What Does Your Handwriting Look Like

thebz1

Nothing special at all

I think it is a bit special that anyone tries to improve, and does something requiring a bit of effort; an effort that will bring the reward of a skill learned. Keep at it! beak.

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• mehandiratta

• Inky.Fingers

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

Here is a rather poor shot of my handwriting on cheap graph paper.

Ooh! That's a lot of feathering!

Its really cheap paper.

I think it is a bit special that anyone tries to improve, and does something requiring a bit of effort; an effort that will bring the reward of a skill learned. Keep at it! beak.

Aww, thanks :). That's the plan for this winter break I have ahead of me!

That Spencerian doesn't look poor at all! It seems to my inexperienced self that if you could manage a slightly more steady hand, you'd have a real winner, there :).

You are too kind! Thank you!

And yes, I do have a lot of problems with keeping my hand steady -- if anyone has any suggestions, they'd be much appreciated. I just find myself suddenly jerking around for no clear reason.

Try speeding up a bit on the downward movements.

To protect your best pen/nib try first with an older nib with cheap ink and cheap paper.

I'm not an expert, just guessing...

Let me know if this helps or not. I'll be curious to hear how it goes.

I feel a lot more like I did before than I do now.

That really is beautiful, rodolfolascano.

For today's sample:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/560483/IMG_20101217_002437-1.jpg

And some of today's practice:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/560483/IMG_20101217_004910.jpg

I can feel that the practice is helping :).

I finally got my first Flexible nib Fountain Pen... and this is a sample of my handwriting using it:

You finally got your first flexible nib. Wow, and writing that beautifully so soon — you were born for flex! I do not deny feeling some envy here. :rolleyes: I'm also feeling envy at Benkalziqi's obvious improvement over a short period of time... not a good day for my self-esteem in terms of penmanship...

Time for a little practice session here, and as a reminder, I've had to pull the little sign I have pinned at my writing desk and re-read it just now: do not compare your work or progress to others. :::deep breath::: Seriously. Beautiful work, both of you.

I love the variety, individuality, and quality of the handwriting in this thread!

Here's a photo I took for the "What pen are you using today" thread that shows my actual journal handwriting without divulging anything personal. I had just polished my prettiest pen, a Pelikan M620 Grand Place and it was so slick I dropped it and it dropped a blobs of ink on my journal.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5163/5270005922_30b4ee2a85_z.jpg

Doug

I love the variety, individuality, and quality of the handwriting in this thread!

Here's a photo I took for the "What pen are you using today" thread that shows my actual journal handwriting without divulging anything personal. I had just polished my prettiest pen, a Pelikan M620 Grand Place and it was so slick I dropped it and it dropped a blobs of ink on my journal.

Doug

A great hand - and I'd love to know: did you struggle over this for years to achieve that level of regularity and neatness, or was it 'natural'? I ask because I should like to emulate that degree of clarity, if not the exact style, and I seem to be approaching it somewhat slowly. Also. were you taught this script, attain it for yourself, or did it fall from the sky withought determined effort. Certainly, a most enjoyable thread.

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

A great hand - and I'd love to know: did you struggle over this for years to achieve that level of regularity and neatness, or was it 'natural'? I ask because I should like to emulate that degree of clarity, if not the exact style, and I seem to be approaching it somewhat slowly. Also. were you taught this script, attain it for yourself, or did it fall from the sky withought determined effort. Certainly, a most enjoyable thread.

Thanks for your compliments! To answer your question: A little over 5 years ago during the company's annual "office clean up day" I noticed that my carefully saved notebooks were worthless because I couldn't read my notes. I really couldn't read my notes 5 minutes after I had made them so they didn't even work as a mnemonic device. (My handwriting was already an italic which shows that italic itself is not some kind of magic bullet.) At around the same time I won a MontBlanc fountain pen for an incredibly cheap price at a silent auction at a nonprofit organization's fundraiser.

Taking these two events collectively as a sign from the cosmos (I guess that should be, Sign from The Cosmos), I started a campaign to improve my handwriting. My goals were to emulate the traits I had seen in some sailing captain's logs: small, legible writing. I also wanted to be able to write straight lines without printed lines. I don't know why that was a goal. I guess because I thought it was difficult but do-able.

I started keeping a daily journal and I found FPN around that time too -- I just made five years a few days ago. Writing in my journal, notepad, and letters/postcards is my practice. I was a musician earlier in my life and my that left me with the concept maintaining and developing something by daily practice. I think musicians (and former musicians) tend to have to have some form of daily practice whether it's music or something else. I suppose there are other disciplines that inculcate that sort of routine, but it would be an interesting statistic to see.

Anyway, I enjoy practice and I continually work at improvement. I do feel some satisfaction that I can now read my notes and that people can actually read the letters I send!

Doug

Sometimes I feel I have enough trouble just remembering my name let alone something interesting to write about, especially when practicing.

John

Thursday I looked at a credit card receipt I'd just signed. Somehow I'd signed my last name first and couldn't even figure out what the second word was! Oh well, it was accepted anyway.

I've fallen down the Estie well....

Thanks for the history lesson Mstone: isn't "civilised" society fascinating? UK has some very esoteric laws too, many of which seem to involve sheep, but I guess that's a whole new thread.

Pen fanatic: Hmmmm so there are THREE Corgi owners on the forum: and I thought they were a dying breed.

Gobblecup: I am very jealous of your capital I & T, not to mention your ink collection

Make that 3 and a half... I don't have a corgi, but my parents do, (so i guess that makes her my four-legged sister?), and I wouldn't be into pens if it weren't for them.

Living in a small condo in the city I can't have a dog, but I CAN have a devon rex! Try to stop me now!

I feel a lot more like I did before than I do now.

What ink were you using in your handwriting photo? It appears to be a lovely red brown.

It's a strange red/purple/brown -- Noodler's Nakahama Manjiro Whaleman's Sepia, the first batch. After the first batch, it was formulated to be less red/purple. I don't like the current formula so I'll have to enjoy this bottle while it lasts.

Doug

Here's a few samples of my handwriting using different pens/nib widths, but not my daily scribbling I do taking meeting notes, etc....but from my fountain pen journal....

Please feel free to give me any feedback, even negative comments.....

Thanks!

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/Handwriting-1-12-20-10.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/Handwriting-2-12-20-10.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/Handwriting-3-12-20-10.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr100/ArchiMark/Handwriting-4-12-20-10.jpg

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

It's a strange red/purple/brown -- Noodler's Nakahama Manjiro Whaleman's Sepia, the first batch. After the first batch, it was formulated to be less red/purple. I don't like the current formula so I'll have to enjoy this bottle while it lasts.

Doug

Alas! It shall not be mine then. Sad that he took out some of the red/purple. Thanks much for the info regardless!