Best inks for extra fine nibs?

ehebert

I realize this is a doubly dead or (doubly reawakened?) post, but just wanted to say how helpful Sandy1's explanation of the line+ink+page alchemy was for me. Thanks!

Edited by seimodern

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ehebert

• Sandy1

• LizEF

• PAKMAN

On 12/28/2009 at 10:30 PM, ehebert said:

Currently, my favorite pens to use are Pilots 78Gs with fine nibs and Pilot Penmanships with extra fine nibs. I like using a variety of colors, but not every saturated ink works well with extra fine or fine nibs. So far, I’ve had great experiences with:

extra fine nibs: Noodler’s Navajo Turquoise Eel, Noodler’s Cactus Fruit Eel, Noodler’s Cape Cod Cranberry, and Diamine Blue Steel

In fine nibs: Noodler’s Gruene Cactus Eel, Noodler’s Purple, Pilot Blue (all of these dried up in extra fine)

Not good in either: Diamine Orange, Levenger Gemstone Green (both are great in my medium Preppys)

I’m looking for a red that is rich and bright in a fine nib. And perhaps a darker green. Also, a dark blue...

Please list the inks that you love to use in extra fine nibs. Thanks!

Pelikan 4001 royal blue and Parker Quink

EF nibs!!!

As I am currently using it for the first time, and have been pretty impressed by it so far, I'll throw Noodler's Zhivago in.

I think the color varies somewhat from bottle to bottle, but mine is a really dark green that has great contrast in an EF (though not much shading). So far it seems to resist spreading really well even on cheap paper, and doesn't feel dry. I have not yet had any start-up issues. Don't yet know how difficult it will be to clean.

Noodler's Walnut had a lot of the same merits. I found that that one left some residue in the pen that was easy to wipe off, but pretty much didn't move with water or flush. This one gives a bit more shading than Zhivago IIRC.

Because I like inks that don't spread, I have also tried a lot of IG inks. Platinum Classic Forest Black and Cassis Black, Salix, and a Salix+Scabiosa mix. Of these, I had some startup issues with Salix and Forest Black, and the Forest Black just doesn't give me a color that I like with an EF. None of these had poor contrast though, and they all shaded pretty nicely.

I would give the caveat that a lot of these qualities will vary with factors other than ink, including probably in the same pen.

Instagram handle: wellofdrawledge

It's only the Noodler's Bad series made to be colorfast that's been different or difficult for me but that does work in a a very wet pen I have and if it's kept in use. In fairness to Noodler's, I noticed both the blue and purple Private Reserve inks I tried stained inside of converters the way some criticize Noodler's. 

For readily available, nice colors and doesn't break the bank I suggest Diamine and Monteverde inks. My fine nib pens are a Parker, Pelikan and Mont Blanc and those flow well, have good hue, and will show shading for all of them.

I have not tried the Diamine or Monteverde in some old rubber sack type pens but the fine point models I mentioned here are all decades old pens.

I use Akkerman #5 “Shocking Blue” and this sheens very lovely even with my Japanese fine and western extra fine nibs. Next to that the Noodler’s Kiowa Peacan has some lovely shading in extra fine nibs.