Montblanc Oyster Grey

Michael R.

This answers my question about using this ink at work. Maybe I should try some.

Is the new Midnight Blue permanent too? I'll bet FPN member MidnightBlue will be stocking up on this color!

I got a bottle of that. It says it's permanent. To me it looks like the new Midnight Blue and Blue-Black are one and the same inks. With the exception of Toffee Brown and Oyster Grey which are new colours, the other colours I found seem to be the same old inks with a new name and label. I haven't found the Lavender Purple, and the Irish Green is not released yet.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• Michael R.

• shrinknib

• Wael El-Dasher

The instruction sheet mentions the bottle shape is for emptying residue. I always assumed it was designed for a reservoir to fully immerse the nib, which could be filled by simply tipping the bottle even when ink was low.

Perhaps someone could explain the emptying residue process.

Fred

Hi Michael,

I find the flow about average to slightly dry. Besides the choice of pen paper color is of course something to consider for this ink. Oyster grey doesn't shout for attention, and it's not for those who like vibrant colors, but I like it because it serves a calm, unusual, and understated role. Jeen

I bought a Platinum 146 on sale yesterday at the boutique and tested the Oyster Grey while I was in the shop. I did not purchase the ink because it looked a little too washed out to me. It looked a bit like a washed out black, but I think I might use it one day if I had a real wet and broad nib like a 0BBB puddle.gif

"God's not interested in operating a brownie-point system - he's only interested in loving and forgiving those who are brave enough not to deny what they've done. . . brave enough to be truly sorry, brave enough to resolve to make a fresh start in serving him as well as they possibly can" Susan Howatch

The instruction sheet mentions the bottle shape is for emptying residue. I always assumed it was designed for a reservoir to fully immerse the nib, which could be filled by simply tipping the bottle even when ink was low.

Perhaps someone could explain the emptying residue process.

Fred

As I recall, this was discussed in another thread a while back...and if I remember correctly, someone who knew German said that this was just an issue of how instruction was translated.

So, as I remember it, you are correct that it's just a way to move ink so that you have enough to dip nib into when filling.

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

So, perhaps, "residual ink" rather than "ink residue"... :)

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

I've written a couple of letters with it and used it at work today, and I'm very pleased with it!

It is unusual yet understated and can be used in a variety of venues. It somewhat resembles pencil/graphite writing which appeals to me, because I'm not a fan of intense, deeply saturated inks. It is very easy on the eyes. It is the kind of color that I predict will be more popular in the far east than the west. Some will find it too washed out, but it's my new favorite ink! :bunny01:

Edited by Blade Runner

Thanks for posting this review. It looks great in the photos. I keep bugging the local MB Boutique and they told me we'll get it early April. I guess that's when they expect their next MB shipment of pens and inks. I know I am buying a couple of bottles to start off and probably more later on when the rumor starts that they're discontinuing the color. It seems inevitable that if I like something, it goes out of production.

On another note, I keep finding Racing Green bottles around the house in unexpected places. So perhaps my strategy from now on is to hide bottles so I always feel I am out of ink!

cheers

Wael

Edited by Wael El-Dasher

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

I like the colour, bit like a washed out black. Not sure about the oyster?????

I haven't seen it but I am partial to naming it Weimaraner Gray :)

cheers

Wael

“Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis”

Weimaraner Grey ?? Comes close !! I have to agree with Blade Runner that the Oyster Grey is very pleasant to the eyes. And I don't agree that it looks like washed black. This ink looks like a real grey. In fact, when wet, it looks lighter than the dried up color. And shading is nice when using a BB nib.

Look at this for some pics of the first try

and here is a snapshot of the oyster grey

http://hotpepper01.jalbum.net/L139/slides/DSC07999.JPG

Filling a fountain pen is much more fun than changing a printer cartridge

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Just got my first bottle of Oyster Grey and really like it. With a fine flex vintage nib it has lovely variation from almost pencil graphite grey to a light black with a little pressure. It doesn't jump off the page but has enough interest to bring the eye back to it. Flow is on the dry-ish side but not terrible. This was my first MB ink and the box and bottle were nicely presented as well in my opinion.

Woohoo! lad to see I'm not the only fan! Ruud, nice photo. It does look best in a pen with good flow. :thumbup:

The only concern I have is that it will be discontinued. :crybaby:

I like the colour, bit like a washed out black. Not sure about the oyster?????

I haven't seen it but I am partial to naming it Weimaraner Gray :)

cheers

Wael

I'll give you two labradors for a weimaraner??

What a gorgeous dog.

Still not sure which segment of the oyster is grey?

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)

Think the old, discontinued MB colors will be on sale at MB boutiques? I'd love to pick up a bottle of racing green.

In any case, I'm stopping by mine today to have a looksy. I can report back if it's helpful.

Edit: My local MB store had no racing green left, and turns out it wouldn't have been on sale anyway. They also said they just got the Oyster Grey in today -- wasn't even in the computer system yet (I found this out because they were not able to check the price for me.

Edited by mateo44

Still not sure which segment of the oyster is grey?

http://suakahati.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/oyster.jpg

http://suakahati.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/oyster.jpg

Michael

nice!

we have some nice oysters down our way- sydney rock, coffin bay.

maybe the next colour will be oyster naturale, oyster kilpatrick??

:roflmho:

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)