What Does Your Handwriting Look Like

thebz1

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2428/imag0135e.jpg

I used to write in very sloppy all caps, now im copying the hobbit down in modern manuscript to improve my regular penmanship. M nib w/ cross black cartridge, left handed.

Can anyone identify this pen? I have one that my dad gave me years ago, but all I know is that it is a Cross.

Cool writing by the way. My version of this pen is broad-tipped to the point I don't think I could write that compact-ly. Probably not a real word.

Thanks

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• mehandiratta

• Inky.Fingers

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2700/4337662504_514a00b851_o.png

Hello everyone. Does anyone happen to know the make/model of the pen above?

Thanks in advance.

Paperskater: excellent choice of sample text! I love Mumford & Sons too -- hope they win a Grammy tonight!

It says Kaweco Sport on the cap, but it is way different that the Kaweco Sports that I have. Plus the writing looks like it was done with an italic nib. The writing is really great too.

Can anyone get more specific with the identification of this pen?

... It says Kaweco Sport on the cap, but it is way different that the Kaweco Sports that I have ... Can anyone get more specific with the identification of this pen?

I'm pretty sure that's a vintage Kaweco Sport, probably with a 14k nib. Note the piston turning nob, and the ink window. This is the pen that made Kaweco famous, and I would guess this is one of the later models due to the hooded nib, but its hard to tell more from the photo. If you can find a vintage Kaweco Sport for a decent price you would be having a "good day". :thumbup:

Edited by dcpritch

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Very nicely done! :thumbup: Easy to read, smooth and consistent. And done with a 78G F nib, which I have but can't get that thick a line with; mine looks like a baby's hair curled on the page.

Thanks! :)

I carved out the feed channel a bit with a razor the other night to make it wetter, and I think the pen also lays down a lightly broader line now. It's still really fine though the way I like it :)

Edited by Ink Sandwich

The Story of My Handwriting, by ninly:

For years, I wrote only in print. After 6th grade, I gave up cursive quite happily, and didn't really look back. Over the years I developed a printed hand that looks more or less like this:

http://baby.ninly.net/pen/print1.jpg

That's written quite small; there is a slightly "flowier" form that comes out when I give myself more space, but I do tend to write on the small side.

http://baby.ninly.net/pen/print2.jpg

A month or two ago, for a confluence of reasons, I got a hankering to relearn cursive. Until that point, if I you'd asked me to write even a few words in cursive, it was a very awkward experience for me, and the output was probably full of mistakes. But I powered it out for a couple days, then made a commitment to write only in cursive for several weeks while trying out pens and figuring out what to do. Today, this is pretty much where I am with my normal, day-to-day cursive:

http://baby.ninly.net/pen/cursive1.jpg

There is still a goodly amount of variation from one day, pen, or paper to another. (That's a purple Sharpie Pen brand felt-tip, btw, and I think that was a black Uniball above, along with ... some other kind of marking implement. Both ink samples writ in a 5x5 quad-ruled National Brand lab notebook.)

Along with the daily commitment, I also decided to practice a Spencerian business hand a bit (following Mills, mostly) to retrain my body. That is coming along, though I now seem to be hitting the first steep-ish part of my learning curve. I'll probably post more about this in the appropriate thread, but here's a peek (black Pilot Varsity on Bienfang Calligraphic Parchment, bonus if you can name that novel):

http://baby.ninly.net/pen/spencer1.jpg

Having said all that, down the road a bit I'd really like to aim for something like what born t posted on the first page of this thread. Beautiful hand!, though I'd probably work toward something with slightly less or subtler flourish.

As for all the ho-hum and non-fountain pens and (ahem) graphite in this post... I expect my Lamy Vista in the mail tomorrow!

This example is borderline Italic, tipping over into Sloped Roman. The lettering is a bit square and the slope is excessive, so it's a bit of a mongerel. Having said all that, I'm quite pleased with it overall, hence it's appearance here.

caliken

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/TheWaterofLife600.jpg

Edited by caliken

This example is borderline Italic, tipping over into Sloped Roman. The lettering is a bit square and the slope is excessive, so it's a bit of a mongerel. Having said all that, I'm quite pleased with it overall, hence it's appearance here.

caliken

Wow that is just beautiful.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2428/imag0135e.jpg

I used to write in very sloppy all caps, now im copying the hobbit down in modern manuscript to improve my regular penmanship. M nib w/ cross black cartridge, left handed.

