What Does Your Handwriting Look Like

thebz1

I have been enjoying this handwriting thread for a while now, and decided to add mine. Thank you, everyone. :)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Cankapopa/OmasOgivaVisGT.jpg

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• mehandiratta

• Inky.Fingers

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

post-32175-042217600%201278333546.jpg

My handwriting. I use a broad Italic nib for everyday writing - it produces subtle thick/thin variations and I find the italic nib is capable of being used on most types of paper, unlike a flexible nib.

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab19/yuckkie/Scribblings/DSC03661.jpg

Really like your penpanship and this ink color. Your handwriting is REALLY distinctive, but not adorned with flourishes that would make it difficult to decipher.

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

Hello, late to the game. Here's a couple of my samples. Critiques are welcome. :happyberet:

My usual writing with some calligraphy doodles.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/crewel/WritSample1.jpg?t=1274418167

Excerpt from journal musings as I was experimenting with dip pens. Black is India Ink using a flexible fine. The blue is my Lamy Al-Star with factory blue.

http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/crewel/WritSample2.jpg?t=1274418235

Both of them! Thay are BEAUTIFUL!

trpofapprobal.png

Here is something I was asked to do by a priest in my parish. It is not perfect, but I tried.

It is wonderful, but, I would have put something underneath it (with lines) to keep it more straight. Or, use a ruler. Is this pound-paper?

trpofapprobal.png

I just learned how to use Flickr's gizmo to crop a pic. The rest of this was italic, and I wanted to post cursive with different pens. I'm finding that different colors, both in MS-Word and in handwriting, make text much easier to read.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4768564877_23b9a26c9f.jpg

—Jill

Let there be light. Then let there be a cat, a cocktail, and a good book.

I am sticking with the Palmer method of handwriting. I still remember my fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Higginbothom making us practice, practice, practice. She said, "penmanship matters". My father was a graphic artist, he often asked us to copy our homework over after he checked it, saying, "Now make it neat".

I am an elementary school teacher, there is very little time devoted to teaching either manuscript or cursive writing. Word processing is our best hope for a future generation to produce legible written communication.

What does my penmanship say about me? Too timid to venture far from expectations? Not very creative? I hope not. I stick to the Palmer model because I want to communicate clearly to others when I write. Flouishes and deviation from the standard form can distract from that aim.

No special effort given here, everyday everything I write looks like these samples:

I'm very impressed. Your writing is lovely, and I'm copying your quote right now.

I've always been able to sense my state of mind by the feeling I get while I'm writing. If I have trouble forming words, that's one thing, but if my ADD kicks in and I hiccup jst getting from one letter to the other, that's ... troublesome.

Then when I can write smoothly, I know I'm better. It's calming, even meditative, to write.

—Jill

Let there be light. Then let there be a cat, a cocktail, and a good book.

I have been enjoying this handwriting thread for a while now, and decided to add mine. Thank you, everyone. :)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Cankapopa/OmasOgivaVisGT.jpg

Distinctive, legible and attractive on the page. People must cherish your thank you letters.

Here are a couple of pictures from 2005. (I don't have any newer pictures at the moment). Even after 5 years of trying it still isn't much better. I spent most of my life writing in print and only changed to cursive about 8 years ago.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/3/6204301_67fb4b9b0a_o.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/22/29275978_39307cda23_b.jpg

According to the comments on these pictures I've got nice handwriting but I think it's cramped and short of character, but at least it's legible.

Which is why I completely agree with Rena's sentiments above.

It's a strange phenomenon, isn't it, Stompy? :)

(Plenty of character in yours, by the way!)

Here is something I was asked to do by a priest in my parish. It is not perfect, but I tried.

It is wonderful, but, I would have put something underneath it (with lines) to keep it more straight. Or, use a ruler. Is this pound-paper?

I used a ruler and a pencil to lightly make lines, but they were still a little off. And about the paper, I'm really not sure. I just found a stack of it in a drawer.

One of the few and proud 16 year old FPN users.

My favorite fountain pens in my collection:

Parker 51 (cedar blue, vacumatic, 0.9mm Cursive Italic)

Waterman 52 (Black Chased Hard Rubber, SuperFlex .2mm to 2.0mm)

Conklin Crescent 25 (Black Chased Hard Rubber, Wetnoodle .3mm to 2.5mm)

Diamond P.P. Combo Pen (Orange, Flexible Fine, 1.1mm Graphite)

Pelikan M200 (Black, M400 Condor Nib)

Waterman Carene (Deluxe Blue, Medium)

Omas 360 (Black w/ Rhodium Trim, Medium)

I used a ruler and a pencil to lightly make lines, but they were still a little off. And about the paper, I'm really not sure. I just found a stack of it in a drawer.

