• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• mehandiratta

• Inky.Fingers

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

What do you think?

I little tough for me to decipher, but I've seen worse.

I agree, I have seen worse but this is definitely in the "difficult to decipher" classification.

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

This is mine: http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii15/Arno_/DSC01442-1.jpg

I am able to read this easily.

Edited by kathleen

"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars" ~Henry Van Dyke

Trying to rescue and restore all the beautiful Esties to their purpose.

A little reticent in this company - but here it is all the same; a top up 'cos my last picture took up too much space in my upload allowance - so it had to go. Great to see others' ordinary writing - very interesting! Mine is a bit scattered here as I'm changing pens and styles, but the last line looks like my normal hand. Thanks for the samples - love them all! Crits and suggestions always appreciated. The PS is the 'joy' used upside down for comparison.

Edited by beak

Sincerely, beak.

God does not work in mysterious ways – he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.

First post, thought this would be a good place to start.

Just a quick question, where's the button to upload pictures?

Anyway, here's my handwriting. Any suggestions on fixing my incomprehensible u, n, and m's would be great.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2518/dsc04627.jpg

Parker Rialto, my first fountain pen ^^

No idea why this one's blurry though.

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1830/dsc04628z.jpg

Rotring 1.5mm calligraphy pen.

Generic plastic oblique holder. Pictured with a Hunt 101, but I usually use a Gillott.

The background is a little border I made as the beginnings of a possible gift.

Edited by WontonST

-WontonST

www.sanjosecalligraphy.com

www.wontonst.info

Here is a sample of my writing. Suggestions are openly accepted. :embarrassed_smile:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q82/Yellow_Lab/Writing/Randywritingsample.jpg

very nice style Randy... VERY legible indeed but not at the expense of your own style :thumbup:

Trevor,

Thanks for the kind words. By the way after working with a great group of Austrialian soldiers in the Middle East I learned a few things. One in particular is the attitude toward handling problems.....No worries mate...She'll be right. :vbg:

Again thanks

Randy

It's been a while since I last posted any samples, but I've been using the italic hand more than any other of late.

However, I picked up a very nice vintage Waterman FP about a year ago and had the nib replaced with a Swan (the original Waterman nib had crossed tines!). It's a delight to write with, and I've been doodling with it every now and then. I haven't done much copperplate practice lately, but I like the flow of a similar style that has similar shapes but not the full slope. I'm a lazy blighter, so I tend merely to grab whatever piece of paper offers itself - often the back of an A4/A5 size envelope. I hate lined paper, which makes me think of early school days - I like a clean white sheet and prefer to write without guidelines whenever possible.

FWIW I'm attaching an example of the sort of result that I usually achieve. This is written quite quickly and, depending on what else is going on, is often competing with the television, so it's more likely to be 'stream of consciousness' than elegant prose or verse!

post-23480-0-72240900-1288540256.jpg

Edited by katim

That is fantastic handwriting. I love your handwriting style! What is your idea of "written quite quickly"? I´m curious to know, because in my mind, quick handwriting is when you can go to a lecture and jot down notes. I´m always interested to hear examples of people who can write both beautifully (like you) and quickly, because being a student I´m always trying to improve my handwriting style to improve my notes for/in class.

It's been a while since I last posted any samples, but I've been using the italic hand more than any other of late.

However, I picked up a very nice vintage Waterman FP about a year ago and had the nib replaced with a Swan (the original Waterman nib had crossed tines!). It's a delight to write with, and I've been doodling with it every now and then. I haven't done much copperplate practice lately, but I like the flow of a similar style that has similar shapes but not the full slope. I'm a lazy blighter, so I tend merely to grab whatever piece of paper offers itself - often the back of an A4/A5 size envelope. I hate lined paper, which makes me think of early school days - I like a clean white sheet and prefer to write without guidelines whenever possible.

FWIW I'm attaching an example of the sort of result that I usually achieve. This is written quite quickly and, depending on what else is going on, is often competing with the television, so it's more likely to be 'stream of consciousness' than elegant prose or verse!

Very nice! I really like the style and form. Well done!

Thanks for the kind comments. I didn't time the piece - not least because I kept looking up to watch some aspect of the Grand Prix! - but I reckon a piece like that would take about three minutes if I didn't have to stop to think what to say.

So it's a bit too slow for note-taking, but I'm well past the age for taking notes these days. I hope that helps.

This is very attractive, even, personal flex-nibbed writing.

Written on blank paper, your lines are enviably straight and your inter-line spacing is very controlled, which is by no means easy. It's good to see that you've stayed with your individually, identifiable, reversed descenders on the minuscule letters 'f'.....it's almost like your trademark! :thumbup:

The full Coppederplate slope is very difficult with a straight pen and really isn't necessary when flex-nibbed handwriting is as good as yours.

Edited by caliken

I've been afraid to add something to this thread, especially given the earlier examples which can only be described as art. However, my handwriting now is leaps and bounds beyond what I wrote like before I started using fountain pens. Sometimes even I had trouble reading what I wrote! This example is from a set of notes I'm writing for a new colleague who is very new. Without further ado, and replete with errors, the sample:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/CptCochrane/downsized_Image10312010220312.jpg?t=1288587904

Written with a Parker Sonnet, fine nib. Looking at it again, I should probably stop writing important notes at the end of very long days ;) I hope they can at least read it. It's my fast, day-to-day writing, quick and easy (for me, maybe not the reader).

Edited by Clifford

Clifford

Ken,

Thank you for your kind remarks! You're right that I've stayed with the reversed form of the letter 'f' - I have found that, for me at least, it provides an easier way of keeping that letter's slope the same as that of other descenders. I find that when I make the last up stroke to the right of the descending stroke, it has the effect of 'tilting' the letter backwards, whereas the reverse format keeps it at the same angle as the 'g' and the 'y'.

I suspect that that is because I'm doing something wrong, but the net result is that the reverse form is easier and somehow more intuitive. Since I have only myself to please in this heresy, I shall persist in doing it this way, but I realise that if I had to submit a piece of formal copperplate I would have to mend my ways! :-)

I haven't quite worked out what to do about the letter 'q' in this script because there's no way of avoiding the final up stroke being on the right. Fortunately it doesn't appear as often as the others!

Anyway, here's my handwriting. Any suggestions on fixing my incomprehensible u, n, and m's would be great.

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't had much chance to check in on FPN since the Dallas Pen Show!

Anyway, as another who writes "sawtooth" u, n, and m, I've found that part of the problem is inter-letter spacing - especially when those letters are strung together. Think "mummer". I note that your hand is somewhat cramped, so you might try opening things up with longer joins between letters. In this way, it's the space between letters that differentiates all those pointy bits from one another.

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/148/mikesignh6.gif

"A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral." –Antoine de Saint Exupéry

Well, here is my everyday handwriting. Any suggestions on how I could improve it would be more than welcome!

post-50964-0-40558500-1289139604.jpg

I've been afraid to add something to this thread, especially given the earlier examples which can only be described as art. However, my handwriting now is leaps and bounds beyond what I wrote like before I started using fountain pens. Sometimes even I had trouble reading what I wrote! This example is from a set of notes I'm writing for a new colleague who is very new. Without further ado, and replete with errors, the sample:

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r168/CptCochrane/downsized_Image10312010220312.jpg?t=1288587904

Written with a Parker Sonnet, fine nib. Looking at it again, I should probably stop writing important notes at the end of very long days ;) I hope they can at least read it. It's my fast, day-to-day writing, quick and easy (for me, maybe not the reader).

I can probably make out less than half of that. End result is incomprehensible. Sorry

Born British, English by the Grace of God.