Pronunciations

passenger

Yo, you Philly people! I'm ashamed of you! You should know it's never wooder, but wudder... y'know, that clear stuff that comes out the spigot. Some pee-pole like to drink it with their haewogees... and then go to the moewvees... (some Philly-accent words are impossible to spell)

And to Mr. Delaware... I've driven on Foulk Rd. a thousand times. So THAT'S how it's pronounced :D

Anyway: two real pronounciation questions....

At the Philly pen show (or is that shaeow?), one person insisted on saying Taccia as "tack-ee-a," while another said it was "tache-ee-a" I tend to think the latter, but does anyone know for sure?

Another debate I heard was whether Recife is pronounced with a hard e. Having had six years of French, I'm pretty sure it is -- Ray-see-fay. But two guys were debating over that or "reh-sife"

BUt the real question is, in New England is is "Park-er" or "Pah-kah"? :rolleyes:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sonnet

• BillTheEditor

• passenger

• Dr.Grace

Yo, you Philly people! I'm ashamed of you! You should know it's never wooder, but wudder... y'know, that clear stuff that comes out the spigot. Some pee-pole like to drink it with their haewogees... and then go to the moewvees... (some Philly-accent words are impossible to spell)

And to Mr. Delaware... I've driven on Foulk Rd. a thousand times. So THAT'S how it's pronounced :D

Anyway: two real pronounciation questions....

At the Philly pen show (or is that shaeow?), one person insisted on saying Taccia as "tack-ee-a," while another said it was "tache-ee-a" I tend to think the latter, but does anyone know for sure?

Another debate I heard was whether Recife is pronounced with a hard e. Having had six years of French, I'm pretty sure it is -- Ray-see-fay. But two guys were debating over that or "reh-sife"

BUt the real question is, in New England is is "Park-er" or "Pah-kah"? :rolleyes:

Quiet, coolpenz! I'm trying to watch the Eagles lose!

Sometimes I write things (as of 2013

http://katesplace7.wordpress.com/

If Taccia is indeed Italian, then it should probably be pronounced TAH-chee-ah (actually, with the local minimal lip movement thing apparently being almost worldwide, it would almost be TAH-cha, unless it's ta-CHEE-ah). As far as I know, it would only be pronounced TAH-kee-ya if it were spelled Tacchia. Sorry to go on an on, but in general Italian words with a c followed by i or e (ciao, for example) have a chuh rather than a kuh sound. To make the k sound, an h is added (as in Pontevecchio) As far as Recife goes, unless it's Italian, I have no idea! :lol: Il Taccia e' una penna dolce, si?

Edited by Sharkle

Ha, ha!!! This is the funniest forum!! Foulk Road should be pronounced "faulk" - somewhat like chalk (fawk): it's just one syllable - but most non-locals don't know what to do with it - haha!! It's really tough to describe online ;)

Anyway, you can really tell if you're from Delaware if...

If we're venturing into another group of languages, "Recife" pronounced strictly according to the Brazilian manner of speaking would be " he-CI-fe" since a Brazilian portuguese "r" is equal to a standard "H"... I guess that might be a bit much...

Anyway, thanks for all the best,

Mike

Flow good, ooze bad!

Mike

I was embarrassed once because I went into a pen store to buy a Lamy Safari, and I said La-mee, because I just assumed it'd be pronounced that way, and the seller kind of pretended he didn't know what I was talking about for a second, and then with a flourish said, "OH you must mean Lamb-ee!" I felt like an idiot. Nice to know that it should be pronounced how I thought...

Don't feel bad. I pronounced it as "Lay-mee". For quite some time, too. Embarrasing when it finally dawned on me... :blush:

I STILL didn't have it right, though. I'm glad I read this thread. Ok, so it's "Lah-mee". As in "I'll have a half-pound of salami," right ;)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

"Muh hayr is on fahr!"
:roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

For some reason I needed to read this aloud to pronounce it. I then collapsed in a fit of giggles. I probably shouldn't try drinking anything for awhile, as it will spew out my nose while I am convulsed with another laughing fit.

I grew up in La Jolla (la Hoy-yah) and even that sounds mangled when you hear a native Spanish speaker in drop it into a sentence. The locals usually are benevolent about mispronunciations. We're all too embarrassed by the "Tourists go home, but leave your daughters," graffittied on every other sea wall.

