Montblanc Oyster Grey

Michael R.

The MB booklet which comes with the ink does not list a green ink:

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn140/PENSnINKS/Inks/MBINK.jpg

Anything akin to British Racing green?

Please ask this question again in a couple of weeks :ninja: ... it is too early to spread rumors already.

Cheers

Michael

The bottle's front compartment is to empty residue? What the....?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael R.

• Blade Runner

• Ed44

• ruud2904

Even more confusing, the midnight blue is an iron gall ink? Is that even safe for FP's?

DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

Even more confusing, the midnight blue is an iron gall ink? Is that even safe for FP's?

It's obviously the same as their current (or old depends on how you look at it!) blue/black.

My five rules for living:

1. Free your heart from hatred, 2. Free your mind from worries, 3. Live simply, 4. Give more, 5. Expect less

My pens: MB Greta Garbo; MB 149; MB Mozart; Lamy Safari; Lamy Al-Star; Lamy Joy

My work: Bid Writing, Copywriting and more!

Thanks for the review, Michael.

Inkanthropist

[FPN ACCOUNT ABANDONED. I AM NO LONGER ACTIVE HERE, BUT AM SADLY UNABLE TO CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND DELETE MY POSTS.]

...this is funny and a case of lost in translation and not a case of solid ink residues which will clog your pen :roflmho: The German text means/translates to something like "the bottle has a front compartemt so you can use up small amounts of remaining ink when the bottle is almost empty" = ink residues :sick: .

As hollyuk writes: ...same as it ever was (OT: any Talking Heads fans here?)

Cheers

Michael

thank you so much for this excellent review, I hope the cologne boutique gets this ink soon so I can get some.

Wish list: Aurora Optima

Current inked Pens: Pilot Decimo - Noodlers BBH, MB Mozart - MB Lavender

Pelikan M150 - Noodlers Kung te Cheng

It's obviously the same as their current (or old depends on how you look at it!) blue/black.

Wow, you learn something new every day. I didn't know they used iron gall in their ink. With all the warnings I see about IG ink, it was kinda unexpected.

DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

Wow, you learn something new every day. I didn't know they used iron gall in their ink. With all the warnings I see about IG ink, it was kinda unexpected.

It's only used in the blue/black (or the new midnight blue by the look of it) and not in the other colours.

My five rules for living:

1. Free your heart from hatred, 2. Free your mind from worries, 3. Live simply, 4. Give more, 5. Expect less

My pens: MB Greta Garbo; MB 149; MB Mozart; Lamy Safari; Lamy Al-Star; Lamy Joy

My work: Bid Writing, Copywriting and more!

Hello,

I don't see Bordeaux, Racing Green, nor Violet in that list. Will they dare not to produce them any more?

In my current rotation:

Pelikan 400 Brown Tortoise/14K Fine/J. Herbin Cafe des Iles

Lamy 2000/14K Medium/Lamy Blue-Black

Sailor 1911 Large burgundy/21K Naginata Togi Medium/Diamine Oxblood

Montblanc 146/14K Fine/Montblanc Racing Green

Rosetta blue/Steel Pendelton cursive italic/Pelikan Royal Blue

Delta Passion/18K Broad/Diamine Syrah

Just flush periodically and don't let it dry out in your pen, and you wont' have a problem.

I flush once a month or two, less often if I'm refilling often, and in my 149, i've never had a problem in the past 15 years. I enjoy the vintage look and its water resistance. I use it to address my envelopes among a variety of purposes.

Beautiful color grey--I like the new bottle now--it took a while. Is this ink for sale in MB boutiques available now?

Oyster Grey and Toffee Brown seems to be available in the German Montblanc boutiques.

I got my bottel of the new grey still before the new year in the last week of december in the Hannover MB boutique; Toffee Brown was sold out already but they expected new shipments for Jan.

Cheers

Michael

Will we be seeing a Toffee Brown review soon? I am really intrested in the color, I hope it isn't a rebranded Sepia.

A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!

What I want:[/color]

Aurora Talentum

Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10

Lamy 2000

Omas Paragon

Sailor Realo

At the end of 2009 Montblanc introduced the first new ink colors of a new line of inks to the public.

In some countires few bottles of the new green ink (Irish Green) were sold while German boutiques offered few bottles of the new colors Oyster Grey and Toffee Brown.

Besides changes of the color selection the ink bottles show a new design. The new bottels hold 60ml of the ink which is 10ml more compared to the previous design.

This is a writing sample of the new Oyster Grey ink (written with a MB 146 medium nib). Montblanc Oyster Grey is a darker mediun grey ink. Even it is a fairly neutral grey it shows some warm tones.

It shows slightly less magenta tones compared to Sailor Grey and appears to be a more true grey compared to Noodler's Lexington Grey.

Since MB Oyster Grey is a darker grey ink it looks almost like a faded black ink in some pens (written with a MB 146 broad nib). Also some pens are able to produce some shading.

Drying time is good but some Montblanc inks appears to be more free flowing (compared to the Oyster Grey).

Cheers

Michael

Thank you very much!

...this is funny and a case of lost in translation and not a case of solid ink residues which will clog your pen :roflmho: The German text means/translates to something like "the bottle has a front compartemt so you can use up small amounts of remaining ink when the bottle is almost empty" = ink residues :sick: .

As hollyuk writes: ...same as it ever was (OT: any Talking Heads fans here?)

Cheers

Michael

What may be lost in translation is the fact that the German language is quite literal in its meaning of describing something.

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

That is exactly what has happened here. The German word 'Rest' translates to residue, but means rest in general.

Montblanc uses the word 'Restentleerung' in their German description, which according to most dictionaries is: emptying of residues, but actually doesn't have the connotation it has in English.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_umCR_mxKcEk/S0x0RG7ebiI/AAAAAAAAEzc/nBIg2IySaqY/s800/CIMG4710.JPG

Anyway:

Very nice review of a very nice color, thats very high on my list. :thumbup:

Peter

"All modern American literature comes from one book by Mark Twain called Huckleberry Finn." - Ernest Hemingway

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_umCR_mxKcEk/Sg7Z_DC24YI/AAAAAAAAEEo/ubA0n5EC5Xw/s144/sig.JPG

Will we be seeing a Toffee Brown review soon? I am really intrested in the color, I hope it isn't a rebranded Sepia.

As soon as I have it :embarrassed_smile:

When I picked up the Oyster Grey the Toffee Brown was sold out already (the Hannover boutique received less than 5 bottles of each colors still alst year).

They only had a sample bottle left and I only took a look at the ink through the glass; it did look a little bit different from the Sepia (more brown and less red) but I didn't try it on paper.

Cheers

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

The new inks are on my list and this Oyster Grey in particular. I can't wait until it becomes available in this small country I live in.....

patience, grashopper, patience -_- -_-

Filling a fountain pen is much more fun than changing a printer cartridge

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png