Writing with Custom 823

jamesteuy

Just got a Custom 823 and the instructions on the cap said that the knob should be turned about 2mm to be get the ink flowing and to start, and turn the knob back when done.

Is it necessary to close the knob every time when I am done writing? Will the pen leak if I don't do this and I put the pen in my shirt pocket? Is there any other problems if I do not close the knob?

I have tried searching but did not come up with anything, and in the reviews of the 823, I did not find and definite answer. Looking to hear from other 823 owners. Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mgutman

• Tsujigiri

• Flourish

• jamesteuy

I keep my 823 in the "loosened knob" configuration all the time. It has never leaked, and writes perfectly (immediately) every time I go to use it.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Sometimes I do screw it down and sometimes I forget. No problem either way.

iPad, Midori passport and MD notebook, Quo Vadis Habana, Watson-Guptill sketchbook

I usually screw it down after use, but never had a leak when I didn't.

The feed holds quite a bit of ink, so you do not need to unscrew it for a quick note.

I agree, you don't need to unscrew it for a quick note. But I've just got in the habit that when I uncap it, I also twist the end open a turn or two. It's not a big deal, and it is a wonderful pen to use!

• 2 weeks later...

So, if you keep the knob loose at all times, is it likely to loosen more while you are carrying it in your shirt pocket? I am not sure if this pen employs the 2-stage unscrew processes: the first stage for the on-and-off for ink flow and the 2nd stage for loading and unloading ink.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

So, if you keep the knob loose at all times, is it likely to loosen more while you are carrying it in your shirt pocket? I am not sure if this pen employs the 2-stage unscrew processes: the first stage for the on-and-off for ink flow and the 2nd stage for loading and unloading ink.

After about 2mm the end cap is completely unscrewed from the threads. The knob takes quite a bit of pulling force to extend past the threads and into the filling mode. It is not going to happen by accident.

Maybe that users should only screw this fountain pen in airplanes or when it's very hot.

I'm not sure about when it's hot, but you definitely need to do this for airplanes, as I know from experience.

• 1 month later...

It's all just so screwy around here. Looking past the to screw or not to screw argument if you're going to put the pen in your pocket isn't it better to have less surfaces for the errant thread or button to catch on when storing or removing your pen? Because when your blind cap catches you will have to push the cap back in and you will get one of the most impressive squirts of ink ever to emanate from a fountain pen. And don't forget the added benefit that when the ink is closed off from the nib this is one of the rare fountain pens that you can shove upside down into your pocket without much fear of inky damage. Isn't that why we bought this pen in the first place, because their are those of us who no matter how well intentioned we are we will abuse the common senses of fountain pen usage?

I will close the shutoff at the end of the day, or when I'm taking a flight with the pen. It really isn't an issue to turn the blind cap a couple of turns to open or close, but, as I stated in the first sentence, I often will not do this. I carry the pen in a leather 2-pen pouch in my pocket and haven't had any issue with the piston coming undone. As someone else had written, it takes some force to move the piston.

Also, before I purchased, I spoke with a well regarded pen repair person. He told me not to worry about the filling system because Pilot has done it right, and when it eventually fails, he can repair it. That was good enough for me.

French

I will close the shutoff at the end of the day, or when I'm taking a flight with the pen. It really isn't an issue to turn the blind cap a couple of turns to open or close, but, as I stated in the first sentence, I often will not do this. I carry the pen in a leather 2-pen pouch in my pocket and haven't had any issue with the piston coming undone. As someone else had written, it takes some force to move the piston.

Also, before I purchased, I spoke with a well regarded pen repair person. He told me not to worry about the filling system because Pilot has done it right, and when it eventually fails, he can repair it. That was good enough for me.

French

I use mine at the desk most often and it stays unscrewed while it's there, and like you it gets closed up for the night and tucked into its little case. What was good enough for me was the fact that you could seal this beautiful nib off from its ink supply. While I'm not as accident prone as my previous post implies I do tend to have my fair share of them and so I am like many people who are always on the lookout for a pen that can help protect me from myself.