Well, it is Beautiful! Even when it is not straight, it is Beautiful. With more practice...just think how good you'd be then!

Edited by The Royal Pen
trpofapprobal.png

OK, here is a sample of my chicken scratch, Unfortunately, by the end of the sentence, my forearm was aching and I was being distracted by my daughter so it goes from bad to even worse. But here you have it... but don't say I didn't warn you...

post-37098-002320700 1279115187.jpg

My thoughts are as scattered as the frozen winds of November swept across the harvested fields of my mind. ~ Justin - damaging things since 1973

OK, here is a sample of my chicken scratch, Unfortunately, by the end of the sentence, my forearm was aching and I was being distracted by my daughter so it goes from bad to even worse. But here you have it... but don't say I didn't warn you...

That's not chicken scratch. I have seen chicken scratch before (well, on the internet), and trust me. You're far from it. It's perfect, and legible.

trpofapprobal.png

post-32175-042217600%201278333546.jpg

My handwriting. I use a broad Italic nib for everyday writing - it produces subtle thick/thin variations and I find the italic nib is capable of being used on most types of paper, unlike a flexible nib.

I think this is beautiful and distinctive handwriting.

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Here's what I've been working at. Still looks a little labored and shakey.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_uyDRqqR3qE4/TD-HW2G4MlI/AAAAAAAAAIo/yTpqD107JVU/s400/Handwriting-monoline.jpg

That's not chicken scratch. I have seen chicken scratch before (well, on the internet), and trust me. You're far from it. It's perfect, and legible.

This is not chicken scratch. My son writes chicken scratch and I am forever trying to decipher what he has scribbled upon the page; your handwriting is quite legible. One easy improvement you could work on, might be the letter "a" when you write the word was, in several places it looks like wes, but in many other words you make a perfect closed letter a, I wonder why the difference when you write w-a-s ? Just a smidge more space between words would help readability. I am a elementary grades school teacher. Can you tell?

I hope I have been kind and my critique is only intended to be helpful. You penmanship is above average, considering all the chicken scratch I have tried to read over the years.

By the way, I love the green ink!

This is not chicken scratch. My son writes chicken scratch and I am forever trying to decipher what he has scribbled upon the page; your handwriting is quite legible. One easy improvement you could work on, might be the letter "a" when you write the word was, in several places it looks like wes, but in many other words you make a perfect closed letter a, I wonder why the difference when you write w-a-s ? Just a smidge more space between words would help readability. I am a elementary grades school teacher. Can you tell?

I hope I have been kind and my critique is only intended to be helpful. You penmanship is above average, considering all the chicken scratch I have tried to read over the years.

By the way, I love the green ink!

I appreciate that the two of you are telling me that me writing isn't that bad. I suppose we are always our worst critics. However, I know my wife has trouble reading my writing but can read our 10 year old's writing easily. Of course, she has recently complained that our daughter writes too much like me. At least my handwriting is better than my father's and my grandmother's. We used to have to sit around the table as a group to try to decipher what grandma wrote.

My teachers always tried to get me to write larger and put more space in... I have certainly heard that before! I was working on trying to re-train myself to use my arm muscles to write instead of finger/wrist. However, my letters were too large for my taste and I recently slipped back into old habits. I noticed the "was"/"wes" thing a few times as I was writing. It is another example of my usual problem of skipping to the next letter before finishing the letter I am on. If I catch myself in time, the "a" gets formed. What is really bad is when I completely skip letters.

I like the green as well; however, I quickly found that in the classroom it smears really easily. So I reserve it for things that don't need permanence such as short-term notes to myself.

Thanks!

My thoughts are as scattered as the frozen winds of November swept across the harvested fields of my mind. ~ Justin - damaging things since 1973

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/3826/p2307101023.jpg

erm... sorry for the *very* low picture quality... I took it using my lousy handphone's camera T_T

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/3826/p2307101023.jpg

erm... sorry for the *very* low picture quality... I took it using my lousy handphone's camera T_T

It is legible, perfect and beautiful! Thank you for sharing! I like writing too! For no exact reason!

Edited by The Royal Pen
trpofapprobal.png