What Does Your Handwriting Look Like

thebz1

My penmanship with a Waterman Exclusive F and P.R. DC Supershow Blue on Clairfontaine My Essentials notebook paper:

fpn_1510894246__2017-11-16-004-001.jpg

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• mehandiratta

• Inky.Fingers

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

My typical handwriting:

post-121662-0-34357100-1511911302_thumb.jpg

Edit to add: Forgot to mention the paper--Rhodia wirebound A4 notebook.

Also, I got a big haul of Chinese pens recently, and the Luoshi has (so far) been the best of them. It's on the wet side and the nib is surprisingly smooth, which makes the fine point feel almost like a medium nib. This is a keeper, enough to become a daily writer.

Edited by Aquaria

Hi there. I wrote a short essay on how to achieve good handwriting on my blog, and as I was writing it I discovered that the handwriting on many of the pen and ink review sites is so terrible. This really surprised me! You would think that the people talking about pens and ink would have beautiful handwriting, but I found it to be consistently bad. So I wrote another short essay with the title below and I have included the first part below also, with a few questions at the end. Anybody have any thoughts about this, or answers to the questions in the last section?

What’s up with the bad handwriting on the pen review sites?

About the bad handwriting that is so commonly seen on the pen and ink review websites and blogs, I have a few questions, and feel free to respond below. The questions are more rhetorical than not, as I don’t think that there is a sure answer to them, but I will offer a couple at the end. If you look at the pen and ink reviews on the Internet, I think you will find that the handwriting on most of the sites is atrocious. The question is, why? I would give you examples of the handwriting but then I would have to hire a lawyer to defend myself against defamation suits.

The letters in the handwriting at most of those sites (“most” is not a scientific judgment but I bet is is pretty accurate–take a look for yourself) all seem to be drawn, with inconsistent sizes and shapes and slants. The writing looks like it was written by a child or someone with a physical handicap, or an older person that can’t see well, or at least by someone that doesn’t care what his or her handwriting looks like, even in a public forum. And more often than not when the person is talking about fountain pens or fountain pen ink, he or she will give a writing sample that is PRINTED rather than in cursive. Why? Probably because their handwriting would be too ugly or unreadable, and everyone has a limit on how bad they will allow themselves to appear to others. But many of them are talking about fountain pens! And one of the strong points about fountain pens is that they allow the writer to form beautiful letters and words, particularly with a personal touch that sets their cursive off from that of others.

That leads me to other questions. Why don’t these people care? Do they not see that their writing looks scribbled? Do they actually not see that it looks bad? Have they not seen the Constitution (asked with a smile)? Do they not feel just a little bit that they ought to be an example of good handwriting for others to follow? Do they not have an ounce of pride? Of all the people that you would think would care it would be the people talking about pens and ink.

What was the point of this judgmental diatribe?

How people write doesn't necessarily have any bearing on what would make them a fan of fountain pens or ink.

Be thankful people still love writing by hand enough to do it at all. It's a dying art.

Edited by Aquaria

I thought that for those of you who are ashamed of your Handwriting should be made aware of the fact that the

Great Man of India Mr Mahatma Gandhi had very bad Hand writing, he did try to mend his ways,as a result he began to teach that "bad handwriting is a sign of imperfect education, he promoted the use of Fountain Pens,schools

began to use them to perfect proper handwriting.India has always been against the cost of over priced Fountain

Pens.One of these sellers is The Fountain Pen Revolution.Please spare the time to examine their Website for very affordable Pens.

MMDCCXLIII

fpn_1511307105__rawsnakestastegoodwhenhu

Fred

Cup o' joe

I cant understand your writing but I like it a lot. It reminds me of how they wrote the constitution

Allan😀😀

MMDCCLVIII

fpn_1513469977__facingitsraetpirra.jpg

Fred

Compos Sui

I am the master of my fate ?

I am the captain of my soul

Listening to Dream a Little Dream of Me Jeff Rupert and Veronica Swift

Tesseron lot fiftythree

Edited by Freddy

Horrible..I feel like my hand writing these days are ugly maybe because I don't write anymore. I more comfortable to type than to write but I want to improve and bring back my good writing skills again. :unsure: :unsure:

Horrible..I feel like my hand writing these days are ugly maybe because I don't write anymore. I more comfortable to type than to write but I want to improve and bring back my good writing skills again. :unsure: :unsure:

You can do it. I stopped writing cursive in eighth-grade and three years ago I started to teach myself cursive again. My printing was pretty bad, but the after working on cursive, I discovered dip pens, the firmer every-day Steel dip pens and I was in love.

If I can, you can too. Find an examplar you like, and don’t be afraid of mixing and matching letters. And then practice, practice, practice. As you write, and I liked writing while listening to the tv, stop often and critique your writing. Look out for spacing, consistency and sizing.

Good luck, and come back and show us the progress!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne