Looking for a nicely written K

figosmum

Dear all,

I've been playing around with Spencerian, but haven't yet found a nice, flourishy version of the letter K - is there anybody out there who can point me to a nice K?

Both my first and my last name start with a K, so it would be great to be able to "calligraphize" my signature some.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Katinka

WTB: Pelikan Epoch saphire/jade/silver, Cross C-Series Monaco Blue, Cross Compact Magenta, Fuliwen Silver Ring orange or yellow (all with M/B nibs except for Fuliwen)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oceanaocean

• figosmum

• The penner

• WendyNC

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Me too. My first name starts with a K as well and I had to improvise when doing (well, trying to do) Spencerian, because the sheet I learned from didn't have any K's on it - go figure. Check out Spencer's New Standard Writing on Iampeth:

http://www.iampeth.com/lessons/spencerian/new_standard/spencer_new_standard_page1.html

And look at the next page as well.

K.M.J

Very cool. It is also funny that the first 3 letters on the chart are O C D. Coincidence? I think not.

Dave

What is the significance of the O C D? The are some of the 'direct oval' characters. :huh:

K.M.J

Very cool. It is also funny that the first 3 letters on the chart are O C D. Coincidence? I think not.

Dave

What is the significance of the O C D? The are some of the 'direct oval' characters. :huh:

They stand for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. That is something that most of us on this forum share :)

Dave

Thanks for your help! I can't help it, but I just find K to be one of the more boring ones... F, for example, is so much more beautiful! Has anyone found a really calligraphic one (edit: K, I mean) with lots of flourishes?

K-named people in FPN, unite in our quest for a beautiful capital letter...

Edited by figosmum

WTB: Pelikan Epoch saphire/jade/silver, Cross C-Series Monaco Blue, Cross Compact Magenta, Fuliwen Silver Ring orange or yellow (all with M/B nibs except for Fuliwen)

Thanks for your help! I can't help it, but I just find K to be one of the more boring ones... F, for example, is so much more beautiful! Has anyone found a really calligraphic one (edit: K, I mean) with lots of flourishes?

K-named people in FPN, unite in our quest for a beautiful capital letter...

Here are some Spencerian "K"

post-30327-126957252933.jpg

Hooray!!!

Thanks, Oceanaocean, that's exactly what I had hoped for! Very kind of you to post that. May I ask where that's from? Looks like a very helpful source.

I'll start practicing immediately!

Signed,

happy Katinka

At the risk of embarrassing myself, here's how mine look:

http://www.wendy-nc.com/pictures/LetterK.jpg

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Not at all embarrassing - simply your hand and brain attempting to 'emerge' the most natural form that suits your style of writing. I find myself doing this now and again. There are still three or seven letters of the alphabet that I'm working on: A, B, F, H, K and T. I expect them to take a year each !

Toolan

Katinka,

I've become fond of the style shown on pages 21 and following of "Ames' Guide to Self-Instruction in Practical and Artistic Penmanship," which is available as a PDF at

http://www.iampeth.com/lessons.php

(It's under the heading "Cursive Handwriting"). Although the model letter on p. 21 itself doesn't do much for me, I like the examples that occur in the words on the following pages. Not terribly flourish-y, so might not be what you're looking for, but thought I'd mention it.

Best regards,

Brett

Michael Sull Books on Spencerian Script. Go and google his name.....Hope this helps!

I tried to cut and paste but no go....

And once again I would like to share an idea of learning how to form these letters:

Rather than writing them, use your arm to "draw" them in the air, you will be surprised at how the fluidity gets into your brain and then is transferred to your hand.

Found this from IAMPETH

http://www.zanerian.com/OrnPenCapKOpt.gif

I am dying to know where Oceanocean found that instruction. :puddle:

So dear friends,

The name of the book is

Spencerian Script and Ornamental Penmanship

Authored by Michael Sull

published by LDG Publishing

3520 W. 75th St Suite 100

Prairie Village KS 66208

This is Michael's work after he researched and interviewed and studied with the old masters of Spencerian.

It is an entire history, in two volumes, of the heritage of American penmanship and includes many visuals of letter formation and historical visuals. Extremely inspiring!

Not sure if it is still available but google Michael Sull....and there you go......Good luck!

Edited by oceanaocean

Not at all embarrassing - simply your hand and brain attempting to 'emerge' the most natural form that suits your style of writing. I find myself doing this now and again. There are still three or seven letters of the alphabet that I'm working on: A, B, F, H, K and T. I expect them to take a year each !

Toolan

Toolan, what's tough is that what you see there is the emerged form. I find that the two capital letters which start my first and last names are the ones which have deteriorated most over the years. I blame it on over-use. ;)

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.