Plain Paper Moleskine Alternative?

mikej165

I have a love-hate relationship with Moleskines. I love the things that most people like about them and I hate the things that most fountain pen users abhor: iffy quality in the paper department. The show-through and bleed-through on the plain Moleskines I've used with fountain pens is just too much to bear. So I'm on a hunt for a more FP friendly alternative. What I'm hoping to find has the following qualities:

- Lays flat like a Moleskine and has the same general design

- Has paper like a Rhodia Webnotebook but is UNLINED

- Does NOT have bright-white paper

- Should be available in pocket and larger sizes.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mikej165

• gillyohan

• karmakoda

• Nikhil

Black n' Red is fantastic if you can mind lines. It fits all your other qualtites, makes writing more enjoyable with zero bleedthrough, let alone showthrough.

A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!

What I want:[/color]

Aurora Talentum

Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10

Lamy 2000

Omas Paragon

Sailor Realo

I've read good things about them, but apart from the lines, don't they also use white instead of off-white paper?

I use Piccadilly notebooks. They're Moleskine clones with more fountain pen-friendly paper, and at less than half the cost of the Moles. They also have a large size that's roughly A4. All their sizes are available unlined (my preference.)

I use Piccadilly notebooks. They're Moleskine clones with more fountain pen-friendly paper, and at less than half the cost of the Moles. They also have a large size that's roughly A4. All their sizes are available unlined (my preference.)

I have a few of those and am using one now, as a matter of fact. I like the Piccadilly for their low cost, but the paper quality really can't be called high quality. In my experience they are also somewhat inconsistent. Give me a blank Piccadily with Rhodia quality paper and I'd be delighted.

Piccadilly is my current Moleskine clone of choice, as well. I find the paper MORE consistent than Moleskine, but it's still not THAT great. The paper really struggles with any pen that is kind of a wet writer. The price is right though.

Inked:

Pelikan m205 black 0.9ci/F Italifine (Diamine Damson);

Aurora 88 nikargenta (Iroshizuku Kon-Peki);

Pelikan 140 Steno (J Herbin Lie de Thé)

Piccadilly is my current Moleskine clone of choice, as well. I find the paper MORE consistent than Moleskine, but it's still not THAT great. The paper really struggles with any pen that is kind of a wet writer. The price is right though.

Agreed on the price, and I generally like them except for the problem you mention. This problem is, naturally, compounded by the fact that I prefer wet writing pens.

Agreed on the price, and I generally like them except for the problem you mention. This problem is, naturally, compounded by the fact that I prefer wet writing pens.

Yeah, my Custom 74 is kind of a wet writer, and has forced me to change what inks I use just to use it in a Picadilly. I don't like not being able to use certain pens on certain papers. Bums me out.

Inked:

Pelikan m205 black 0.9ci/F Italifine (Diamine Damson);

Aurora 88 nikargenta (Iroshizuku Kon-Peki);

Pelikan 140 Steno (J Herbin Lie de Thé)

Yeah, my Custom 74 is kind of a wet writer, and has forced me to change what inks I use just to use it in a Picadilly. I don't like not being able to use certain pens on certain papers. Bums me out.

I wholeheartedly agree. I think the main reason I like using nibs that are wetter is because it makes them draw a line that is slightly wider than what they would create under less liberal ink conditions. So, with a wet writing P51 fine nib, I tend to get a line that is somewhat closer to a medium. Combine that with a lubricating ink like Private Reserve Tanzanite and you have something that approaches the flexibility of a fine with the smoothness of a medium. At least that's how I like it.... Alas, the dreaded show-through/bleed-through problem then rears its unsightly head.

I have limited experience with the Ecosystem notebooks some Barnes & Noble stores carry. They're good Moleskine knockoffs and they come in blank paper.

These look great and include some nice features (such as numbered pages) that I'd like to see on Moleskines... How is the paper quality?

These look great and include some nice features (such as numbered pages) that I'd like to see on Moleskines... How is the paper quality?

Now that I read the other thread, I see the paper quality is dependent upon the production date of the journal. As I recently purchased some items from Journaling Arts, I emailed them and they indicated they were aware of the change that they had both in stock; I only need contact them after I place my order to ensure that they send the version with the newer paper.

I think I'm going to order. Thanks for the suggestion.

The Habana I think is coming out with an unlined version this quarter or next. you may want to keep an eye out for it.

A gentleman is one who puts more into the world than he takes out.

http://clipart.usscouts.org/library/BSA_Character_Counts/thumbnails/cub_scouts_char_counts_co.giffpn_1364474496__woundedwarriorlogo03.jpg

The Habana I think is coming out with an unlined version this quarter or next. you may want to keep an eye out for it.

From all the positive comments I've read about The Habana, I would say I'd probably buy one immediately if that were the case. I think I would feel the same way about Rhodia's Webnotebook.

I've had good success with DeSerres, although others on the Network have had spottier results.

http://www.deserres.ca/en-ca/products/graphic-arts/stationary-and-office-supplies/notebook-and-sketchbook/deserres/deserres-notebook-/649/dnccah/

The price is good but the website makes me crazy.

We have the Quo Vadis products readily available locally and they work great for me. Convenient and a little less than the Moleskin.

Also Paperblanks is making some great sketchbooks in addition to their line of notebooks. The Christmas sale on these was so good I bought a dozen, got six free!

I like the look of the SemiKolon books, and I will be checking out the Lechtturm.

No, the addiction couldn't just end with pens, it's notebooks too....