What Does Your Handwriting Look Like

thebz1

I like your writing; It has a very nice personal touch to it and it makes me happy looking at it:D What is the ink called?

Nice of you to say! It's a very ordinary Stypen cartridge in brown and the pen could have been a cheapie Stypen as well. Out of 20 Stypens I buy off eBay every few years, i'll find one that is perfect for me and I throw away the rest. I love browns, greys and muted purples and muted dark green as colours - most of these inks are Noodlers (too lazy to go downstairs to my office to find the exact colour names).

_________

Susi

from Sydney, then Byron Bay, now Gold Coast, Qld, Australia

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• mehandiratta

• Inky.Fingers

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx153/FPWriter/writing_sample.jpg

My everyday cursive supersized... so please pardon the shakiness, as I am not used to writing this large, but I thought it necessary to make it legible. There are 5mm between the lines in the paper, and my normal flex cursive has miniscule a's and c's only 2.5mm to 3mm in height. Absent flex, I regularly post a mere millimetre or so of height for those letters as, well, I detest wasting paper. :P

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7250/6864387866_747d607ee3_c.jpg

Daily Writer in Large by Kyouju-san, on Flickr

More photos, please :clap1: this is lovely!

My life is full of mistakes. They're like pebbles that make a good road.

Beatrice Wood

I'm another new member. Hi!

My parents taught me to print before I entered school, and I honestly cannot remember not being able to read or print. I learned to write cursive in first grade and in third grade, we were given instruction in a basic Italic calligraphy hand. I learned the forms, but alas, was never taught the proper way to hold the pen or move my arm. After some serious problems with tendonitis, I learned that I both type and write incorrectly, using my fingers instead of my wrists and arms! So, I've started trying to unlearn thirty years of bad writing habits.

Here are three samples as a baseline. I find that I get bored with copying out practice lines, but when I was learning to touchtype I practiced with transcribing song lyrics, which worked well. The lines below are from songs by S.J. Tucker, and I'm pretty sure this constitutes fair use under US copyright law for sharing the lyrics since only a tiny fraction of the words are reported below. (I also missed many many lines, so the below paragraphs are not a full verse!)

The top paragraph is with a Brause Steno nib, which feels really flexy to me, in a generic pen holder, with ink that is labeled only as "Encre Violette." The lower paragraph is written with a .3mm drafting pencil. Both sections were written for speed, not form.

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/9924/baseline.jpg

Lady on the road not afraid to let go

Not about to let go this road at least until I know

I will break your hungry heart and leave you alone just because I can

While I take each mile of road as much as I can get

Lady Vagabond has rise and come into her own

You ask me if I'm lonely well I haven't felt it yet

The open road is home

Hai yi yi the open road is home

The open road is home

Hai yi yi yi

I sent my melody lying around and back to chase its tail

My voice will never fail

My life will never fail

A heart that's full can never fail

(From "Lady Vagabond" by S.J. Tucker

And the following sample is a page of trying very hard to maintain good form and write with the big muscles in my arm instead of with my fingers. Same pen and ink as the above. This is my first attempt at writing correctly, although I did write it after two pages of practicing lines and ovals with good form.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9823/practicep.jpg

I learned to roll (and tumble with the punches)

Maybe anyplace outside of Wonderland is not for me.

This story is not for anyone else to tell

The truth comes down in riddles

Nobody believes him to this day

If you find it in your dreams you can find it in your day job

Is it the strips or (the spots you see)

The world is never as mad as it could be

If I leave my grin behind remind me that we're all mad here and it's okay

(From "Cheshire Kitten" by S.J. Tucker)

I'd appreciate any critique or advice you can offer. I know I have difficulty maintaining a consistent slant, and I'm really not happy with my "T"s, either lower or upper case.

Edited by benazeer

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/georges2/sheaffercrestoversizevacfillpenmanship.jpg

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I found some old college notebooks while attempting to organize and discovered that my handwriting is a bit Jekyll & Hyde :P I think I owe an apology to the professors who had the misfortune of having to grade my exams!

This is what my notes looked like:

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o511/jarofsole/PrintCollege2-1.jpg

And this is what my poor professors had to read on my exams:

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o511/jarofsole/PrintCollegeBluebook3-1.jpg

I've once again decided to improve my handwriting, and I want to start a thread for it, I'm new here, so tell me, is penmanship the right board?

I've once again decided to improve my handwriting, and I want to start a thread for it, I'm new here, so tell me, is penmanship the right board?