Since I've spent my life hearing people come up with new and unusual ways to say my first and last name my skin's become pretty thick. I still do get annoyed by the constant attempt of banks, credit cards, etc. to correct the less common spelling of my first name. Seriously, I really do know how to spell my own name. :bonk:

What I really want to know is how visitors can get those Welsh names right?

If Taccia is indeed Italian, then it should probably be pronounced TAH-chee-ah (actually, with the local minimal lip movement thing apparently being almost worldwide, it would almost be TAH-cha, unless it's ta-CHEE-ah).

Oh, no...

My wacky mind latched onto an obscenely annoying commercial that I've been in therapy to help try forgetting it... Chia. The one and only Chia Pet. As in "Che-che-che-chEEah!"

I can just see it now. The next thing they'll come up with is a Chia Pen. "The organic way to write." Give's me a stiff neck just thinking about it!

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Four pages and no one has brought it up, so I will: Viz-conti or Vie-conti? I own one and I don't know if should pronounce the S. I'm such a cad. It's like dating a girl and not knowing what color her eyes are.

Edited by rattybad1

"Inside his cardboard box, Greg heated a dented can of Spaghetti-O's over a small fire made from discarded newspapers, then cracked open his last can of shoplifted generic beer to celebrate the 10th anniversary of his embarkation on a career as a freelance writer." --Lawrence Person

Four pages and no one has brought it up, so I will: Viz-conti or Vie-conti? I own one and I don't know if should pronounce the S. I'm such a cad. It's like dating a girl and not knowing what color her eyes are.

I am sorry to do this again, but if you really want to know, here it goes: If Visconti is an Italian word, you would most likely pronounce the c: vis-CON-ti. If it were spelled Viscionti, then the "ci" would take on an slight "sh" sound. And if you forget your date's eye color, just say that she's got so much delicious going on that concentrating on eye color is too difficult! (And I'm a gal--just tryin' to help out!) ;) And helping you out with Visconti, I'm NOT--I just realized you wanted to know if you pronounce the s. You do if it's an Italian word. :)

Edited by Sharkle

That, in theory, would depend on whether it's Italian of French. "Viscomte" in French is pronounced as Vie-compte. "Viscount" in English (well, you guys should know best) is pronounced as Vai-count. Now, "Visconti" in Italian is pronounced Viz-conti, as far as I know. I second Sharkle on that.

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

- John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Pelikan M800 Green (18C-750 OM), Pelikan 4001 Königsblau

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 M), Diamine Monaco Red

Pelikan M200 "Citroenpers" (14C-585 F), Diamine Prussian Blue

Quiet, coolpenz! I'm trying to watch the Eagles lose!

And they're pronounced "the Iggles".

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

Just as an afterthought -

My brother Breffni (not to be confused with No 2 son of same name) some time ago walked me into it, thus :

Repeat after me

"Air"

"Hair"

"Lair"

"There"

Like an idiot, I did. To which he replied:

"Air hair lair there yourself" :blush:

Is it any wonder :rolleyes:

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

To provide proof of my newbishness and my lack of face-to-face fountain pen discussion, where does one place the accent in Omas? I am thinking it's probably O'-mas, but I've been wrong about such things before so maybe it's O-mas'...

As far as city/town names, there's always good ol' Des Moines, where I went to school. It amazed me the number of adults that didn't know how to pronounce Iowa's capital city. I guess South Dakota's capital city (Pierre) is the same, as I've heard several people pronounce it like the name instead of correctly (pier). There's also a very small town near where I live named Oyens which has been "adjusted" according to the local conservation of lip movement theory described above (why can't we just call it what it is: laziness? :P ) to Owens and, by some, Owns.

As far as city/town names, there's always good ol' Des Moines, where I went to school. It amazed me the number of adults that didn't know how to pronounce Iowa's capital city.

Do you mean the real pronunciation, day MWEH-n'? Or do you mean how the people there mis-pronounce it? :D

Apologies to those who live there, or who have in the past. No offense meant. :ph34r:

Sonnet, the Iggles ain't gone nowhere, as they might say in Sow (never South) Philly. And actually, the city itself is, to true natives, never "Fill-ah-dell-fee-ah" but "fluffya"

Does anyone remember a now-defunct newspaper called the Bulletin, but pronounced "Buh-wah-den"?

