What Does Your Handwriting Look Like

thebz1

Broke the nib on my pen, reground it with rotary grinder. Kind of like the results.

post-57864-0-39173300-1302465917.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• mehandiratta

• Inky.Fingers

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

Currently I am trying to improve my cursive into my daily hand. Currently I'll flip between this and a scrawling manuscript. I'm also considering changing over to a left underhand monoline or Spencerian for any slow careful writing. I'm currently a lefty over-writer. Paper is Rhodia No. 18 and Lamy safari EF with Lamy Blue Ink. I hope the photos show as this is my first ever attempt.

Cheers.

Scott

post-34169-0-96832500-1303277554.jpg

post-34169-0-63462800-1303277575.jpg

Edited by SBicknell

Lamy Safari Extra Fine with Lamy Blue Ink

Currently I am trying to improve my cursive into my daily hand. Currently I'll flip between this and a scrawling manuscript. I'm also considering changing over to a left underhand monoline or Spencerian for any slow careful writing. I'm currently a lefty over-writer. Paper is Rhodia No. 18 and Lamy safari EF with Lamy Blue Ink. I hope the photos show as this is my first ever attempt.

Cheers.

Scott

Your handwriting is very legible and quite consistent. I remember all the hassles grade school teachers gave the lefties in class, so unfair. If you look at the topics pinned at the beginning of this forum, you will find a lot of helpful sites if you wish to polish your handwriting. As I understand it, learning Spencerian will be a slow process, but it produces beautiful writing.

Broke the nib on my pen, reground it with rotary grinder. Kind of like the results.

That's a very nice result! And especially when you restored a broken nib. :thumbup:

Cheers.

Scott

Your handwriting is very legible and quite consistent. I remember all the hassles grade school teachers gave the lefties in class, so unfair. If you look at the topics pinned at the beginning of this forum, you will find a lot of helpful sites if you wish to polish your handwriting. As I understand it, learning Spencerian will be a slow process, but it produces beautiful writing.

Thank you. I realise how much work is involved with Spencerian. I will likely be a long project, but fun.

Lamy Safari Extra Fine with Lamy Blue Ink

My icky cursive and my so-so print.

post-53664-0-70190100-1303389420.jpg

Finally, a place where being obsessed with pens and paper is the norm...

Lexie, There is nothing wrong with your cursive writing....

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac65/officer_dread/SnailBadge.png

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac65/officer_dread/knight11.jpg

Poor Knights of Christ

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k541/surrealdeal4/pix-1.jpg

Hey Omicron - that reminds me of my late evening after-dinner, cigars and port(s) hand :thumbup: Are you able to read it the next day? I never can...

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.

John Muir

All I can say is "wow" ! After seeing these samples, I have much to practice. I spent the past 34 years in law enforcement and everything, and I mean everything, had to be printed in all upper case using black ink. I have literally forgotten how many letters connect in cursive.

I welcome the challenge. Let the games begin.

Hey Omicron - that reminds me of my late evening after-dinner, cigars and port(s) hand :thumbup: Are you able to read it the next day? I never can...

I can read about 75% of it easily, the rest of it by context. Maybe a few words per page undecipherable.

>Tennis elbow, Carpal Tunnel, Arthritic knuckles, neuropathy, and lack of fine motor coordination secondary to diabetic motor cortex inflammation.

[ I only contribute to these threads for the sake of increasing the sample population size. /shrugs ]

I can read about 75% of it easily, the rest of it by context. Maybe a few words per page undecipherable.

>Tennis elbow, Carpal Tunnel, Arthritic knuckles, neuropathy, and lack of fine motor coordination secondary to diabetic motor cortex inflammation.

[ I only contribute to these threads for the sake of increasing the sample population size. /shrugs ]

Dang omicron, That hurts just thinking of it..... :crybaby:

Edited by waterman1924

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac65/officer_dread/SnailBadge.png

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac65/officer_dread/knight11.jpg

Poor Knights of Christ

Lexie - I love the block printing! A very personal style.

