stub nibs

amble63

I've enjoyed checking out the writing/nib examples and thank everyone who posted one.

I hope I don't offend anyone here, I'm sure not trying to but I has to "calls 'em likes I sees 'em".

I'm just not seeing in my eyes very much line variation on alot of these.

I have 8 CI's from 3 different sources. Generally I am happy with them though they all are probably towards the cursive ITALIC side of CI rather than the STUB side of CI (if there is such a thing). I actually have a nib that to me is smoother than most of my CI's and has about 90% of their line variation. And, if there is a Sad part to it, it's that nib is only a $11 nib. Nib and grind, total. Lookie here (Carefully note the crosshatch to the left).

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_XB-IYvzxVyY/S0ObcgxeLZI/AAAAAAAABFE/3YpD1GAQrfY/s800/Stuff%20037.jpg

Now, this is on a nib that isn't even tipped.

What does Lamy know (or do) that apparently others don't or can't (certainly not for anywhere near the same price anyway...)

Bruce in Ocala, FL

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amble63

• rogerb

• OcalaFlGuy

• anaximander

Top Posters In This Topic

That's weird. To my eyes, your stub seems to produce thicker cross strokes and thinner down strokes - the opposite of a normal stub. Can you tell us more about this nib?

Ah, but wouldn't that depend entirely on how one holds the pen and writes? I certainly do not write/hold the pen so that my up/down stroke would be fully vertical on paper and at the same time full up/down stroke on the pen (sort of, that would mean that my hand would be mostly under what I write (right handed)). Instead, my hand is forward and slightly below of where I write and thus the nib is at 45 degree angle. Further, my handwriting is slanted forward.

What does all of this add up to? For my normal writing style, thinking about watch face, I think the thickest line would be a stroke from between 10/11 position to between 4/5 position (and back), and the thinnest stroke would be from between 7/8 position to between 1/2 position.

/Tojusi

edited to correct my expression of directions

Edited by Tojusi

Thanks to rogerb for those fantastic writing samples. Makes me want to go ink shopping. My Pelikan stub from binder isn't a very wide one, but it does give some line variation. Check the tops of the capital Ts, for instance. And Tojusi is quite right about the angling of the pen. My broadest strokes with the stub are in the NW to SE direction.

I am an extreme lefty overwriter. I have an Aurora 88 stub and love it. I get good line width variation and no problems. This pen is very wet and bold. It is great for reasonable fast block lettering. Not so good for fast cursive note taking.

Not sure what the problem is with smeared ink for lefties. My hand, arm and elbow are above the paper - there is nothing for wet ink to touch.

Bob

Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."