most beautiful vintage celluloid?

sombrueil

"Thankfully" my piston blew up very early, when enough folks had had the material and willingness to repair them.

I use mine frequently and without (too much) trepidation.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sombrueil

• fountainpagan

• gregamckinney

• gweimer1

Mine has a lovely medium sub and was in regular rotation until last week when I cleaned it (somewhat stressful for me) and put it away for a while to rest. :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Soennecken's celluloids as well as the Sheaffer Ebonized Pearl are among the nicest

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

For me Soennecken 111 tortoise is the most beautiful

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/35/wnh0.jpg

But Bayard has some beautiful ones too (Le Spécial 8 - 1930)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/661/Ejfbmi.jpg

And I find the "icy" celluloides quite nice (Astro Pen 1930)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/540/pJORb4.jpg

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Wow, there are some really nice looking pens in this thread.

Not sure I have a favorite. I'm a sucker for the Estie J pens in the mackerel pattern (particularly the red and the darker blue). Not sure if they're celluloid pens, but I would not say no if someone gave me a Duofold Lapis Lazuli, or a Pelikan Lapis. B) And I like the "Blue" (and, to some extent, the "Red") color ways on Duovacs.

I'm also a sucker for the sort of combed-look striations in Vac Shadow Waves; and I saw a Duo. I don't like cracked ice patterns for the most part, but I have an Arnold pen/pencil combo that's a cracked ice pattern in yellow and I saw photos of one that was white that was really pretty.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Wow! That Soennecken tortoise is terrific. It's what happens if you feed a Pelikan LSD!

:lol: :lol:

That Soennecken has been my Graal, for years. I fell inlove the moment I saw it.

Edited by fountainpagan

WomenWagePeace

Lately, I've been really liking these two.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/gweimer/Favorite_Cellulose_zps0f816f55.jpg

So what are those gorgeous pens, eh?

Ahhhh...details.

I have no idea what the blue one is. I got it at the Ohio Pen Show for $1, and then fit the section and nib to it. It's been my daily pen lately. The barrel is glass smooth.

The brown/tan one is a Waterman Lady Patricia that just wowed me from the start. I had planned on selling it after I restored it, but it writes so smooth that I'm keeping it. Not bad for a $17 investment.

i am really fond of the Persian pattern waterman patrician/lady patricia pen. i just think it ages so gracefully, so many other celluloids look terrible when they discolor but that pattern is the only one i can think of that looks as good if not better.

Ahhhh...details.

I have no idea what the blue one is. I got it at the Ohio Pen Show for $1, and then fit the section and nib to it. It's been my daily pen lately. The barrel is glass smooth.

And what a lovely daily pen it is. :puddle:

If I were the sort of person that matches ink to pen barrel -- which I'm (mostly) not I'd be putting a medium to dark blue ink in it, or a blue-black that doesn't lean teal.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Lately, I've been really liking these two.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b170/gweimer/Favorite_Cellulose_zps0f816f55.jpg

These are really beautiful.

I amaze at the bargains one can get in the US!!!!!

I find the blue one quite unsusual. If ever you are tired of it... ;)

WomenWagePeace

One of the most beautiful pens shown here on the com was a second tier Blackbird of the Swan company....in the top five of the pretty pens I've had the pleasure to see.

That Soennecken was my grail pen, but the money burned a hole in my pocket after only three months.

I got a 500, 400n both in tortoise, Celebry and a Pelikan pen stand in a week instead.

Money and I have but a passing acquaintance.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Well, firstly I couldn't identify celluloid without looking at a book. I joined this forum around the middle of this year and since then have somehow acquired:

1. A striped Parker Duofold Debutante. Is this celluloid? I don't know, but then I showed it to some local people who said that, even in its unrestored state, it was just like paua shell inlay (paua is a New Zealand shellfish thing that polishes up all iridescent and stuff).

2. A cheap-as Moore Pen in a pattern that I believe is referred to as basketweave - and it's green. Most stunning finish I have ever personally set eyes on. Is it celluloid? I don't know, probably.

yes, those are both celluloid. See why I love celluloid?

well actually I should not swear to the Moore, since I am not familiar enough with the brand to say whether they hung in long enough to make the transition to "resin".

Edited by sombrueil

I adore the Parker Vacumatics standard aesthetics. I love those pens. It doesn't hurt that the best pen I have owned is a '42 Golden Pearl stub.

But I also love a lot of the old Waterman designs. The Thoroughbred, which was not a deluxe pen as far as I can tell is nevertheless, totally gorgeous, especially this finish. Red marbled (?) with thin green streaks. Lordy.

& this very pen, posted in the classifieds here, is now on it's way to me.

I have never seen one up for sale that wasn't the grey & red. Love the looks of this, Very Christmas-y too. hehe.

post-115445-0-04124100-1418304692_thumb.jpg

post-115445-0-58511000-1418304694_thumb.jpg

post-115445-0-00174300-1418304696_thumb.jpg

post-115445-0-21218400-1418304697_thumb.jpg

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Mabie Todd of Course; I cannot believe that so far there has been no mention of MT's superb pens.

post-117400-0-15162700-1418306961_thumb.jpg

post-117400-0-62310800-1418307197_thumb.jpg

post-117400-0-21765600-1418307220_thumb.jpg

post-117400-0-51260300-1418307378_thumb.jpg

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg