Help Me Choose: Vanishing Point vs Lamy Dialog 3

lamarquise

Help me choose a retractable FP!  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Which retractable FP should I get for an everyday pen?

As far as leaving ink on the trap door, you might consider trying a good safe ink like Waterman Florida Blue or one of the Pilot/Namiki inks, which are pretty waterproof. I had the same problem with my regular VP until I switched inks. The problem might go away if you change pens, but I doubt it. I have nothing against the D3. In fact I think it is quite cool, but your Fermo should not be causing problems, and it might be easy to get it working well.

Dave

Hi Dave, I use the Pilot IC-100 cartridges mainly. Ink on the trapdoor is very minor on my pens, doesn't affect performance at all, nor leak onto clothing. It is simply noticeable compared to the Lamy overengineered trapdoor on the Dialog 3. Looking forward to trying it out.

Have a wonderful New Year!

-Calvin

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lemon328i

• rdh

• lamarquise

• Silvermink

I'm new to the network as well. I have a few VPs and just bought the Dialog 3. The pens have completely different feels. The D3 handles like a straight pipe, but the VPs taper a bit toward the end and the new ones' clips provide a perch for you fingers. The VPs also have more flexible nibs. But the D3 has that Bauhaus look only Lamy delivers. Also, the D3 sits low in a shirt pocket, but the VPs stick up -- like old Cross pens. I like the more flush profile. I also like the slightly wetter, thicker line from the D3. Maybe because it's new it's now my daily writer. I've also taken out a VP to put back in rotation, but haven't re-inked it. I'd got with the D3.

I own several Lamy's and Pilots and I currently prefer many pens to the VP simply because of the ink capacity. Especially if you are going for a stub nib. I have a couple of nibs for my VP and anytime I use the stub, I have to carry another pen for 1 day worth of work. That being said, this week, in my pocket is my 2000 and my Dialog 3 arrives tomorrow. I'll try to pop back on and give you my take on the D3.

The Vanishing Point is beautiful and there are several lovely colors from which to choose; you could choose the yellow or the purple if you want something different. If I could stand the location of the clip with respect to how I hold a fountain pen for writing then I would buy the purple one.

I say the VP but I don't really like Lamy pens. You may want to try the VP since the clip bothers some

Email me for an updated list of ink for trade or if you want to exchange letters

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5673/inkdz2.png