Best inks for extra fine nibs?

ehebert

Currently, my favorite pens to use are Pilots 78Gs with fine nibs and Pilot Penmanships with extra fine nibs. I like using a variety of colors, but not every saturated ink works well with extra fine or fine nibs. So far, I’ve had great experiences with:

extra fine nibs: Noodler’s Navajo Turquoise Eel, Noodler’s Cactus Fruit Eel, Noodler’s Cape Cod Cranberry, and Diamine Blue Steel

In fine nibs: Noodler’s Gruene Cactus Eel, Noodler’s Purple, Pilot Blue (all of these dried up in extra fine)

Not good in either: Diamine Orange, Levenger Gemstone Green (both are great in my medium Preppys)

I’m looking for a red that is rich and bright in a fine nib. And perhaps a darker green. Also, a dark blue...

Please list the inks that you love to use in extra fine nibs. Thanks!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ehebert

• Sandy1

• LizEF

• PAKMAN

Hi,

I have Sheaffer Red filled in my Lamy Safari fine and the color is beutiful. Just based on color, it's my favorite ink. It's definitly not a blood red, but its a rich and bright red in all means. Also, I have Private Reserve DC Electric Blue filled in my Vector. When writing with it upside down, it produces a EF line and the ink comes out very nice. Before I got the Sheaffer, this was my favorite.

A Proud 14 Year Old Fountain Pen User!

What I want:[/color]

Aurora Talentum

Pilot Custom 823 Amber Bought on 4.1.10

Lamy 2000

Omas Paragon

Sailor Realo

Hi,

I'm not a big fan of plain Red, but Quink is OK. Likely better out there, but it works for me. (I do a mix of Magenta + Yellow that I call 'Illegal Lipstick' (Thanks MJ!); the colour that you imagine lipstick to be in the old B&W movies; or that would have you sent to jail.)

For Dark Blue, the Sailor Nano BlBk Dark Blue is outstanding in Pilot F nibs. Fast to dry. Very tight line.

Bye

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I heard that Noodlers Inks clog pens. Is this true? Have you heard about this?

Currently, my favorite pens to use are Pilots 78Gs with fine nibs and Pilot Penmanships with extra fine nibs. I like using a variety of colors, but not every saturated ink works well with extra fine or fine nibs. So far, I’ve had great experiences with:

extra fine nibs: Noodler’s Navajo Turquoise Eel, Noodler’s Cactus Fruit Eel, Noodler’s Cape Cod Cranberry, and Diamine Blue Steel

In fine nibs: Noodler’s Gruene Cactus Eel, Noodler’s Purple, Pilot Blue (all of these dried up in extra fine)

Not good in either: Diamine Orange, Levenger Gemstone Green (both are great in my medium Preppys)

I’m looking for a red that is rich and bright in a fine nib. And perhaps a darker green. Also, a dark blue...

Please list the inks that you love to use in extra fine nibs. Thanks!

Every ink will clog pens.

You will hear that Noodler's ink clogs pens, dissolves pens and produces hazardous fumes. Most of us don't live such exciting lives and have found that it's just ink. YMMV.

If you'd like to see for yourself the Pear Tree Pen Co. (no affiliation) offers an ink sampler.

When I started buying bottled ink about a year ago, I began with Noodler's because of the great variety of colors and the reasonable price. I also liked that they were made in Massachusetts (I'm from CT). I have since added other ink brands to my collection, but I haven't had any problems with Noodler's clogging my pens. In fact, they work great even when I don't use the pen for a few days. I'm especially happy with the inks I listed above as working with extra fine nibs. Even in extremely fine lines, the colors are rich, beautiful, and never washed out.

Noodler's standard Red flows better than Sheaffer's new Skrip Red in the Platinum Preppy and Hero 100, so I recommend Noodler's standard Red (but I like both inks).

All of my pens are extra-fines or fines. Here are some inks I like in extra-fine nibs:

Red: Diamine Monaco Red. A dark, blood-like red. It is not bright though, so you may not like it. Waterman Red is bright, but not rich.

Dark Blue: Rohrer & Klingner Salix (iron gall). A beautiful greyish blue.

Green: I don't like dark green, so I can't be any help here.

Bright Blue: Diamine Sapphire Blue

Turquoise: Waterman South Seas Blue. Bright and cheerful in an extra-fine, overwhelming in a fine.

Purple: Rohrer and Klingner Scabiosa (iron gall). A muted, grey-toned purple.

I've been on a quest to see if I could commit all Seven Deadly Sins in a single day. Finally, it dawned on me I shouldn't try for the One Day Wonder Prize for all seven in one day. It's simply out of any question as you can't commit decent sloth while busily ticking the other six off your crowded "to do" list. -- ViolinWriter

I found some Skrip Permanent Red in an antique store (in perfect order, clear and usable, full bottle). I loaded it into a fine nibbed pen. I am *not* otherwise a vintage ink person, but...

I gotta say, this is one of the best pure reds. And it's really great in fine nibs. :thumbup:

Edit: I should add - Diamine Monaco Red is AMAZING in fine nibbed pens - heck, in anything. Great ink.

Edited by kushbaby

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

Noodler's Fox Red is my main red ink. It will feather and bleed on some papers and is notorious for nib creep if you don't wax your nibs. I have had it loaded in a cartridge pen for at least 18 months without flushing and have not had even the hint of a clog.

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

Noodler's Red Rattler (an American Eel ink) should work well in a fine nib. It contains a lubricant that assists flow.

No problems here with Noodler's "clogging" or otherwise harming pens. As with any ink, maintaining your pens (flushing periodically, not letting them sit around for long periods of disuse) is always recommended.

Nikita Red by Noodler's is my favourite red. It is just a standard ink, not bullet/waterproof. It is a pure red. Just red. No extra orange or blue. Just red. It works well in fine and medium nibs, in my experience. YMMV.

I use Fox Red for my bulletproof needs.

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

• 6 years later...

Even though all the above were posted seven years ago, the advice has been very helpful. I wrote every ink recommendation down and will look for them. Oddly, after a long hiatus, I recently returned to my fountain pens and have been re-familiarizing myself with them. One of the pens is a red Aurora with a fine nib. Using it was like trying to write with a pin. I had forgotten. None of my inks worked. They came out so pale - I guess the term is "dry" - that I could barely read what I wrote. I confess to being overwhelmed by all the ink choices these days, so the above-named inks helpfully narrow things down. This particular Aurora is an LE and very gorgeous. I hate to think of it sitting in the pen case, unused and neglected. So, thanks again.

SD

My experience has been that with an EF nib, I need to use a DARK ink, to get enough contrast to easily read my writing.

I used one of my normal inks, Waterman Florida/Serenity blue, and the blue looked faded and washed out.

It turns out that it is an optical illusion. The ink line is the same color/darkness as with a M nib, but because it is so narrow, the eye sees more paper than ink, so the ink "looks" lighter.

To compensate for this, I have to use a DARK ink to get more contrast, to easily read my writing.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I have very few pens with EF nibs. I had particular trouble with an EF-nibbed Sheaffer Snorkel (even some vintage Skrip Peacock didn't do well :huh:). The first ink that did well in it was (modern) Skrip Purple.

The other main pen I use regularly which has an EF nib is a Cedar Blue 51 Vac; it also has been doing well with modern Skrip ink (at the moment it's Skrip Blue).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Even though all the above were posted seven years ago, the advice has been very helpful. I wrote every ink recommendation down and will look for them. Oddly, after a long hiatus, I recently returned to my fountain pens and have been re-familiarizing myself with them. One of the pens is a red Aurora with a fine nib. Using it was like trying to write with a pin. I had forgotten. None of my inks worked. They came out so pale - I guess the term is "dry" - that I could barely read what I wrote. I confess to being overwhelmed by all the ink choices these days, so the above-named inks helpfully narrow things down. This particular Aurora is an LE and very gorgeous. I hate to think of it sitting in the pen case, unused and neglected. So, thanks again.

If you haven't already, you might want to check out this more recent thread for other suggestions.

Many otherwise pretty inks, don't look like much with an xf nib. Need something dark and non shading to look good.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hi,

Slightly Off-Topic:

The written line must be sharp - no feathering. (Iron-Gall and Nano Particle R Us.)

The paper should be smooth, which promotes a taut line, and perhaps shading.

The paper should not be loaded to the gunnels with optical brightening agents, which fluoresce, hence confusing the eye of the reader as to the position / plane of the [optical] surface of the paper, and just where the edge of the written line exists - as if the written line is back-lit.

IMHO, for high readability the simultaneous contrast of both Hue and Value of the ink+paper combo should be dialled-down a bit.

To expand upon Reply 14 above by dear Member ac12 :

• Part of the thing is one's ability to detect the line edge, so eyesight [visual acuity] comes into play.
  • Broadly speaking, one perceives a 'grey zone' (blur / dithering / uncertainty) at the interface of ink and paper, and with all things being equal, that dimension is fixed for each person. When one works with narrow nibs, that fixed dimension is a greater % of the line width, so the perceived Value (light-dark) of the line is greater than lines from wider nibs, where the grey zone is a lower % of the total line width.

Note: The above comments are based on empirical observations from doing Ink Reviews, (many pens on many papers), plus a pinch of salt from on-the-job colleagues who design instrumentation displays.

__

My visual acuity is high, so line quality is important to me, but the recipients of correspondence may not give a rodent's rump. I am concerned that they think that I should stick with wider nibs, and quit fooling around.

Oh, for yours truly, a narrow nib + Visconti Blue is amongst my top picks - VBl has a Vibe. On Powder Blue airmail / onionskin paper it is more than a treat. :)

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I find J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage to be a wonderful ink in my Pilot Metropolitan with a Fine nib (extra-fine by western standards). It shades a little bit despite being used in an especially fine nib, flows well; I've never had any problems with the behavior of the ink. It's overall a very pleasing true green, without the heavy blues or yellows that many greens have. Highly recommend.

- J

I have a cheapy Platinum Carbon desk pen with an Extra Fine nib. I have had problems with it drying up in the nib with any ink I tried, including the recommended Platinum Carbon Black and Sailor Kiwaguro Nano-Carbon Black. I finally found relief with Iroshizuku Take-Sumi, their dye-based take on Sumi carbon brush ink. It has behaved faultlessly since then, even after sitting unused for a couple of weeks it started up immediately.

Also make sure your pen cap seals properly. I have a few Pilot 79Gs Medium nibbed pens which will dry up no matter what ink after a couple of days non use.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching