Pilot Custom 823

jandrese

Nice pen! Can you please include some writing samples just to see how thick that medium nib writes?

Here is a writing sample

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4038/4425569378_2022a7c8b0_b.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• enricof

• Patrick L

• reprieve

Great Review! Thanks! I simply cannot get enough writing time with my 823 and keep looking for more reasons to write with it. It is such a great pen that I really cannot think of a reason to get another 823 and deprive myself the joy of writing with the one I have, the amber color.

All the best,

T

My excuse was that I'd want to have and use more than one nib size. Ergo, my black 823 is a medium and the amber a broad. You just need to focus on developing your skills at rationalization. In NO time, you'll have all three of the 823 barrel types.

I know what you mean.

Having all mediums, they are always inked with difference colors to be free to choose according to morning whim (but often I end with carrying all the three of them...).

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

OMG..this just got me re-opening the box and just staring at this pretty pen..

I've decided, if mine doesnt get sold soon..i'm putting it into my permenant rotation

Thanks Doc for the review..I've linked it to my sale post as I suppose many have no idea what they're missing !

leo

https://imgur.com/8TOQh8v

"Oey !! Gimme back my pen !"

OMG..this just got me re-opening the box and just staring at this pretty pen..

I've decided, if mine doesnt get sold soon..i'm putting it into my permenant rotation

Thanks Doc for the review..I've linked it to my sale post as I suppose many have no idea what they're missing !

leo

actually, your sale posting made me write this review finally. I can't believe your pen has not sold.

Jandrese-- What is that pinkish ink (in the M400 BB) in your writing sample?

Jandrese-- What is that pinkish ink (in the M400 BB) in your writing sample?

Noodler's Hellfire highlighting ink.

Thank you for the review. From the moment I laid eyes on these pens (in a Stylophile's review), I've been wanting to purchase one as an everyday carry around pen. What a beauty!

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

Thank you for the review. From the moment I laid eyes on these pens (in a Stylophile's review), I've been wanting to purchase one as an everyday carry around pen. What a beauty!

Dave

So, you've gotten the demonstrator bug, huh? First the Stipula... :D

Edited by kushbaby

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

Dave

So, you've gotten the demonstrator bug, huh? First the Stipula... :D

I confess.... :)

Actually, my problem is that I have several pens that I've considered "grail pens" that I never actually thought I could really own. The 823 happens to be one of them. You know how it goes... :)

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

Nice pen! Can you please include some writing samples just to see how thick that medium nib writes?

Here is a writing sample

Thanks very much - that's very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

And the beat goes on...

Lovely 823 Demo you have there. While I agree the barrel-lube "stains" are the mark of a pen that actually gets written with, I will say this nudged me toward finding a black 823 (which I did, from Carmen), and which I decided would only be used with black ink (Noodler's Old Manhattan/Blackest Black). Since I do have a small thing for demonstrators, and wanted a pen with similar handling characteristics to the 823, but using blue-black ink, I also bought a Pilot Custom 74 Demonstrator with the large CON-70 converter (using Pilot B-B ink).

http://mysite.verizon.net/bwbenton/Pens/pilot74bbink.jpg

These pens are almost too good for words.

- Barrett

• 11 months later...

i am new to vacumatic ink fill.

can the BARREL be fullyfilled with ink? in that case i hope it fills more ink than a piston filler (eg:PELIKAN). please correct me, if i am wrong.

i am new to vacumatic ink fill.

can the BARREL be fullyfilled with ink? in that case i hope it fills more ink than a piston filler (eg:PELIKAN). please correct me, if i am wrong.

It is hard, if not impossible to totally fill. Nevertheless, a standard fill is more than any piston filler I know of be it Pelikan, MB, Stipula, whatever.

Absolutely, if that's what you want. The procedure couldn't be simpler.

1) Fill normally. You should get 1/2 to 2/3 full.

2) Lift the pen out of the ink. Turn the nib up. carefully pull the piston back out, then slowly push it back in until the ink is just as the back of the section.

3) Put the pen back in the ink and complete the rest of the plunge as normal. You should now have a completely full barrel.

2) Lift the pen out of the ink. Turn the nib up. carefully pull the piston back out, then slowly push it back in until the ink is just as the back of the section.

3) Put the pen back in the ink and complete the rest of the plunge as normal. You should now have a completely full barrel.

Thanks for the info. But I guess that there might be some leakage afterwards ?

I'm not sure where you think the leaking would be coming from. I've never had any in all the times I've tried this technique.

I'm not sure where you think the leaking would be coming from. I've never had any in all the times I've tried this technique.

Excellent then.

The key word is carefully. And by carefully, I mean very, very carefully. But this technique does work well. (And if you happen to squirt a barrel full of ink all over your bathroom, well, consider it a lesson learned. Believe me, you won't let that happen again!)