Montblanc Oyster Grey

Michael R.

Nice review, nice ink! What I like most about that this "grey" is that it is a very subtle grey. Not too light, not too dark, above all not too "dull". No hint of blue, but... yes... a hint of brown. Hey, that's what oysters are all about.

Mike :clap1:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael R.

• Blade Runner

• Ed44

• ruud2904

Yes, it is available in cartridges. I bought a box last week.

Hetty

Yes, it is available in cartridges. I bought a box last week.

Hetty

Thanks. I just ordered 2 boxes.

Well, I'm not that impressed with the MB Grey. I tried it in my MB 149 and my Pelikan M800 and in both pens, the color was just too light. It doesn't seem to write as wet as other inks do. I'll be trying it in cartridge form later this week when my shipment arrives but I don't expect any improvement. So, my favorite grey ink still is my Omas Grey.

I have a new bottle of OG as well and I found it to be a little uninspired, even coming out of a <B> 149. I thought it would be a great daily file note ink but it just doesn't have the oomph for me.

Lovely colour but limited use I'm afraid. It does look great on high quality white paper, but on other coloured paper it loses the shading.

• 6 months later...

I just got some of this stuff and I really like it in my Lamy 2000 Medium. Writing in my Leuchtturm 1917 Journal is amazing on the ivory colored paper. I bought this stuff on a whim and ended up really enjoying it! Surprisingly, it writes nice and wet, I quite like the way it feels and looks coming out of this great nib.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am finding flow problems with this ink--in a normally wet writing Pelikan M800 with a BB nib. Normally the pen is decent at feeding the thirsty nib, but with Oyster Grey I have lots of skipping and stopping--I can even see the ink run dry between the spread tines. Ironically, in my Parker 51, the capillary action of the hood keeps the ink flowing--but it looks so pale it's like light pencil lead out of the fine nib.

This ink can look beautiful when it's flowing through a broad, wet nib: great color, depth and shading. But performance issues are a problem. I will post later if I find a pen that can work well with it.

I have found out that all Mont Blanc inks tend to skip in my wet writing 149 after using Midnight blue ink in it. After writing for a while this problem goes away. I flush my pen really well after using midnight blue but the problem always happens. It never does this with the washable Mont Blanc inks. My 149 is eight years old and I use it a lot. I fill it with ink every 2 or 3 days. This problem only happens with using Mont Blanc Midnight blue ink.

I appauld your efforts in evaluating the MB inks. What is the brightest blue MB has available now? I apologize for my confusion. Thanks.

I must admit that I have a bottle of oyster grey and I haven't tried it. I must get around to trying it out.

I have just purchased some Mahatma Gandhi saffron ink, and was sent a small bottle of red scented free with it.

I do love unusual coloured inks, but my current favourite is Montblanc emerald green. I have 2 bottles stashed away, as I much prefer this colour to their racing green. I also have a 75th anniversary 147 traveller in which I use White Forest cartridges. This looks like an even darker green

Edited by Chrissy

• 2 weeks later...

I've never tried it before, and I'm stuck between this and the blue and the black/blue. Thanks for the review!

Now that I think about it, after reading the review of the black/blue, I think I like this better. My minds made up. I guess I'll buy a bottle. Is $17 too pricey for a bottle?

Edited by Gcouch

• 5 months later...

Thanks for comprehensive review.

When I got this ink, I tried it on a Lamy Safari Medium nib and frankly, I hated it. It was so pale and light. Then I wanted to give another try and used it in a Wality 69 with a Knoxx Oblique nib, which is a wet writer. And ta taa! It was great. I guess it is better to use this ink with Broad and wet pens.

Every day I'm blogging

writetomeoften.com

• 6 months later...

i use this lovely grey with my pilot 78g bold and i saw the same problem with you.this ink chooses paper.