Can anyone identify this pen? I have one that my dad gave me years ago, but all I know is that it is a Cross.

Cool writing by the way. My version of this pen is broad-tipped to the point I don't think I could write that compact-ly. Probably not a real word.

Thanks

If anyone was interested, I have since discovered through my own research that this pen is a Cross Townsend Medalist. It is a very smooth writer. My nib says medium, but I'm more accustomed to Japanese nibs and it feels like a broad to me.

Both of your cursive examples look very good. If you've made that much progress in just a month or two, you are doing well indeed. They are both legible, nicely spaced, and looking pretty even. Good job!! :thumbup:

caliken

Ken, glad to see you here again, showing us how the talented do handwriting. Thanks, you're an inspiration.

Thanks so much, CatBookMom! It has taken quite a bit of slowing down to get there, but "finding" the letterforms wasn't nearly as difficult as I expected. My biggest challenge now is staying relaxed, as I'm prone to shoulder/back pain if I'm not careful.

Is there a name or descriptive term for the kind of hand in the post I mentioned, from born t? Here's a permalink to the post.

Thanks so much, CatBookMom! It has taken quite a bit of slowing down to get there, but "finding" the letterforms wasn't nearly as difficult as I expected. My biggest challenge now is staying relaxed, as I'm prone to shoulder/back pain if I'm not careful.

Is there a name or descriptive term for the kind of hand in the post I mentioned, from born t? Here's a permalink to the post.

I'm a newbie myself, so I'm not certain of the ID. Copperplate maybe? Caliken will know. It's certainly interesting, but very hard to read those examples. Suggestion: Keep your second style much as it is, nicely legible. :D

Yes, slowing down is one of the keys to a better handwriting. I've been working on cursive italic, though right now I'm just having fun with it, after several months of practice; I'm a slow learner. I've posted some examples in another thread; link to the latest

Edited by CatBookMom

This is from a thread on the W___chUSeek forum that just never took off; so I've migrated it here. After seeing some of the astounding examples of all of your penmanship, I will slow down and take my time, try to be neater. So many of you are just awesome!

post-72583-0-15770100-1309025951.jpg

caliken

Very attractive. It looks a bit unfamiliar, yet natural at the same time. Beautiful work :)

Just ordered your book on copperplate by the way. Would love to see you do a book on edged pens.

Just ordered your book on copperplate by the way. Would love to see you do a book on edged pens.

Much appreciated, Bronze and I hope that you like the Copperplate book.

With regard to your comment on 'edged pens' ; at the moment, I'm working on a handbook of 'Italic Variations' as a basis for personal handwriting. I'm making good progress and it should be finished in a month or so.

caliken

post-72359-0-56308700-1309444456.jpg

Lamy Safari, Medium nib, Parker Quink blue.

I wear my Pen as others do their Sword.

John Oldham

With regard to your comment on 'edged pens' ; at the moment, I'm working on a handbook of 'Italic Variations' as a basis for personal handwriting. I'm making good progress and it should be finished in a month or so.

caliken

Looking forward to this! You'll let all of us know?

Doug

Looking forward to this! You'll let all of us know?

Doug

This is a very difficult area, Doug, as I'm not allowed to mention any commercial venture, other than to answer a question if asked. For example, the query about the possibility of a book on 'edged pens' allowed me to make a brief reply - but no more than that.

When the book is ready, all I can do is add an image in my signature (without comment), and refer anyone interested, to my website.

There is no logical place in 'classified' to post this information as the content is all about pens and related materials.

If this post infringes the rules, I expect that it will be removed!

Thanks for your interest.

Ken

Edited by caliken

Much appreciated, Bronze and I hope that you like the Copperplate book.

caliken

:clap1: :clap1: