anyone else can either. Only time will tell which is better. If we get to extinction with one strategy then it was wrong. If we succeed, it wasn't. But we will only know for sure in the very long run, once the show is over. And by then, by definition, we (nobody) won't exist anymore.

So, I think that we can only hope that our principles are justified, but never know for certain.

That's in absolute terms.

You can also work in "relative" terms, seeing what has worked better for most people so far. Since each of us will call "good" what worked for us, the general concept of "good" is by definition the strategies that have worked better for the huge majority of people so far. And we all know what they are, for they are upheld in all known cultures.

But I wouldn't venture into classifying deviations, other than subjectively. And if you ask me, I have very strong opinions and concerns on some current players (but that's off-topic).

Added: so, in relative terms, we know what has worked well for most of us, so we can with some certainty affirm that what is commonly called good is -in so far as we know- better than what is commonly called evil.

Note to myself: upload a sketch of "The sleep of reason produces monsters" later on.

spacer.png

I am trying to repair a Wing Sung piston filler that had a badly cracked section.  This is the first ink I tried….then Diamine Misty Blue…finally Diamine Midnight, which at least shows up on the page.  

spacer.png

Nope. Still leaks.  Stay tuned for further updates.  Maybe.  😵‍💫

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

As per my self-reminder, here it is. I didn't try to be true to the original but rather to aimed for its free-hand expressiveness. It is a quick sketch directly in pen (using an FPR EMF-modified flex nib) after all.

large.Goya-Sleep_of_Reason.png.72904b01f

After Francisco José de Goya y Lucientes "The sleep of reason produces monsters" .

"Imagination abandoned by reason produces impossible monsters; united with her, she is the mother of the arts and source of their wonders". (Commentary of the author. i.e. Goya himself, not me, I don't have that imagination -much less genius- by far myself).

@Sailor Kenshin: nice washes in those drawings. I'll have to try the technique myself one of these days (still familiarizing with water colors). I like those 60 second sketches. It usually takes me much longer to produce a sketch.

A question: did you wash with a brush and water afterwards or before drawing?

11 hours ago, Andrew_L said:

So, do we believe(faith) that good is better than evil, or do we hope that one day good will triumph over evil?

I think both. One does not need faith to distinguish the nature of good from that of evil.

5 hours ago, Sailor Kenshin said:

spacer.png

I am trying to repair a Wing Sung piston filler that had a badly cracked section.  This is the first ink I tried….then Diamine Misty Blue…finally Diamine Midnight, which at least shows up on the page.  

spacer.png

Nope. Still leaks.  Stay tuned for further updates.  Maybe.  😵‍💫

Great sketches. Quick but very lively. 👏

4 hours ago, txomsy said:

As per my self-reminder, here it is. I didn't try to be true to the original but rather to aimed for its free-hand expressiveness. It is a quick sketch directly in pen (using an FPR EMF-modified flex nib) after all.

large.Goya-Sleep_of_Reason.png.72904b01f

After Francisco José de Goya y Lucientes "The sleep of reason produces monsters" .

"Imagination abandoned by reason produces impossible monsters; united with her, she is the mother of the arts and source of their wonders". (Commentary of the author. i.e. Goya himself, not me, I don't have that imagination -much less genius- by far myself).

@Sailor Kenshin: nice washes in those drawings. I'll have to try the technique myself one of these days (still familiarizing with water colors). I like those 60 second sketches. It usually takes me much longer to produce a sketch.

A question: did you wash with a brush and water afterwards or before drawing?

Nice sketch. Regognized it immediately. 🙂 And wise words from Goya. Relevant to this day.

@txomsy, thanks!  That Goya sketch is wonderful!

I sketched with the pen first, then came in with a water-dipped brush and went over some of the lines.

And @Astronymus, thanks also.  

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

12 hours ago, Andrew_L said:

Putting my tuppence worth in here. 

In answer to your first question, a now-deceased wise man who I shall not name here once stated that 'evil is the absence of some good'.  It is a concept to which I personally agree.  I think is suggests, if not confirms, that good is better than evil.  So yes, I believe good is better than evil.

In answer to your second question, I will offer that human experience tells us that something we can define as evil causes pain of some form to at least some one. While something we can define as good generally causes pleasure or comfort in some way to some one., Logic therefore suggests that it is reasonable to believe the greater majority of people will, in the end, choose that which is good, and thusly good will triumph over evil. 

That at least is what I believe.  But then, I may well be the biggest idiot on the planet.

• 2 weeks later...
The statue of Berehynia (Oranta, ukr: who protects and safety), is top of Independence Monument in Kyiv.

01240017sm_WancherNoodlersUEF_CrossPeerless125.jpg.eadb250e551a96c61dc8e0efefa217a9.jpg
(Wancher DreamPen w|UEF Noodlers flexible nib, R&K SketchInk Marlene, Cross Peerless 125, R&K SketchInk Carmen, Canson Montval 185gsm)

May it stand till the end of time.

01310025sm_PilotCaplessVPsCustomUEF.jpg.04712c84501a558701485709b688c523.jpg

(Pilot Capless VP w|custom UEF nib, Platinum Carbon Black, Sketchbook  paper(A5))