Welcome and yes it is.

I'm new to FPN, but not fountain pens. I've been using various fountain pens since I started writing love letters to my then fiancé (now wife) in 2006 with a Levenger True Writer broad nib (I now own 7 fountain pens of various manufacture). I really enjoyed going through this thread - there is some truly remarkable penmanship here. Through the thread, I didn't catch any books/training guides on better handwriting. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much and happy writing!

Cheers,

Ryan

I'm new to FPN, but not fountain pens. I've been using various fountain pens since I started writing love letters to my then fiancé (now wife) in 2006 with a Levenger True Writer broad nib (I now own 7 fountain pens of various manufacture). I really enjoyed going through this thread - there is some truly remarkable penmanship here. Through the thread, I didn't catch any books/training guides on better handwriting. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,

Ryan

I think the first 2 pinned posts in the Penmanship forum list recommended books/websites on improving handwriting. I was also surprised and happy to find books on calligraphy and handwriting at my local library.

Here's mine, go ahead, be harsh, I can take it :)

Just in my defence, I was working at my desk, which is covered in stuff, so it was hard to get the right angle, also, I'm left-handed (Not an excuse, just trying to explain if there's a funny slant.post-84824-0-14330100-1333379156.jpg

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx153/FPWriter/writing_sample.jpg

This is much lovelier than I would have expected with a story like that. My grandfather was in a similar boat, he was supposed to have been left handed and his handwriting was never legible.

<snip>

This is much lovelier than I would have expected with a story like that. My grandfather was in a similar boat, he was supposed to have been left handed and his handwriting was never legible.

That is very nice of you to say so, but you can see why I have my name. I am likely in the same age range as your grandfather. In those days we learned to write with a steel nib on a stick, and there was a belief that left handers (sinister) people were in some way evil. Some teachers were highly motivated to beat that devil out of us, so they did things like tie the left hand to my belt and beat me when I accepted a pen with my left hand. They also later mocked me for having poor hand writing. I have always been motivated to try and make my writing legible and I still flinch when I try to pick up a pen with my left hand, so I never did go back to being fully left handed, even after leaving school. My daughter is left handed too, but was left to develop as such, and now has beautiful hand writing.

I like this thread soooo much. I like to see all this great looking handwriting samples. So inspiring !

Here is my handwriting:

post-82398-0-67082000-1333531112.jpg

On a standard composition notebook and it's cheap paper. Using a Pilot VP with a "Binderized" nib with Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu-Gaki Ink. post-80562-0-56532900-1333564401.jpg post-80562-0-75833300-1333564420.jpg

Cheers,

Ryan

I think the first 2 pinned posts in the Penmanship forum list recommended books/websites on improving handwriting. I was also surprised and happy to find books on calligraphy and handwriting at my local library.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-YOGGKDFJ-1.jpg

Well, it's been requested in my introduction thread, so here's are sample of my handwriting. Over the past few weeks, I've tried to rebuild my cursive hand - So far, I like it enough to be pushing it into daily service.

I must say, I've done better some days, but I do much worse on others (most). This example is pretty representative of my average current cursive... You'll also notice that I write small - I have a few wet medium nibs and whenever I use those you'll see my loops close up. It's tough enough keeping them open as it is :rolleyes: That's why fine and extra fine nibs are my favorite daily users.

The pic is clickable for enlargement!

Derk

"The scientific name of an animal that does not either fight or flee from it's enemies is 'Lunch'"

Here are two scans of my handwriting. The first one is my "good handwriting" from my handwriting practice book.

post-85008-0-65006200-1334523790.jpg

Like many posters, I went more than twenty years without using cursive for anything other than to sign a check or contract, so I had to reteach myself cursive from the ground up. I think that I've made a lot of improvement during these past couple of months, but seeing the samples on this board encourages me to keep working. This picture is of my "regular handwriting" that appears in everyday use.

post-85008-0-82552800-1334524024.jpg.

What you see is a page of my Latin vocabulary study, where I'm not paying as much attention to the formation of each and every letter. It's not as good as the writing in the first picture, but it's much better than my print letters, which I have given up as a lost cause.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

Now bridle your horse, cavalry maiden. Soon a furious battle will blaze. Brünnhilde must charge into battle, she must see the Volsung wins. Let Hunding decide where he belongs. I do not require him in Valhalla. So make ready and quickly ride into battle. - Wotan, Act II, Scene 1, Die Walkure