What Does Your Handwriting Look Like

thebz1

Thanks, Bronze, for the ideas. I'd like to work on my writing and make half as much progress as you have - your sample is very consistent, easy to read, and great to look at. Not long and you'll be giving caliken a run for his money! :)

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• mehandiratta

• Inky.Fingers

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

- Thank you for the nice words! Haha, Caliken is in a league of his own though. quite impressive all the different scripts he has mastered. I'm absolutely clueless with a flexible nib. I'm still in my twenties though, so hopefully by the time I'm a retired old man with plenty of free time my italic will look pretty good :)

I like your handwriting, it's distinctive, legible and has a personal touch to it.

The problem is that when you're trying to improve your handwriting all you see are the mistakes and the inconsistencies. At least that's how it is for me.

Here are some samples of my handwriting with different styles, inks and pens. I mostly use one of the first two styles, but I currently have four different inks here so you get two more. :)

post-70107-0-57453000-1303587620.jpg

Edited by Limit

Alright, where do I find these stub nib things? I must have one.

...well. I probably have one in a super old calligraphy set I got when I was 8 or 9 from Hobby Lobby, but I want one for my Safari. Do I need to get one ground down? >.> /clueless

Emoo the Sad Cow

Looking for a Hero 850. Because they're cool. Let me know if you have one you want to sell.

... where do I find these stub nib things I must have one ...

Shameless plug here, but on point. The FPN sale board has loads of pens for sale, many with stub nibs. I put up three pens for sale this afternoon, something I rarely do, and two have stub nibs: one a factory BB stub on a pilot 78G and the other a custom ground stub by Pendleton Brown, on a German made Rotring 900. Lots more there to choose from, of course, but I know first hand about those two. :)

— Samuel Johnson

I want one for my Safari. Do I need to get one ground down? >.> /clueless

You can get stub nibs for your Safari from a number of places. Here's a link to Goulet Pens page where they're called calligraphy nibs and in sizes 1.1mm, 1.5mm, and 1.9mm. These are too big for my writing (x height of around 2mm) so I buy F nibs and grind them myself. I think Pendemonium has someone who will grind it fairly cheap (like $15 - $25 plus cost of nib) but I'm not sure.

And finally, the finer and sharper the nib, the more difficult it is to write with. Just saying.

Doug

Edited by HDoug

Taking my time writing in block letters:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w204/moneyless27/FP%20Writing%20%20Samples/parkervector-bluequink-machineofdeathintro1.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w204/moneyless27/FP%20Writing%20%20Samples/parkervector-bluequink-machineofdeathintro2.jpg

That's not really an accurate representation of how I write day-to-day though, usually I write in a sort of hybrid "cursive block print" style. Any pointers on giving it some more flair or something? After looking at everyone else's handwriting throughout this thread, mine just seems really boring. :P I used to write cursive in elementary (since that's how we were taught to write) but since then I've basically forgotten how. I'd like to re-learn though. :)

Edited by RookSeven
http://i.imgur.com/05HpL.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/ifi8V.png

After looking at everyone else's handwriting throughout this thread, mine just seems really boring. :P I used to write cursive in elementary (since that's how we were taught to write) but since then I've basically forgotten how. I'd like to re-learn though. :)

You've come to the right place. :thumbup: If you spend some time searching through the vast amount of information on this forum, you're sure to find what you're looking for.

Good luck!

Ken

I want one for my Safari. Do I need to get one ground down? >.> /clueless

You can get stub nibs for your Safari from a number of places. Here's a link to Goulet Pens page where they're called calligraphy nibs and in sizes 1.1mm, 1.5mm, and 1.9mm. These are too big for my writing (x height of around 2mm) so I buy F nibs and grind them myself. I think Pendemonium has someone who will grind it fairly cheap (like $15 - $25 plus cost of nib) but I'm not sure.

And finally, the finer and sharper the nib, the more difficult it is to write with. Just saying.

Doug

I absolutely love how helpful everyone here is. Absolutely love it. Thanks for the link; I really just want to test it out to see how I like them these days (when I was younger I had only tried calligraphy nibs but I loved them so much). Also it always makes your handwriting look a little more interesting. :D

Muchas gracias. N stuff. :)

Emoo the Sad Cow

Looking for a Hero 850. Because they're cool. Let me know if you have one you want to sell.

... quirky, easy to read, individual style ... Your writing is YOUR writing...

Lexie, is it faster for you to write in block style or cursive? Just wondering, both are very legible. For me, I've gotten used to more of a hybrid between printing and cursive, and find I have to slow down and concentrate to do either exclusively.

DAVID

I actually can print at about the same speed as I can write in cursive. It took quite a bit of practice, college note taking helped a lot. I have recently started a penmanship journal to practice my cursive. Hopefully that will help it become more consistent.

Finally, a place where being obsessed with pens and paper is the norm...

Here is a quick sample of my handwriting, using most of the pens I have inked today. I find that the bigger nibs enhance my writing, while the smaller (in this case, the Aurora Hastil M nib) reveal the deficiencies. Maybe that's why I gravitate toward wide nibs!

Suggestions?

fpn_1303418839__img_0796.jpg

I really enjoy your handwriting! I wish that I could write well with a wide nib, unfortunately they just make my writing look messier. Whenever I am not using a fp, I write with a tip no larger than a .38. Whenever I use a wide nib, my writing reverts back to elementary style, maybe I will get one just to practice with and see how it goes.

