• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ondina

• ethernautrix

• tawanda

• Lloyd

Thanks Ondina

I think I'll get another Pel BB because I do use it a lot anyway. But I'd like to try the Sailor and the Pilot BBs, just wish there was somewhere in the UK that sold them.

while I love Noodler Navy for my Blue Black I wonder why you don't try the Diamine Blue Black in the little 30 ml bottle. I find mine to be quite water=-resistant with a lovely shade of blue/gray once it dries and great shading. Also--check the threads but I think one of the Iroshizuku colors was reported to be blue black. Just forget which one. May also try ebay for a vintage bottle of Watermans Blue Black. They're on there all the time, a review has been written on it in the Ink Review section and sounds like it would be a wonderful ink since it is truly vintage. Also while on the ebay topic, check out Greenman508's site--he carries many of the Noodlers inks. Don't know what it would cost to ship to UK but may be worth at try

Knoxville TN & Palm Coast FL

Tawanda, Pelikan BB (at least all the batches I've used since long ago) are water resistant. Review here:

http://www.fountainp...showtopic=86277

Given is quite affordable and sold at most b&m shops, trying to get a new bottle may be the way to go till you can find other that suits your needs better.

If you're referring to Ethernautrix's comment on Pel BB's water-resistance, she later remembered having mixed it with Noodlers Bulletproof black. Others on FPN have said that Pel BB is NOT water-resistant at all.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Pelikan Blue Black is water resistant. I find that it dries to a grayish blue hue.

Then it must be the ones Jeff E and myself buy....

The author of the review must be buying the same as well...

It doesn't flee at the sign of water (looking at you W'man) but it isn't bulletproof, either.

Given the variability some ink batches show, I can't say they all are. But that the Pelikan BB bought in Germany I use is, that is for sure.

Tawanda, Pelikan BB (at least all the batches I've used since long ago) are water resistant. Review here:

http://www.fountainp...showtopic=86277

Given is quite affordable and sold at most b&m shops, trying to get a new bottle may be the way to go till you can find other that suits your needs better.

If you're referring to Ethernautrix's comment on Pel BB's water-resistance, she later remembered having mixed it with Noodlers Bulletproof black. Others on FPN have said that Pel BB is NOT water-resistant at all.

Yes! I bought another bottle of Pelikan Blue-Black and two packs of cartridges, cos I'd forgotten that I'd added a bit of Noodler's Black to the bottle I have. When I tested the ink (from the cartridge), it was not waterproof. Also, the color was much lighter, heh.

No biggie, I'll just add some Noodler's Black to the new bottle when I've used up all the other bottle. It's a very nice dark blue-black, btw.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Was then only the cart, and not the bottle, or both tested before adding NB? Some of us ( and even independent bloggers) get fair waterproofness right out of the bottle.

Was then only the cart, and not the bottle, or both tested before adding NB? Some of us ( and even independent bloggers) get fair waterproofness right out of the bottle.

Hm... I don't remember if I tested the old bottle of ink pre-NB. I'm thinking that I must have and that that was why I added the NB.

I haven't opened the new bottle yet (pretty sure I haven't. I mean, why would I? I still have the old bottle.... This is me thinking aloud to myself, heh.), so the test was with that cartridge. The ink didn't disappear completely, but it was washed out enough -- and not dark enough to begin with -- that I'm not satisfied with it.

etherX in To Miasto

Thanks, Ethernautrix. I can only test again with a year old opened bottle, but it will have to wait till some natural light ( for the pics) is available once more.

Is Sailor BB "jentle" ink the same formula?

correction for spelling. jentle is on the box

The Jentle inks are normal dye-based inks, while the Kiwaguro inks are pigment-based.

The Jentle Blue and Blue-Black are a little darker than their Quink equivalents.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

I seem to have come into this discussion rather late, but I must say that I think you have overreacted to the "warnings" regarding modern iron-gall and the various Noodler inks. Modern iron gall inks are not going to destroy your valuable fountain pens, even if left for a few weeks without maintenance. Using Diamine Registrar's ink should be no problem if you flush the pen every six months or so.

Ditto Noodler's inks. If they do dry in the pen (and that would take more than a hospital stay of a few weeks!), the pen can be rescued with extensive soaking and soaking with a bit of ammonia. It will not be damaged permanently or destroyed.

My experience is that all Pelikan inks (the colors and behavior of which I love) are fugitive, especially in the presence of moisture. I have them all, but use them only when I do not expect the notes I take, or the corrections I make on a manuscript, to last. There are plenty of blue-blacks that will last, so why take a chance?

Since you are in the UK, I would suggest Diamine Registrar's ink in at least one pen, then Noodler's Navy in another. See what you like best. Noodler's Navy is not totally "bulletproof," but it is highly resistant to water. If it is not black enough, add a drop or two of Noodler's bulletproof black, which is also nice to have around for those documents that require black or call for the most permanent possible protection.

Noodler's Navy is not totally "bulletproof," but it is highly resistant to water.

There is a good amount of Noodler's Black ink mixed in with the blue that makes up Noodler's Navy. So the black component is actually bulletproof. In a soak test the blue will wash away leaving a very readable black rendition of what was written.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

Noodler's BB is supposed to be "near" bulletproof. There is also the new "Bad Belted Kingfisher" that you might want to look into.

-Bruce

I have to thank Loyd, Ethernautrix, and Tawanda for reminding me about the excellent ink Pelikan BB is. Review and test here .

Not only shows great water resistance, but I find the color has improved from the old days ( or the combo of pen and ink tried this time shows the best of both).

Wow, Ondina, the color of your Pelikan Blue-Black is gorgeous! THAT's the blue-black that I want! It's very different from what I get with Pelikan Blue-Black, even with the mix with Noodler's Black -- although my mix does come close in the Stipula Vedo. What pen did you use? I'm convinced that the pen makes a difference.

Here's my own water test:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/4245325154_fe6e0c43d6_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4061/4245325238_bcfa100362_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2527/4245325296_26d26b369e_o.jpg

I'm no longer sure that I can call that "significant fading" since, especially when compared to Ondina's Pelikan Blue-Black, mine starts out considerably lighter.

Whoa.

ETA: Okay, I see that you mentioned the pen. I'm still slightly stunned over your darker Pelikan Blue-Black. I'll have to try mine in other pens and see what happens.

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

BTW, the second photo is of the paper submerged in water, having been submerged for at least one minute. The last photo is from this morning, and the paper is dry.

etherX in To Miasto