Extra postage for black envelopes with gold ink ?

jbb

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jbb

• Chthulhu

• Enai

• ofpwriter

I don't see why you would... How ever, I think I need to get a letter your way soon, so I can get some of this kind of treats my way. ;)

I don't see why you would... How ever, I think I need to get a letter your way soon, so I can get some of this kind of treats my way. ;)

Yes indeed -- writing me a letter is a VERY GOOD IDEA! http://bestsmileys.com/thumbs/7.gif These black paper letters and envelopes with metallic inks are definately being inspried by Halloween. http://bestsmileys.com/halloween3/16.gif

If you wait until Christmas everything will be red and white striped. http://bestsmileys.com/christmas1/12.gif

Edited by jbb

You'd have to check with the postal service to be certain on additional postage, but if you can put the sealed black envelope inside a white or off-white envelope and mail it that way, you'll also avoid having that pretty black envelope and gold ink damaged in transit. :-)

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

You'd have to check with the postal service to be certain on additional postage, but if you can put the sealed black envelope inside a white or off-white envelope and mail it that way, you'll also avoid having that pretty black envelope and gold ink damaged in transit. :-)

http://bestsmileys.com/thinking/5.gif Hmmm.... that may be a good idea but don't you think it will lose some of it's visual impact if it doesn't arrive as a black envelope with gold ink? Imagine getting the mail and having a black & gold letter versus one in white with blue ink.

Hmmm.... that may be a good idea but don't you think it will lose some of it's visual impact if it doesn't arrive as a black envelope with gold ink? Imagine getting the mail and having a black & gold letter versus one in white with blue ink.

The problem is that the automated machinery won't be able to read the address very well, and your pretty black envelope may be delayed *and* arrive with a black-on-white postal barcode stuck to it.

USPS recommends "Use a white or a light solid pastel color for the background of the mailpiece and utilize black or a dark color for print of the delivery address and related information."

Mike Hungerford

Model Zips - Google Drive

The problem is that the automated machinery won't be able to read the address very well, and your pretty black envelope may be delayed *and* arrive with a black-on-white postal barcode stuck to it.

USPS recommends "Use a white or a light solid pastel color for the background of the mailpiece and utilize black or a dark color for print of the delivery address and related information."

http://bestsmileys.com/sad/9.gif Now you're even more right than the last time! http://bestsmileys.com/sad/9.gif I guess (in lieu of someone else coming up with other right information) I need to put an outer envelope on the letter.

I'll be the dissenting opinion and voice of experience here.

I write letters with black (and brown, and dark purple, and very dark blue) envelopes quite frequently (and I receive them, a little less frequently). I generally address with a metallic ink, usually silver or a colored metallic. They always get there just fine, and I use whatever postage by weight is necessary (regular 44 cents under 1 ounce, etc). They will sometimes have the white label with black barcode, but that peels right off. Other times they have the fluorescent, UV-reactive orange ink for the barcode, and you can barely see it.

Examples of things I've sent or received, all arrived no problem:

Quoth the raven

Black postcard

Black with glitter dots

More black with glitter dots

Brown envelope, received

(Sorry, I am no good with attaching photos so I've had to send you to links.)

Go for it, JBB!

Edited by GreenVelvet

Wow, this will be worth trying just for the "fluorescent, UV-reactive orange ink"! Perfect for Halloween!

Having read GreenVelvet's testimony from experience, I'd also say, go for it, JBB! :)

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

Send one to yourself and see what happens.

The USPS is pretty good with crazy addresses and colors. One friend sent us a card with our two first names and the city and state. It arrived in good time. A full name and a five-digit zip code works too, in this town, at least.

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

I'll be the dissenting opinion and voice of experience here.

I write letters with black (and brown, and dark purple, and very dark blue) envelopes quite frequently (and I receive them, a little less frequently). I generally address with a metallic ink, usually silver or a colored metallic. They always get there just fine, and I use whatever postage by weight is necessary (regular 44 cents under 1 ounce, etc). They will sometimes have the white label with black barcode, but that peels right off. Other times they have the fluorescent, UV-reactive orange ink for the barcode, and you can barely see it.

Examples of things I've sent or received, all arrived no problem:

Quoth the raven

Black postcard

Black with glitter dots

More black with glitter dots

Brown envelope, received

(Sorry, I am no good with attaching photos so I've had to send you to links.)

Go for it, JBB!

Wow! I'm so inspired. What wonderful examples GreenVelvet. I need to stop holding back. Thanks to all for the encouragement!!

I know that one letter with a black envelope, gold ink and regular postage arrived safely so far.

Good to hear that! It pays to live on the edge. :)

I keep coming back to my Esterbrooks.

"Things will be great when you're downtown."---Petula Clark

"I'll never fall in love again."---Dionne Warwick

"Why, oh tell me, why do people break up, oh then turn around and make up?

I just came to see, you'd never do that to me, would you baby?"---Tina Turner

I know that one letter with a black envelope, gold ink and regular postage arrived safely so far.

Good to hear that! It pays to live on the edge. :)

PM your address if you want a black & gold/metallic snail mail.

Edited by jbb

Yes! It arrived in all its metallic splendor. What fun to get such a unique and witchy letter just before Halloween. jbb - you're the best!

Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!