Finally, a place where being obsessed with pens and paper is the norm...

After using everything from "fine" to BB, I have decided that my best hand is with a 0.9 cursive italic, which is fairly forgiving of my writing faults. That said, I'm practicing a lot with medium and fine nibs because they demonstrate my faults. But practicing is a big motivator. Looking better in print makes me more likely to write to friends instead of emailing them.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

... I'm practicing a lot with medium and fine nibs because they demonstrate my faults ...

You are a braver man than I. I just abhor my writing with fine nibs, and even medium nibs, because smaller nibs so readily reveal my faults. On the other hand, the larger stubs and CI nibs provide line variation that gives some interest (I think) and helps me see less of my obvious faults and inexperience.

I really appreciate the excellent comments and suggestions here, and especially the unexpected appearance of caliken in this thread, to whose writing many FPNers aspire. Thank you, Ken, for participating here: it is great motivation for improvement. Maybe, Jeffery, with your suggestion, I will be brave enough to practice with small nibs and force myself to look at the results.

RookSeven, you have amazingly clear printing - it SO easy to read, and easy on the eyes. Good job!

— Samuel Johnson

I used to have good penmanship, but it has gone dormant while I've spent the last 15 years working long hours in front of a computer. I'm making an effort to regain it, and my initial focus is on slowing myself down. Not easy! Even while practicing today, I found myself rushing to put down letters. It'll come though. I have ten lined bagasse notebooks that I'm eager to fill.

The attached scan is a pretty good sample of what I'm starting from. My h's, k's, and w's need some work. Slowing down helps if I can manage it. :)

post-69952-0-05350100-1303855230.jpg

The problem is that when you're trying to improve your handwriting all you see are the mistakes and the inconsistencies. At least that's how it is for me.

That's absolutely right!

The more you practice, the more perceptive you become and the more dissatisfied with your own work. This is perfectly natural and is a temporary, transitional stage. This will pass, and you will derive far more pleasure from your own writing and from the work of others, with your heightened awareness.

"Never believe your own publicity"

I can't remember who first said that, but it's great advice. As your writing improves, friends and relatives will shower you with praise. If you are still in the learning process, the minute you believe them is the point at which your development ceases. Be your own strictest critic. In spite of what other people say, you know when it's not quite right.

The heightened awareness with practice is certainly true. Some of the calligraphy which I thought was wonderful when I was starting out, I can now see as seriously flawed!

Bronze, please don't take all of the above personally. You have made great progress and these comments are just general observations. Your italic example earlier in this thread, is quite beautiful - very even and controlled.

Ken

Edited by caliken

... I'm practicing a lot with medium and fine nibs because they demonstrate my faults ...

You are a braver man than I. I just abhor my writing with fine nibs, and even medium nibs, because smaller nibs so readily reveal my faults. On the other hand, the larger stubs and CI nibs provide line variation that gives some interest (I think) and helps me see less of my obvious faults and inexperience.

I really appreciate the excellent comments and suggestions here, and especially the unexpected appearance of caliken in this thread, to whose writing many FPNers aspire. Thank you, Ken, for participating here: it is great motivation for improvement. Maybe, Jeffery, with your suggestion, I will be brave enough to practice with small nibs and force myself to look at the results.

RookSeven, you have amazingly clear printing - it SO easy to read, and easy on the eyes. Good job!

you have great handwriting as it is, dcpritch! :)

... you have great handwriting as it is, dcpritch.

Thank you, jniforat, I appreciate that, but I am going to follow Caliken's above advice: "Never believe your own publicity," in part because I feel very undeserving, especially in light of some great handwriting in the posts above, but also because I do hope to make some improvements. Like fourseamer mentioned, I tend to rush through and write too quickly, and I need to learn some new strokes. I really appreciate the helpful comments and suggestions on this thread and will continue to follow it and maybe, maybe, I will gain enough improvement to show a before and after example. DAVID

— Samuel Johnson

Be your own strictest critic. In spite of what other opeople say, you know when it's not quite right.

Ken

Thank you for chiming in Ken, and I certainly recognize what you write about being your own strictest critic. For better or worse that tends to be my natural state of mind.

It seems my eye for italic develops faster than my hand! Which is what drives this (for now at least) continuing dissatisfaction with my writing. Once my ability reaches a certain level the eye is already on the next...

As you say it's quite interesting the way some writing I admired only a year back or so now looks less than perfect and often blatantly sloppy.

As a musician for several years this whole process of working on my handwriting reminds me quite a bit of learning to play an instrument. It takes a long time to get to a certain level, and to appreciate that you have come a long way, yet at the same time you are always looking to improve, work on your weaknesses etc. This experience also gives you a certain discipline, and the belief that you can get there one day, although it may be a slow and gradual process. Having said that, this handwriting business is merely an enjoyable pastime for me.

Thank you for your words of encouragement, and especially for your inspiring work!

I worked at a professional level as a pianist for most of my life - mainly playing jazz piano, and it was in that context, whilst learning, that I first came across the advice "never believe your own publicity"

On some occasions when it had gone particularly well and I was over-complimented on my playing, I made a habit of going home and playing a track by Art Tatum. That certainly brought me down to earth!!

Ken