What Does Your Handwriting Look Like

thebz1

I have just purchased a sailor 1911S with a music nib so I need to find an ink/paper combination to write with a wet nib.

Any suggestions?

Buzz

For ink, anything!

For the paper I suggest Rhodia, Clairefontaine, Fabriano, Oxford, Midori, Kokuyo. But experiment, too. There are a lot of inexpensive brands which make or use good paper for their notebooks, notepads, or loose sheets.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freddy

• mehandiratta

• Inky.Fingers

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

Was bored.

So bought a cheapy italic BB nibbed pilot.

This is the current state of my writing with it.

Ink is De Atrementis Aubergine

Paper is HP 32lb laser

Ink is too much for most paper but it's a beautiful colour

post-79711-0-76005500-1533559971_thumb.jpg

post-79711-0-34414100-1533559985_thumb.jpg

Mk1 Parker Duofold Centennial in Blue Marble + GT, Medium arrow nib + broad italic aces nib.Owned since new.Parker Victory Black + GT, wet medium.Conway Stewart #388 Stub.

Mabie Todd Blackbird,semi Flex Nib.Aurora optima green auroloid Stub.Visconti voyger emerald green Broad. Waterman 92 Fine flex

www.hmshood.com The Official website of the late great HMS Hood

While I haven't reviewed all 145 pages of this thread, to confirm whether it is entirely true, I have looked at everything as far back as the start of 2016 (on page 97), and am genuinely surprised that in a thread for showcasing and discussing handwriting, there isn't even one sample of writing in a language that does not use Western Latin character sets, even though I know there are plenty of forum members based outside Europe, Australia and the Americas, and surely many more in said areas who can write in non-European languages.

OK then, this is something I'd originally done for the August 2018 Monthly Ink Combo Project over in Co-Razy-Views:

fpn_1534179024__stanzas_in_the_contest_t

(written with a Sailor Naginata 21K gold Concord nib in inverted position, on plain white Booq Booqpad 80gsm paper, on which sadly almost all inks produces feathering)

fpn_1534181144__stanzas_in_the_contest_t

(written with a Nikko dip pen using #6 and #4½ nibs respectively, on a Maruman P174 A6 5mm grid notepad with coated 68gsm paper; the grid lines are so faint they tend not to show up in scans)

In the absence of lines or grids to guide me, I generally have trouble producing the Chinese glyphs (especially where there is a large variation in complexity) in more or less the same size, or laying them out in a matrix. I cannot write half a page in English on plain paper and consistently keep the each line of writing horizontal and parallel, either. That's probably the greatest weakness in my handwriting, and what I want most to overcome. Improving the form of my lettering and my glyphs would be nice, but not being able to visualise straight lines on the blank page, or have the hand-eye coordination to stick to them, just irks me no end.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Wow dill.

The 2 centre portions have beautiful shading and variation. Was that with a concord nib?

What exactly is the function of that nib to get such beautiful colouration?

Mk1 Parker Duofold Centennial in Blue Marble + GT, Medium arrow nib + broad italic aces nib.Owned since new.Parker Victory Black + GT, wet medium.Conway Stewart #388 Stub.

Mabie Todd Blackbird,semi Flex Nib.Aurora optima green auroloid Stub.Visconti voyger emerald green Broad. Waterman 92 Fine flex

Wow dill.

The 2 centre portions have beautiful shading and variation. Was that with a concord nib?

What exactly is the function of that nib to get such beautiful colouration?

@beurling, if you meant the lines of English, they were written using a #4½ oblique steel nib on a Nikko dip pen, not the Naginata Concord nib.

The Concord nib allows me to write in a broad range of stroke widths, but not quite like that.

fpn_1534212564__inter_gravissimas_in_shi

Below is my typical handwriting, in both chicken scratch and something resembling cursive, with the three pens that are closest to being my ‘EDC’ even though I don't actually carry them often. (I am referring to the matte black ‘stealth‘ pens, all loaded with archival ink in some shade of blue-black or just black, of course.)

fpn_1534226868__the_stimuli_and_sources_

I don't really like the 7mm spacing between lines on that Rhodia notepad, though, because I prefer my writing to be tighter; also, disappointingly I'm finding the paper more prone to feathering and bleed-through than the old Rhodia dot pad I had recently used up. This is more my usual style:

fpn_1534226978__heart_sutra_and_inter_gr

The SF nib on the Platinum #3776 Century gives my writing a fair amount of line variation, which is particularly relevant to writing in Chinese, and I have a better eye for how each individual stroke should look in that regard, whereas it doesn't worry me so much when I'm writing in English.

fpn_1534230388__wing_as_example_of_strok

fpn_1534230586__five_instances_of_wing_o

(By the way, when properly counted and written, that glyph has five strokes and not eight.)

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Superb!

Just playing with pens and ink...

1 old pen. A dirt cheap Pilot geniune 1.1mm Italic filled with Diamine Aubergine
1 new pen . Sailor 1911 in Burgundy with the Music Nib. Filled with Sailor Kin Mokusei
1 very old pen with a brand new nib... MK1 Parker Duofold Centennial Blue Marble with an ACE stamped Factory Broad Italic nib! Filled with Sailor Yama Dori.

Happy Happy

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/20180820_194101.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/20180820_193356.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/20180820_193409_001.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/20180820_193514.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/20180820_193523.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/20180820_193541.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/gfbeurling/20180820_193550.jpg

I completed the last lesson in The Palmer Method of Business Writing and thought now would be a good time to add my own handwriting to this thread. Written with a Pilot Custom 823 (medium nib) with Pilot Iroshizuku Shin-Kai ink.

fpn_1534801466__img_20180819_135411442.j

Edited by putteringpenman

Currently inked:

- Pilot Custom 743 <M> with Pilot Black

- Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue <B> with Pilot Blue

- Lamy Studio All Black <M> with Pilot Blue-Black

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos