Noodler's Challenge Met

Blade Runner

Someone I know told me that his nephew, a student (or former student) at MIT, met Noodler's challenge to remove their indelible ink from paper. He did it with laser technology and received the reward for his efforts. It's probably old news to some, but I thought I'd mention it. Was the indelible ink re-worked to resist laser removal?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• Tweel

• Possum Hill

• Monophoto

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone I know told me that his nephew, a student (or former student) at MIT, met Noodler's challenge to remove their indelible ink from paper. He did it with laser technology and received the reward for his efforts. It's probably old news to some, but I thought I'd mention it. Was the indelible ink re-worked to resist laser removal?

It has come up here. A search on "noodler's" and "laser" will probably turn up the thread.

Apparently that was part of the inspiration for Noodler's Warden's series of ink.

It's very interesting and several members have reviewed the new inks; I don't think that a lot of us are very concerned that someone would go to such lengths to defraud us. In my case it would be a lot of work for little gain.

From Wikipedia -

"In November 2003, the company ran a promotional challenge offering $1000 to anyone who can remove Noodler's Bulletproof Black or Polar Blue ink from a standard check. The prize went unclaimed, and every year since then, another $1000 has been added to the purse. As of 2009, no one has come forward to claim the prize.

In 2009, Nicholas Masluk, a graduate student at Yale University’s physics department, proved that "bulletproof" ink could be removed with diligent use of a laser that he built for a few hundred dollars using parts bought on eBay. Masluk contacted Nathan Tardif with his discovery, and the two went on to test a variety of inks to see how well they could withstand laser attacks. Noodler's has since developed a new series of inks resistant to both chemical and laser attack."

When I was in the university, I was pretty busy. Apparently, things have changed, and Mr. Masluk has some spare time on his hands.

When I was in the university, I was pretty busy. Apparently, things have changed, and Mr. Masluk has some spare time on his hands.

Well, every generation hopes that its children will be better than itself, right? Apparently he could handle both.

-- Brian

(the underline is a link, not a snotty jab at "you"!)

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Was the indelible ink re-worked to resist laser removal?

This is now covered in the Warden series, Bad Blue Heron, Bad Belted Kingfisher, Bad Black Moccasin and Bad Green Gator.

BBK is my favorite blue from Noodlers now!!!

Edited by farseer911

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg