• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew_L

• readytotalk

• ethernautrix

• attika89

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you! The pen exceeded my expectations both externally and as nib works, so I am really very satisfied))

About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org

or watch on social networks

Facebook: @ArtDesignPenS

Telegram: @ArtDesignPenS

Pinterest: ArtDesignPenS

Instagram: @andrew.lensky

I’ve been wanting a nib like this for quite some time. I have a Platinum 3776 Century with a C (double broad) nib. I’m thinking of having it ground to an italic. @Andrew_L Do you have any suggestions for me before I send it out to a nibmeister? I not entirely sure of what I’m looking for. I don’t really want a stub nib. I want something more like that Sailor music nib. What kind of grind should I be asking for?

I didn't quite understand the question. Do you have a Broad(С), but you want a Musiс and don't like a Stub? I can say that Sailor`s Music is almost a Stub. It's just modern Stubs are 90% steel nibs without tip, but the line they give is the same. I don't really like Stubs, because usually a wet line turns them into a vintage Stubish nibs, but I really like Crisp or Formal Italics. If you like a contrasting line, then I recommend this form, if you just want a comfort write by unusual form, then you can order Cursive (or Daily) Italics.

ps: Early I have Platinum Music from which I made Cursive Italics. I liked this nib so much, but then one of my clients tried it and asked me to sell it. I still regret that I agreed to it and sold it)). By the way, the photo of this nib placed somewhere in this topic, or you can look on it on the website.

http://lenskiy.org/2020/05/ground-music-to-crisp-italic-modern-platinum-3776-blanace/

Thank you. You answered my question even though I didn’t ask it clearly. From what you said above, I think what I am looking for is a cursive italic. I will start looking where I can send it to get it ground. I appreciate your helpful feedback!

Yes, I hear you. Every Sunday during our regular church service we pray for the people of the Ukraine and that this war would come to an end. We have some people in our church who are from the Ukraine and have family there. It is very difficult for them.

hit there - was just going through some of my fathers old art stuff searching for his dip/caligraphy pens and found them! (might have 1 or 2 more in storage?)  I had never tried these before and there were two broad? stub? italic? one was spectacular - they are crusted with ink so I can't make out sizes etc - but will try to clean them in the coming days.

My question is - where can I pick up broad/double broad etc nibs in size 5 or 6 - would love to swap one onto one of my pens rather than the dip method - although I have a feeling I'll be getting some sparkly ink for cards this holiday season and using the dip for those (no need to gum up a pen!)

Edited by cat74

@cat74 The vast majority of large modern fountain pens use 6 size nib, and those who are slightly smaller have a size 5(or 4) size nib. Italic from the factory can now be produced only Aurora, no one else makes it, for other brands you need to order regrind from nibmaster service.
So it seems to me that Pilot Parallel Pen would be the best cheap option for signing postcards. They come in 4 sizes: 1.5mm, 2.4mm, 3.6mm and 6mm. It's almost a fountain pen.
If you need an inexpensive variant of ordinary fountain pens, you should look to Stub - these nibs are made of steel and are used by many brands. A more expensive version is a Music nib, as modern Platinum or Sailor.

8 hours ago, cat74 said:

hit there - was just going through some of my fathers old art stuff searching for his dip/caligraphy pens and found them! (might have 1 or 2 more in storage?)  I had never tried these before and there were two broad? stub? italic? one was spectacular - they are crusted with ink so I can't make out sizes etc - but will try to clean them in the coming days.

My question is - where can I pick up broad/double broad etc nibs in size 5 or 6 - would love to swap one onto one of my pens rather than the dip method - although I have a feeling I'll be getting some sparkly ink for cards this holiday season and using the dip for those (no need to gum up a pen!)

If you are looking for size 5 and 6 nibs to swap into one of your current fountain pens, it might depend on where you are in the world. Since I am in the States I know a few good options for buying these nibs. Others here can probably tell you where look elsewhere in the world depending on your location. Of course you could always ship international but then it’s not as cost effective. 

12 hours ago, cat74 said:

My question is - where can I pick up...

Go here https://www.fprevolutionusa.com to Fountain Pen Revoution, & click on Nibs/Feeds link on their menu bar. Plus, they have a 20% Off Sitewide weekend sale going on for Vet's Day. 

I got 99 problems but a BIC ain't one! 

~◇◇◇◇~

Ever notice that all the instruments looking for signs of intelligent life in the universe are pointed away from Earth? 

~◇◇◇◇~

If I said I'll fix it, I will. There's no need to remind me every 6 months. 

after a soak and a bit of cleaning it turns out these were calligraphy nibs C3,C4 and C5 - maybe broad or italic would be the nearest alternative for a fountain pen? I'm up in Canada 

Looks like a C3 is 2mm in width  - for just under $3 I can pickup a whole calligraphy fountain pen (1.9mm tip) from Ali Express? never tried them but I know they have been around a while - maybe I'll place an order and see what happens

13 hours ago, cat74 said:

Looks like a C3 is 2mm in width

Look at Pilot Parallel Pen set ( http://lenskiy.org/2018/03/modern-pilot-parallel-pen/ )

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

anyone know of a source other than ebay for Esterbrook nibs?

My mother just gave me her school pen from the 50s - and Esterbrook M2 -but the nib is bent - I'll try to correct it but just in case I might also buy a "new" nib 

The Andersen’s 

vintage Pens

eBay

midnight pens

Jessterbrook

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.