And Mike, you know you're from Delaware if you say you're going to put the dirty dishes in the "zinc"

OK, OK, enough tomfoolery. If Recife were Brazilian, it would indeed be ha-see-fay, but as it's French, I'm stickin' with "ray-see-fay" or at the very least, "ray-seefe"

But I agree with the others, it's "Viz-conti." I'm pretty sure that's correct...

AS far as some odd town names... Newark, NJ is pronounced "newerk," but Newark, DE is pronounced "new-ark." Mike, you'll back me up on this?

There's a town in upstate PA spelled Saltillo but pronounced "sa-till-ah" Houston St. in NYC is pronounced "How-stun." And God only knows what the correct pronounciation of New Orleans is... I've heard "Or-leans," "Or-linns" and "N'awlins"

Somebody pass the worshestire sauce.... :rolleyes:

Sonnet, the Iggles ain't gone nowhere, as they might say in Sow (never South) Philly. And actually, the city itself is, to true natives, never "Fill-ah-dell-fee-ah" but "fluffya"

Does anyone remember a now-defunct newspaper called the Bulletin, but pronounced "Buh-wah-den"?

And Mike, you know you're from Delaware if you say you're going to put the dirty dishes in the "zinc"

OK, OK, enough tomfoolery. If Recife were Brazilian, it would indeed be ha-see-fay, but as it's French, I'm stickin' with "ray-see-fay" or at the very least, "ray-seefe"

But I agree with the others, it's "Viz-conti." I'm pretty sure that's correct...

AS far as some odd town names... Newark, NJ is pronounced "newerk," but Newark, DE is pronounced "new-ark." Mike, you'll back me up on this?

There's a town in upstate PA spelled Saltillo but pronounced "sa-till-ah" Houston St. in NYC is pronounced "How-stun." And God only knows what the correct pronounciation of New Orleans is... I've heard "Or-leans," "Or-linns" and "N'awlins"

Somebody pass the worshestire sauce.... :rolleyes:

This is fantastic!!! I'm beginning to think our Philly accent can't even be spelled phonetically - it's got to be experienced live :roflmho:

Oh yes, I've got a few dishes sitting in the "zinc" wating to go into the "dishwarsher." Somehow, we manage to get that "r" in there...

I'm completely with you as far as the pen names - who knows what made me venture into Brazilian Portuguese with Recife!?!?!

And, considering I work for the University of Delaware, I'm well-acquainted with the crucial difference between "Newerk" NJ and "Newark" DE. Anyone that's not from this area just doesn't get it... :blink:

I've been to NY state quite a few times... Quite frankly, I just don't get it... Ha!! No matter what, I still can't correctly pronounce those town names. I prefer to enjoy the view and apologize for my ignorance after I've butchered it. :P

Happy accent hunting ;) ...

All the best,

Mike

Flow good, ooze bad!

Mike

I've heard of "The Bulletin" but I think it had already closed down before I was born [or shortly thereafter].

Sometimes I write things (as of 2013

http://katesplace7.wordpress.com/

I was embarrassed once because I went into a pen store to buy a Lamy Safari, and I said La-mee, because I just assumed it'd be pronounced that way, and the seller kind of pretended he didn't know what I was talking about for a second, and then with a flourish said, "OH you must mean Lamb-ee!"  I felt like an idiot.  Nice to know that it should be pronounced how I thought...

Don't feel bad. I pronounced it as "Lay-mee". For quite some time, too. Embarrasing when it finally dawned on me... :blush:

I STILL didn't have it right, though. I'm glad I read this thread. Ok, so it's "Lah-mee". As in "I'll have a half-pound of salami," right ;)

The pen seller described by J. John Harvey said "LAMB-ee" (as in the animal) and not LAH-mee. Sorry to be nitpicking here.

I first thought Lamy was LAMB-ee, but then BMWRT corrected me with "La-mee" (first page of this thread) so I've been saying LAH-mee in my head. So glad I can go back to LAMB-ee! I feel more comfortable with that pronunciation :meow: