FPN's PEN ART GALLERY

Titivillus

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

@Astronymus-- That is just too cute!  You really need to come up with a comic strip or even an anime series about "Cool Carrot" now!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I thought comic strip as well!  Or license him to a company that sells carrot juice!  An engaging little mascot, he is.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew_L

• parkerwasmyfirstlove

• inkstainedruth

• Astronymus

1 hour ago, essayfaire said:

Or license him to a company that sells carrot juice!  An engaging little mascot, he is.

That would probably be a punishable violation of copyright as I don't own any rights on the original photo. You never know how courts decide. Copyright law is a death trap. ☠️ So, this stays non-commercial, just for fun. 😉

Except I create a cartoon character that's not a direct draw of this photo. Then all rights would be with me.

@AstronymusI'm not sure how copyright law applies to artwork (as opposed to written materials, in which case I had the Berne Convention drilled into me by my mom (partly after my brother was given a photocopied textbook for his German class in middle school, and she ratted the school out to the publisher).  Given that you've changed the drawing from the photo somewhat such as adding the sunglasses, I'm not sure how that would work.

Years ago I attended a class.panel discussion on copyright for artwork and one person said there was a building at the university they had attended designed by some famous architect.  The university sanctioned a student who had either taken a photograph or done a drawing or painting of the building -- and I kept thinking "That CAN'T be right!  It's a different medium, for one thing....  It's not as if the student had designed a replica of the building for an architecture class or done a mockup draftsmen's rendering or something, and was actually passing off that drawing as his/her own work...."  

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Well, that depends on local regulations.

As a rule, you can reproduce anything you see from the street.

But people have rights to their intimacy and may forbid your using them in some countries.

And in some touristic cities, monuments may have a right to their image as well which belongs to the city council and you cannot include them in artworks without permission. The trick is, if you publish your work and they catch you then you'll be fined. If you don't and they cannot catch you, you can get away with it (i.e. for personal use).

Each of us has to know which regulations apply wherever we are at any given moment.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

1 hour ago, inkstainedruth said:

@AstronymusI'm not sure how copyright law applies to artwork (as opposed to written materials, in which case I had the Berne Convention drilled into me by my mom (partly after my brother was given a photocopied textbook for his German class in middle school, and she ratted the school out to the publisher).  Given that you've changed the drawing from the photo somewhat such as adding the sunglasses, I'm not sure how that would work.

Years ago I attended a class.panel discussion on copyright for artwork and one person said there was a building at the university they had attended designed by some famous architect.  The university sanctioned a student who had either taken a photograph or done a drawing or painting of the building -- and I kept thinking "That CAN'T be right!  It's a different medium, for one thing....  It's not as if the student had designed a replica of the building for an architecture class or done a mockup draftsmen's rendering or something, and was actually passing off that drawing as his/her own work...."  

If you photograph the Eiffel tower by day you are free to use the photos for whatever purpose. The copyrights to the design are expired. BUT if you take a phot0 of the tower at night, you get in trouble if you try to make money out of it. Because the lighting was designed by a today's artist. You have either to put a defined copyright mark into it for non-commercial use - like on your private homepage - or pay license to use the picture.

Look closely in the credits of movie depicting Paris at night with the Eiffel tower in the picture. You'll find a reference there to the artist or the design bureau and the studio had to licence their recordings. It's french law. Every country has it's own laws. And it's not called "copyright" everywhere. And it has to reach a certain height of creation. That's for courts to decide in the end.

Even buildings fall under the copyright laws. Basicly everything one creates. Buildings, books, programmes, pictures, photos, sculptures and more. Think of a buildings as a sculpture made of stone, glas and steel. There was a creative design process before it was build. "Star architects" are especially protective of their buildings. Because they still make money out of it after it was build by selling pictures and licences for expensive books to said building.

53 minutes ago, txomsy said:

As a rule, you can reproduce anything you see from the street.

Not entirely. If a person is the center piece of your picture you have to get their permission to publish the picture. Even to your friends and family. This is German law for example. If people are just accessories to the picture, like on a christmas market or public gatherings, you don't need their permission. You must ensure though, that the picture is not defamatory or shows someone in distress, like victims of accidents or crime. There are exceptions for documentary pictures or public persons, like politicians.

It's not the case in the U.S. There you don't need permission. Free hunting grounds.

4 hours ago, Astronymus said:

a punishable violation of copyright as I don't own any rights on the original photo.

I didn't know this character already existed; I had never encountered Cool Carrot before.

Festina lente

9 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

I didn't know this character already existed; I had never encountered Cool Carrot before.

No, Cool Carrot is my creation. But there is a photo of a real carrot in that pose around in the net. You can't just draw of a photo, print the drawing on t-shirts and sell them. The photographer has the rights on the picture and its image motif.  Would I draw cool carrot in another pose all rights were mine. But that wasn't my intend.

First picture, left lower corner. ⬇️

@AstronymusThank you.  With context about the original photo the ensuing discussion about copyright and TM makes much more sense.

Festina lente

On 9/4/2022 at 5:05 PM, Astronymus said:

It's not the case in the U.S. There you don't need permission. Free hunting grounds.

Actually, I think it depends.  When I was interviewed by a TV news crew while waiting in line for a show like Antiques Road Show (but local) I had to sign release forms in case my "man on the street" interviews got aired (the first one didn't get used, but the second one, a couple of years later -- the one where I showed off a couple of vintage Parker pens -- did end up being used as a clip, only I then missed the episode :headsmack:).  

Trying to remember how it worked on a different network for a Zoom interview by a consumer reporter (I can't completely remember the topic, but I think it had to do with mail-in ballots during an election, and that one I did see when it initially aired).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

4 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Actually, I think it depends.  When I was interviewed by a TV news crew while waiting in line for a show like Antiques Road Show (but local) I had to sign release forms in case my "man on the street" interviews got aired (the first one didn't get used, but the second one, a couple of years later -- the one where I showed off a couple of vintage Parker pens -- did end up being used as a clip, only I then missed the episode :headsmack:).  

Trying to remember how it worked on a different network for a Zoom interview by a consumer reporter (I can't completely remember the topic, but I think it had to do with mail-in ballots during an election, and that one I did see when it initially aired).

I agree.  An Image Release is usually required.  I believe one exception is when an individual is interviewed in a professional capacity.

It's madness! The desire for money makes humanity crazy.

I understand when someone creates a copy and issues it for Original is fraud. When someone creates a copy or something like that and not described who has invented, it's theft. I understand when a museum or park takes the money for taking pictures in this place - the money is needed for maintenance. But about the night of Eiffel Tower - a smart person understand that it is corruption. When you want photo of private territory, you require agrees, but public places or worthy of the nation or the world history culture....

About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org

or watch on social networks

Facebook: @ArtDesignPenS

Telegram: @ArtDesignPenS

Pinterest: ArtDesignPenS

Instagram: @andrew.lensky

30-year-old pilot ace Anton Lystopad from Ivano-Frankivsk died at the front. Military was recognized as the best pilot of the Air Force of the Armed Forces of Ukraine in 2019.

09050048sm_ViscontiHSElegance.jpg.a5eb7f1c31f313a985ba426e617037dd.jpg

(Visconti Homo Sapiens Elegance, Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine, Double A(A4))

Full review: http://lenskiy.org/2022/09/modern-visconti-homo-sapiens-elegance-oversize/

09070060sm_PilotCustom823KWFlex.jpg.93356167180b470c3e1cb3ffaf0a3cfb.jpg

(Pilot Custom 823 w|14k custom Kanwrite Ultraflex nib, Diamine Ancient Cooper, Double A(A4))

Full review: http://lenskiy.org/2022/09/modern-wcustom-nib-pilot-custom-823/

6 hours ago, Andrew_L said:

09070060sm_PilotCustom823KWFlex.jpg.93356167180b470c3e1cb3ffaf0a3cfb.jpg

(Pilot Custom 823 w|14k custom Kanwrite Ultraflex nib, Diamine Ancient Cooper, Double A(A4))

Full review: http://lenskiy.org/2022/09/modern-wcustom-nib-pilot-custom-823/

I looked up your post on your website. The Custom 823 is one of my favorite pens. For a time, I carried two of them to work with me every day. (Now I carry two Custom 74s—very similar, but less expensive.) I saw that you have taken yours apart. Be careful with this. I cracked the barrel on two of mine and Pilot USA refused to repair them; they did give me a discount on replacing them with new pens. As for nibs, there have been special editions available from time to time with all of the Pilot #15 size nibs. There is also a clear plastic version available from Pensachi in Japan. I have one on order, now. 

I thought the person in your drawing resembled Volodymyr Zelenskyy. He dresses like a common soldier; I believe his appearance is very intentional. His background is in television, after all. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

My guess is, it makes him harder to spot between the other personnel, too. Camouflage indeed. Still impressed he didn't flee like many other politicians would have done. Got his family out and kept doing his job.

Thank you. I know that all translucent materials in FP are more fragile than non-transparent, so I don't like them)). I'm much more comfortable with 743 than 823, so I don't see the advantage, plus the 845 is even more attractive :)).

I think that the military uniform has no secret meaning, how to hide or something else, because there are no ordinary citizens where the president works. Most likely, there is a purely psychological aspect in support of the military, since the country is under martial law. Regarding the fact that he did not run away, yes, it is very brave, frankly speaking, few managers are still capable of such a thing.

“When peace comes, remember it will be for us, the children of today, to make the world of tomorrow a better and happier place.” - (in memory of) Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom

09090009sm_QueenElizabethIIWancherDreamPenCustomNoodlersFlex.jpg.9a63656379e9ffa62e37398edb2a36e2.jpg

(Wancher DreamPen w|custom UEF Noodlers Flexible nib, Platinum Mix: Pigment Brun Sepia + Carbon Black, Double A(A4))

http://lenskiy.org/2022/07/modern-hybrid-wancher-dreampen-and-noodlers-flexible/

1 hour ago, Andrew_L said:

“When peace comes, remember it will be for us, the children of today, to make the world of tomorrow a better and happier place.” - (in memory of) Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom

09090009sm_QueenElizabethIIWancherDreamPenCustomNoodlersFlex.jpg.9a63656379e9ffa62e37398edb2a36e2.jpg

(Wancher DreamPen w|custom UEF Noodlers Flexible nib, Platinum Mix: Pigment Brun Sepia + Carbon Black, Double A(A4))

http://lenskiy.org/2022/07/modern-hybrid-wancher-dreampen-and-noodlers-flexible/

This is the warmest smile I recall ever having seen the Queen wear.  You captured it wonderfully.

Festina lente