What would you choose?

Margana

Recently I purchased a Parker "51" aero with a Binderized 0.7 cursive italic nib. It needs an ink that will give it good flow but not turn it into a gusher. I am also looking for a little shading. So far I've tried a couple of Quinks and now it's time for something different.

Any suggestions?

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Margana

• KCat

• Roger

• jeffbg

I'd easily recommend any Waterman or Diamine ink, but I personally prefer inks that shade, especially with specialty nibs. Waterman Blue-Black, South Seas Blue, Diamine Tropical Blue all come to mind right off hand. I've also had very good experience with Noodlers inks and like them. Basically, most of the inks by the major companies should be ok. There are a few that tend to be more free-flowing -- PR Tanzanite has that reputation, along with a few others.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I am a fan of Omas Grey (new formulation) for my cursive italic; it shows delicate shading, and is neither too wet nor too dry. I am also fond of Noodler's Cayenne, for a dark/burnt orange ink that shows shading and line variation.

I too like shading when I'm using my stub and cursive italic nibs.

Ink recommendations include Legal Lapis, Diamine Prussian Blue and Noodler's Beaver Brown.

Enjoy the new nib!

-- Jeff

Diamine Diamine Diamine. :)

Their blues and greens are lovely.

Oh yeah. And their Sepia is a nice golden brown that does shade very nicely.

:)

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

If you are into the color, Noodler's Apache Sunset may be the planet's most shading ink. It's not my cup of tea, however, but a nice conservative blue that shades nicely is Noodler's Ottoman Azure.

Do some legwork in the ink reviews on this board. I think it was Wim who posted a very comprehensive review of several, one of which was Ottoman Azure. The Apache Sunset is represented in a review also, It was written by Viseguy, and posted by me.

Roger

Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

Margana - that "51" of yours is no stranger to Diamine Prussian Blue, which looks fantastic from that cursive italic. It's also spent some quality time with Waterman Florida Blue - another great match-up if you ask me!

I hope you enjoy whatever you choose.

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

Margana - that "51" of yours is no stranger to Diamine Prussian Blue, which looks fantastic from that cursive italic.  It's also spent some quality time with Waterman Florida Blue - another great match-up if you ask me!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Though I own over 30 bottles of ink, not one was mentioned in this thread. The closest I can get is Diamine Indigo. At least in swatches on the web it looks similar to Diamine Prussian Blue so I will give that one a go. Reckon another ink order is in my very near future.

Nice to know a bit of the history of one of my pens, Ryan, even if it was a very brief chapter in its life. Imagine the stories these vintage babies could tell!

Margana

A certified Inkophile

Margana - that "51" of yours is no stranger to Diamine Prussian Blue, which looks fantastic from that cursive italic.  It's also spent some quality time with Waterman Florida Blue - another great match-up if you ask me!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Though I own over 30 bottles of ink, not one was mentioned in this thread. The closest I can get is Diamine Indigo. At least in swatches on the web it looks similar to Diamine Prussian Blue so I will give that one a go. Reckon another ink order is in my very near future.

Nice to know a bit of the history of one of my pens, Ryan, even if it was a very brief chapter in its life. Imagine the stories these vintage babies could tell!

Margana

Whilst I use Quink to test out a pen when I am working, no delete that ;) , messing about with it, once I get it about right, Diamine Prussian Blue is a good ink that works reliably, has a bit of character and also photocopies well that is important for me.

Can't go wrong with either that or a "51", but I have been known to be biased :D

J :ltcapd:

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

Do you happen to like Pelikan inks? I am a big italic nib fan, and I have found that Pelikan "Brilliant Brown" contains enough orange that it is light enough to not gush from a nib, while dark enough that it provides good line variation.

I have also found that Noodler's "Legal Lapis" has some of the same properties of the Pel BB, while being a permanent ink. I like brown inks, so I also tried the Noodler's "Eternal Brown" and I have found it to be very good for line variation also.

Good luck. Please tell us what you decide to use, and provide a writing sample if you get around to it.

Margana - re needing flow, RB recommends adding Tryphon Ink Safe to ink to increase flow. (But never detergent, as is often used.) So you may want to try your favourite ink in your 51 after adding a couple of drops.

- Jonathan

Do you happen to like Pelikan inks?  I am a big italic nib fan, and I have found that Pelikan "Brilliant Brown" contains enough orange that it is light enough to not gush from a nib, while dark enough that it provides good line variation.

I have also found that Noodler's "Legal Lapis" has some of the same properties of the Pel BB, while being a permanent ink.  I like brown inks, so I also tried the Noodler's "Eternal Brown" and I have found it to be very good for line variation also.

Good luck.  Please tell us what you decide to use, and provide a writing sample if you get around to it.

As it turns out I do have a few Pelikan inks and will give one a go once I empty the current load of Bleu Myosotis. I'll post results when I've tried enough inks to make a decent test.

Thanks for all the excellent ideas. I think I'd better hit the Ink Exchange for a few samples of some of the most likely prospects. :)

A certified Inkophile

Margana - lots of votes for Legal Lapis eh..! (Too bad you just sent your only bottle of it to ME! (hehe) It does make any pen write like butter! It was noticeable at the first pen stroke. That nib creep is the only unfortunate characteristic :( )

I noticed that Sailor inks also make pens write very smoothly without being too wet. Don't know if you have any of those..

As for shading, my favorite shader ink is Noodler's Habanero. Man is it gorgeous!! But the color is anything but conservative...

I hope you find some great inks for your pen. Your handwriting is awesome, and the stubs just add that much more to it!

Very jealously yours, ;)

Marina.

"By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher. "

- Socrates

Margana - lots of votes for Legal Lapis eh..!  (Too bad you just sent your only bottle of it to ME! (hehe)  It does make any pen write like butter! It was noticeable at the first pen stroke. That nib creep is the only unfortunate characteristic :( )

I noticed that Sailor inks also make pens write very smoothly without being too wet. Don't know if you have any of those..

As for shading, my favorite shader ink is Noodler's Habanero.  Man is it gorgeous!! But the color is anything but conservative... 

I hope you find some great inks for your pen. Your handwriting is awesome, and the stubs just add that much more to it!

Very jealously yours,  ;)

Marina.

Marina - I don't really feel :doh: about the Legal Lapis since you are so happy with it. I did like the color but did not like the ink in the caps and on the sections of the pens I tried. So please enjoy it guilt free.

I do have some samples of Sailor inks courtesy of Dillo and the brown looks very promising. I will try it soon. It did not work well in the English Duofold oblique italic that has been a stubborn project despite every ink I've tried. I can't fault the ink since so many have failed. I expect Sailor brown will work much, much better in the "51".

I like ink that isn't conservative but I think Habanero is too spicy for me. ;) I did pick up some Waterman South Seas today so that's another ink I can try.

Thank you for the kind words about my penmanship. I find it way too inconsistent. No way can I do the calligraphic writing you can. Maybe next lifetime...if I start practicing now. :eureka:

M

A certified Inkophile