Be kind to strangers as you may be entertaining angels unawares.

Forgiveness is the scent of the violet on the heel that crushed it.

fpn_1303938288__hp_inkdrop.jpg

Here is a quick sample of my handwriting, using most of the pens I have inked today. I find that the bigger nibs enhance my writing, while the smaller (in this case, the Aurora Hastil M nib) reveal the deficiencies. Maybe that's why I gravitate toward wide nibs!

Suggestions?

fpn_1303418839__img_0796.jpg

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

dcpritch - quirky, easy to read, individual style - don't think you need any suggestions! Your writing is YOUR writing... :thumbup:

Edited by Wickwack

Be kind to strangers as you may be entertaining angels unawares.

Forgiveness is the scent of the violet on the heel that crushed it.

fpn_1303938288__hp_inkdrop.jpg

Lexie - I love the block printing! A very personal style.

Thank you, Wickwack. As it says, my dad and his dad both printed in the same way. It makes me feel close to my grandfather again.

Finally, a place where being obsessed with pens and paper is the norm...

... quirky, easy to read, individual style ... Your writing is YOUR writing...

Thank you, Wickwack. Quirky is a new adjective for me, but I'll wear it proudly! :happyberet:

Lexie, is it faster for you to write in block style or cursive? Just wondering, both are very legible. For me, I've gotten used to more of a hybrid between printing and cursive, and find I have to slow down and concentrate to do either exclusively.

And Omicron - WOW, how can you write at all?! Must be some serious determination there, or maybe a nice pen collection calling out to be used, possibly a glass of fine port somewhere nearby on the desk.

DAVID

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Typing can't be much fun with all that going on. Are you interested in pens as a collector or do you find it easier to write than to type? Writing with a pen chosen for ergonomics could be therapeutic I imagine. I would guess that a really thin Montblanc, for instance, would be anathema to comfort.

regards

Stephen

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.

John Muir

Here's my handwriting after a few months of sporadic practice.

It used to look quite atrocious and was rather illegible.

Still countless improvements to be made.

Please excuse the wrinkled paper and smeared ink!

I'll post again when I have achieved some more control and consistency.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm118/DrBronze/DSC_0636.jpg

This is quite beautiful! I'm also practicing italic handwriting but my connectors between two words are rather ugly. My lines aren't straight enough. May I ask what book you are using to learn this? I'm using "Write Now" by Getty and Dubay.

Here's my handwriting after a few months of sporadic practice.

It used to look quite atrocious and was rather illegible.

Still countless improvements to be made.

Please excuse the wrinkled paper and smeared ink!

I'll post again when I have achieved some more control and consistency.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm118/DrBronze/DSC_0636.jpg

This is quite beautiful! I'm also practicing italic handwriting but my connectors between two words are rather ugly. My lines aren't straight enough. May I ask what book you are using to learn this? I'm using "Write Now" by Getty and Dubay.

Thanks! Still many things to improve though, but it does look better than before.

I have a copy of "Write Now" as well. I also have a copy of "A Handwriting Manual" by Alfred Fairbank (which has many interesting examples of different italic hands). And I have been looking at Caliken's work quite a bit. He is a member here, and has several videos on youtube etc, plus a dvd. (www.caliken.co.uk) All in all I would say that I am influenced by many different sources, and that I try to adapt the letterforms I find the most appealing, not really sticking to any one method. Italic lettering is everywhere and just strolling around town or reading books, magazines etc. you often see interesting lettering.

One thing that really helped me was to focus on the individual letterforms themselves, and not to worry about the connectors until the letterforms started to look fairly consistent. If you are using an italic pen (edged pen) it helps to keep the pen at a 45 degree angle to the writing line, which means your connectors will be the thinnest stroke possible, and it also helps the actual physical movement of the pen imo.

Keep in mind, that I am no authority on this subject. I just like to fiddle with it, and really enjoy the slow, gradual process of it :)