Good Cheap Pens?

Djehuty

That's weird. All my Safaris and also my Vista ED have no problem feeding even the 1.9 nib. What ink are you using?

I have a 1.5 on my Vista, and the feed just can't keep up with the nib.

The only issue i've ever had with my 1.5 or my 1.9 on my Safari is when I've not cleaned out the nib feed very well when I switch inks. Im not familiar with the internal workings on the Lamy feeds, but it seems like theres a tiny ink reservoir underneath the actual nib that is harder to rinse out. (Maybe some kind hearted Lamy-smith could help us out and explain how Lamy feed work)

I'd say soak the nib assembly in an water/ammonia solution for 20 minutes and see how much more ink comes out. For me the pen has written beautifully ever since I started to be conscientious about when I change inks.

Let me know if that works out for you.

Dave

Got it new, tried first with Pelikan blue-black, but that was way too dry. Washed out thoroughly with water and a drop of dish soap, inked with Sheaffer Red, went through a converter of that before the current converter of PR Orange Crush. Both produce a solid line (Peli BB didn't), but it's no wider than my 0.8mm Sheaffer calligraphy pen, and gets narrower if I make a faster stroke.

I was surprised by your problem, and thought you had a pen with a serious defect, until here.

So, for the width, it is a well known problem (see topics about that in the Lamy subforum). Lamy measures the width of the nib, whereas most makers choose the width of the line produced as a reference. And as a cursive italic nib has rounded sides, the nib is wider than the line.

As the line is solid, I see that you have no serious feed problem. When one writes faster, one's pen becomes drier, and one's line becomes narrower. Ant, you are right, this is particularly visible on italic Lamys. That aside, maybe your pen is even drier than what it should. Actually, Lamy feeds are not all exactly identical. If you have another Lamy, try exchanging the feeds, it may work.

Edited by hehiheho

Pens I use very often: Lamy Accent ("EF": fine), Lamy Accent ("1.1": medium italic), Pilot Custom ("FA": extra-fine flexible).

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Djehuty

• m13a8

• Feanor

• dexaco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For cheap pens, I'd heartily recommend the Parker Frontier and the Pelikan Pelikano. Both are very smooth wet writers in a medium nib. I prefer the line produced by the Frontier as I find it to be a little more consistent, but it's a pleasure writing with these two.

Just pair them up with some free flowing inks and they'll give you amazing performance.

Is anyone familiar with the Chinese Pen Supplier store on eBay? I'm seeing some nice cheap prices there....

this guy is good, but only "profanely" cheap. if you want something "obscenely" cheap, but works very well, try: http://stores.ebay.com/AHAI006_BAOER_W0QQ_fsubZ829334012QQ_sidZ164125542QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

I have bookmarked that site. Thanks! :)

And I just noticed, it seems there are three different pen-makers with "Eight Horse" pen designs which are identical except for cap and nib. Odd.

• 9 months later...

Although I have a couple of Hero 616s, I find them prone to occasional flooding. I prefer the Hero 330. I have two, and both of them are quite smooth, if you like a stiffer nib. I bought mine from Cute Pens (www.cutepens.com). The Wing Sung 'Snake' (not Hero, as listed in Option 1) is also good. Fine point, metal barrel and positive 'click' action cap. It's skinny, though, so might not suit everyone, although it's a great pen for Filofax pen loops! For an eyedropper pen, try the Armour Original, also from Cute Pens. Although only listed as part of Option 4, it's worth emailing and asking Bob Chhugani for a quote for the single pen if you're interested. Fine nib, sounds scratchy, but quite smooth, at least to this lefty underwriter, it is! The Dannitu 119 is good, too. Metal body, medium nib. Writes nicely. Very positive 'click' cap. My everyday 'carry' pen (which is how I found out that the lacquer has a tendency to rub off the brass).

Derick

I know this is an older thread, but I just got a Hero 616 (brand new) and when I write with it, the nib tends to flood from the black part of the feed behind the nib, to the point that it turns into a big drop of ink that I'm worried will drip onto the paper I'm writing on. If I stop writing for a bit, the ink will recede. When I used the pressure bar to fill the pen, it doesn't look like it filled very far, as I cannot see ink in the clear sac nor in the little clutch-ring viewer. Does anyone have any advice?

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

ebay seller streetfair (no affiliation just a satisfied customer)

Rosetta explorer pen - converter - less than $20-25 dollars - great writing little pen and a joy to use

Giving money and power to the government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys - P. J. O'Rourke

Although I have a couple of Hero 616s, I find them prone to occasional flooding. I prefer the Hero 330. I have two, and both of them are quite smooth, if you like a stiffer nib. I bought mine from Cute Pens (www.cutepens.com). The Wing Sung 'Snake' (not Hero, as listed in Option 1) is also good. Fine point, metal barrel and positive 'click' action cap. It's skinny, though, so might not suit everyone, although it's a great pen for Filofax pen loops! For an eyedropper pen, try the Armour Original, also from Cute Pens. Although only listed as part of Option 4, it's worth emailing and asking Bob Chhugani for a quote for the single pen if you're interested. Fine nib, sounds scratchy, but quite smooth, at least to this lefty underwriter, it is! The Dannitu 119 is good, too. Metal body, medium nib. Writes nicely. Very positive 'click' cap. My everyday 'carry' pen (which is how I found out that the lacquer has a tendency to rub off the brass).

Derick

I know this is an older thread, but I just got a Hero 616 (brand new) and when I write with it, the nib tends to flood from the black part of the feed behind the nib, to the point that it turns into a big drop of ink that I'm worried will drip onto the paper I'm writing on. If I stop writing for a bit, the ink will recede. When I used the pressure bar to fill the pen, it doesn't look like it filled very far, as I cannot see ink in the clear sac nor in the little clutch-ring viewer. Does anyone have any advice?

I read on another thread, that watch_art pushed the feed out by pushing on the breather tube in the sac. Maybe your feed is loose? Did you try pushing it in a bit more?

trpofapprobal.png

Derick

I read on another thread, that watch_art pushed the feed out by pushing on the breather tube in the sac. Maybe your feed is loose? Did you try pushing it in a bit more?

Thanks, I will try that today when it is out of ink. Do you happen to know if I need to remove the sac in order to do that?

Derek's Pens and Pencils

I am always looking for new penpals! Send me a pm if you'd like to exchange correspondence. :)

Derick

Thanks, I will try that today when it is out of ink. Do you happen to know if I need to remove the sac in order to do that?

Nope, just push on the breather tube right through the sac! :)

trpofapprobal.png

If you order from overseas, the Pilot 78G is a good quality low cost pen.

Available from Hong Kong for $7.45 each plus a small amount for shipping (registered mail is optional).

The Sheaffer NoNonsense pen is also a good quality low cost pen.

In Ottawa, Ontario? Check out The Ottawa Pen Posse