Sir Winston Churchill and Onoto

david@onoto.com

There’s been a lot of comment and discussion recently on FPN about which fountain pen Sir Winston Churchill used. If the truth be told, he probably used more than one brand, but what has become fairly clear, thanks to some inspirational work by Martin Marx in South Africa, is that the great man preferred to use an Onoto.

It’s surprising that no hard evidence had previously been available – we had done a lot of research in trying to find proof of his use of an Onoto, without much success. The only ‘evidence’ we found was in Onoto newsletters from the 1950s which included him in a list of worthy Onoto users. But that’s not real evidence. We surmised that since the De La Rue offices in London and all the paperwork they contained, were destroyed in the blitz on September 11, 1940 (The first ‘9/11’?!), any hard evidence had gone up in smoke.

However, what Martin recently discovered in reading a book called ‘Speaking for Themselves: The Personal Letters of Winston and Clementine Churchill’ compiled and edited by their daughter, Mary Soames, is proof – hard evidence – of Winston’s preference for Onoto. In a letter to his wife, Clementine, dated 23 November 1915, Churchill writes from Northern France where he has been seconded to the Grenadier Guards. He is in the trenches at the front line, ready to fight the Germans. "My Darling, We have finished our first 48 hours in the trenches...", he writes. "Filth and rubbish everywhere, graves built into the defences & scattered about promiscuously, feet and clothing breaking through the soil, water and muck on all sides; and about this scene in the dazzling moonlight troops of enormous rats creep and glide to the unceasing accompaniment of rifle and machine guns and the venomous whining and whirring of the bullets which pass overhead."

With almost 100 years’ perspective, it’s hard to imagine the horror and terror of front-line action in The Great War, yet Churchill seems to accommodate it with surprising equanimity and more than a little pride. "In spite of losses which have left scarcely a dozen of the original personnel remaining, and repeated refills from various sources, the tradition and the system of the Guards asserts itself in hard work, smartness and soldierly behaviour, It will always be a memorable experience to me to have served with them.”

Yet in the very next part of his letter, comes a complete reversal of tone – one that perhaps underlines his privileged status – or his ability to bend the rules! “Will you send now regularly once a week a small box of food to supplement the rations. Sardines, chocolate, potted meats, and other things which may strike your fancy. Begin as soon as possible...”

And then the critical statement: “Send me also a new Onoto pen. I have stupidly lost mine.”

Just 5 days later, on 28th November 1915, Clemmie pens her reply from Cromwell Road in London, evidence that the military postal system between the front and London was working surprisingly well. “My Darling, I miss you terribly – I ache to see you. When do you think you will get a little leave? Shall I come and spend it with you in Paris or will you come home...? It makes me very anxious to feel that you are staying longer in the trenches than your duty requires.”

She ends her letter, “Am sending you foods & Onoto pen.”

So, unequivocally, Sir Winston Churchill used an Onoto pen. The next question is what sort of Onoto he might have used. Any opinions?

Anyone who wants to explore the correspondence in greater depth can get a copy of the book from Amazon. It’s published by Black Swan in paperback.[/font]

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chris

• parilla

• Rufus

• karmakoda

Thanks for that information, David - very interesting. Although it´s hardly surprising that WC used Onotos, solid proof is always interesting to see. But I do think it´s slightly amusing that the info is found in a book published by Black Swan. Wouldn´t be surprised if WC had one of those as well...

That is fascinating. I have visited his house, Chartwell, as well as toured the Government War Rooms in Whitehall. In both there are exhibits containing fountain pens on desks but it is not clear whether they are props from the period or the actual pens used by Sir Winston himself. Some items are clearly identified as original but not the pens. Even if not the actual pens used, they are certainly of the period (the Imperial War Museum sees to authenticity).

Of course it is quite possible that even though Sir Winston spoke of a particular brand in 1915, by the 1940s he may have used many other pens in the meantime, thinking of them as tools rather than items of a personal or sentimental value.

Thank you for the information.

Chris

Great story on one of the greatest man. Reading this really pictures the horrific scenes in the trenches of WOI and convinces me that the great man himself has been there and experienced it all.

Filling a fountain pen is much more fun than changing a printer cartridge

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing, fortuitous research.:notworthy1:

I'd have thought the 3000 type would have been most likely, with the top feed - mostly due to the moderately early date. Basically just like the one you got from the sunken ship of similar date.

Just having fun guessing though..

Regards,

Richard.

• 2 weeks later...

That is fascinating. I have visited his house, Chartwell, as well as toured the Government War Rooms in Whitehall. In both there are exhibits containing fountain pens on desks but it is not clear whether they are props from the period or the actual pens used by Sir Winston himself. Some items are clearly identified as original but not the pens. Even if not the actual pens used, they are certainly of the period (the Imperial War Museum sees to authenticity).

Of course it is quite possible that even though Sir Winston spoke of a particular brand in 1915, by the 1940s he may have used many other pens in the meantime, thinking of them as tools rather than items of a personal or sentimental value.

Thank you for the information.

Chris

I am curious; what pens did you see at the museum?

I'm sorry I could not identify them. Partly because you could not get too close, and certainly it was "Do not Touch!" but partly because I don't know enough about most pens to be able to identify many from a key feature (like a white spot on the cap - OK that one I know, along with an arrow clip, but the others were just 'old black fountain pens' to me :( )

Perhaps other folks here have been to these places and can shed more light on the exhibits.

In the Govt War Rooms, most of the pens in most rooms were 'dip 'n' scratch' as I knew them at school, and there were inkwells in the desks and BIG bottles of (mostly red) ink on shelves. But I think pencils were the biro of the day ;)

Chris

I assume that in the lates '30s and during WW2, Churchill used the awesome Onoto Magna. It just fits the man.

(...and best of luck to the new Onoto company!)

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Why not write to Baroness Soames directly and ask her the question? She's still alive and the last of Winnie's and Clemmie's children.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

Very interesting post. Excellent research, presented well.

Sir Winton was a celebrated Connoisseur and he appreciated fine items in food, champagne, cigars, of course and pens. In the Conway Stewart brand focus forum, I asked which Conway Stewart Mr Churchill used, and there was good discussion and speculation as to which type he used. Again, some serious research presented well.

Nice to know he had a strong and early appreciation of the beautiful Onoto pens as well. Many Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

In 'The Business of War', written by General John Kennedy, the author states that in 1943, in his room at the house of Commons Churchill was amending his speech using 'his red ink stylo pen' (page 189). So, although no brand or further details are given, we now know he used a stylo at times. (Perhaps everybody already knew).