Pelikan Blue-Black

Ondina

I like it, but only in really wet pens, as it is so dry. THe first couple pens I tried it in were just dreadful, laying down scrawny, weak lines. But in a Pelikan (go figure) with a binder CI nib, it looks great, dries in a reasonable time, and is pretty water resistant.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4f_4pakI/AAAAAAAAA14/_d-MITGtqvY/s320/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ondina

• ethernautrix

• lambertiana

• Bo Bo Olson

Try adding a surfactant or something that contains a large quantity of a surfactant, such as dish detergent (preferably not one that is ammonia based). Only a very small quantity should be required - one or two drops per 50 mL of ink should do the trick.

Glycerine is a better option. Soap tends to counteract lubricant (e.g., silicone) used for pistons.

Just my $.02.

• 1 year later...

Now, that's a nice blue-black and review!

Is Pelikan BB an iron gall ink?, and How does it compare to vintage Sheaffer, Parker and Waterman BBs?

Juan

This is an authorized reply from the person in charge of the ink department, written and signed by him in reply to a question specifically addressing the chemical nature of the ink. It is just a few weeks old, and it is pretty much exact to other reply that dates from a couple years back.

Ink 4001 Blue-Black is a mixture. It contains dyes for the blue and a small percentage of iron-gall for the Black.

The Blue component may vanish after some time when exposed to daylight, but the iron-gall-component makes the writing black and very long lasting on the paper.

Regards

Werner Bräutigam

Now, that's a nice blue-black and review!

Is Pelikan BB an iron gall ink?, and How does it compare to vintage Sheaffer, Parker and Waterman BBs?

Juan

This is an authorized reply from the person in charge of the ink department, written and signed by him in reply to a question specifically addressing the chemical nature of the ink. It is just a few weeks old, and it is pretty much exact to other reply that dates from a couple years back.

Ink 4001 Blue-Black is a mixture. It contains dyes for the blue and a small percentage of iron-gall for the Black.

The Blue component may vanish after some time when exposed to daylight, but the iron-gall-component makes the writing black and very long lasting on the paper.

Regards

Werner Bräutigam

I knew it. People keep saying that there is no Iron Gall in it but you proved them wrong. Good stuff! Now we are certain.

I knew it. People keep saying that there is no Iron Gall in it but you proved them wrong. Good stuff! Now we are certain.

Another member recently spoke with Pelikan and the answer was that it wasn't, so I'm afraid this will add up to the confusion. I just wanted to share the information, but by no means prove anyone wrong. In other european forum a very respected and knowledgeable member published a similar e-mail. The conclusions seem to be that the BB is a uniquely formulated ink, part dye, part iron-gall, that behaves extraordinarily well and has outstanding properties, as brilliantly shown in this review.

I fully agree with you as a lover of ferrogalic inks, that anyone that has used Pelikan BB feelsit is a modern iron-gall ink. Grateful it has been in production for very long and hoping it will be around for at least another century, thank you OP for the great work, pictures, information and die-for handwriting.

Another member recently spoke with Pelikan and the answer was that it wasn't, so I'm afraid this will add up to the confusion. I just wanted to share the information, but by no means prove anyone wrong. In other european forum a very respected and knowledgeable member published a similar e-mail. The conclusions seem to be that the BB is a uniquely formulated ink, part dye, part iron-gall, that behaves extraordinarily well and has outstanding properties, as brilliantly shown in this review.

I fully agree with you as a lover of ferrogalic inks, that anyone that has used Pelikan BB feelsit is a modern iron-gall ink. Grateful it has been in production for very long and hoping it will be around for at least another century, thank you OP for the great work, pictures, information and die-for handwriting.

I read that post too but he/she spoke to a customer service rep and they are not as informed as the person from the ink department. Well that's my guess.

lovely review :thumbup: thanks for sharing. I will have to consider this ink.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 weeks later...

It's a very reliable, low cost ink whose colour, while not vibrant, is rather pleasing to the eye, and respectable too.

My bottle really smells bad though. Weird much.

Adi W. Chew

I really like the look of this, but also like the R&K Salix. For those who have tried both, which do you prefer?

I got that same response from Pelikan Customer Service in 2009. The customer service rep forwarded my email to Werner Bräutigam, he responded in German, and the customer service rep forwarded that to me with the english translation. I speak German so I could see the original reply from Werner, and there was no doubt that it has a little iron gall in it.

• 3 years later...