Fountain Pen Museum?

Sailor Kenshin

Is there such a thing anywhere? Wonder if any of our members knows....

That would be one place to donate pens, at least. :thumbup:

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Sailor Kenshin

• georges zaslavsky

• Albertotorinoitaly

While I know of no formal FP Museum in the US.... I do know that the PCA has discussed such an undertaking..

You might want to do something along the lines of discussing a revolving exhibit at your local library showing the history of pens and writing through the ages...

Is there such a thing anywhere?

There is the Pilot pen station in Tokyo. I have read that MB has a private museum showcasing their vintage pens...

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

In the Netherlands, in Tilburg, there is the Scryption museum. www.scryption.nl (site in dutch)

They have a collection of all sorts of items, related to writing including fountain pens.

Why couldn't FPN members put together a Web museum? We'd already have a good start with the Reviews section. It might only take a bunch of volunteer "curators" to take responsibility for particular brands or (in the case of lesser-known brands) countries and periods, to make prioritized want-lists and solicit reviews from members in a standard form. It would be slow, but it could be wonderful when finished.

ron

The book Collectible Fountain Pens by Juan Manuel Clark mentions a Musée du Stylo in Paris. Apparently this museum had one of the world's largest pen collections, including some rare and valuable examples. The book also states that the entire pen collection was stolen.

Google Maps street view shows a Musée du Stylo & De l'Ecriture Armando Simoni at 3 Rue Guy de Maupassant, Paris. Various websites show it as being open on Sundays from 2pm-6pm or by appointment. I wonder if they ever rebuilt their collection, at least in part... Maybe there is a Parisian member on FPN who could let us know more about this museum, and if it is still open? I assume that the "Armando Simoni" refers to the founder of OMAS.

While I know of no formal FP Museum in the US.... I do know that the PCA has discussed such an undertaking..

You might want to do something along the lines of discussing a revolving exhibit at your local library showing the history of pens and writing through the ages...

What a cool idea!

Hmm.... I wonder what it would take to have an actual museum? Too bad I don't live somewhere with a lot of outbuildings.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

If I win the lottery tomorrow I am SO buying a building for the FPN museum!!!!! We could have an awesome collection, workshops, a pen store and little writing tables where you can borrow loaner pens and ink and just draw and write!!

www.stevelightart.com

Fred Krinke's store in Monrovia (Los Angeles) is about as close to a Fountain Pen Museum as you are going to find--includes displays of pens back to the 1800s. Plus, Fred is a walking encyclopedia of knowledge since his family business has been around for 3 generations.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn130/ToasterPastryphoto/pop.jpg

Follow me on Twitter!

Read my silly blog!

• 2 years later...

One of our posters Kaweco is striving to open one in Heidelberg, the one time fountain pen capitol of the world.

Too bad the local politicians use ball points.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

The book Collectible Fountain Pens by Juan Manuel Clark mentions a Musée du Stylo in Paris. Apparently this museum had one of the world's largest pen collections, including some rare and valuable examples.

The book also states that the entire pen collection was stolen

[gulp] Well. So much for THAT museum. Sheesh. Au revoir, Musée du Stylo.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I believe there is a Sheaffer Museum in Ft. Madison, IA and the Janesville, WI Historical Museum has a permanent exhibit dedicated to Parker. Those are the only two I can think of, but they are dedicated to the particular brands/companies and not the general history of pens.

• 7 years later...

Two years ago the Officina della scrittura - Museo Aurora opened his doors. In Turin, Italy.

http://www.officinadellascrittura.it/

A virtual visit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmrcjh5WjqU

and the presentation of an exhibit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngv_aChkHac

Alberto

alberto [dot] ritucci [at] libero [dot] it

Kaweco did open it. Only got half as big as he needed, they wouldn't let him put in an industrial gitter second floor, because some drunk tourist climbed up a spring type monument in town, fell and died. Like Drunks go to fountain pen museums and climb around.

All of it is his, but he only has room for 1/3 of what he has.

I once put up a bunch of pictures and got a poor response so will only put up a few.

The museum is in a Art Nouveau fire station across from the ruins of a 13th century castle, in Hanschueheim....Glove home. Across the river from Heidelberg.

qg6rgbX.jpg

47bBswV.jpg

wQFKvTI.jpg

kK7A41f.jpg

hR9Sxv0.jpgb6y9HKU.jpg

For making multiple pen bodies

Z69szzE.jpg

9C2jvh8.jpg

A very few of his pens....

JZhWtLT.jpg

I do have a Mercedes, made by a man who worked once for MB, has noting really to do with the car.

An unsorted pile of pens in the back room....I have one or two of that brand but he had a shoebox full. The back room is really full. ...as you can see on the table under the hand.

xk9tMSJ.jpg

I 'lost' much of the other photo's of the pens to Ransom Bucket and didn't take the time to add to Imgur due to lack of interest.

Some were interested in the machines to make a fountain pen.

If one goes to De La Rue or Ortho if that is the name, there is a video of old style machines in use. He has old style machines...of course not in use, and many cabinets displaying a good chunk of Heldelber's long history of making fountain pens, from Kaweco from @ 1900 on, Osmia, Lamy, Herlitz, Mercedes, original Reform...back when it was a world class pen...not the cheap one you know. Faber Castel....and so on.

Heidelberg was once the fountain pen capitol of the world....with 9 or 10 factories that I know of, Thomas knows of course of more. He is a ...scholar on this area and of German fountain pens in general .

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

There used to be a Sheaffer Musueum in Fort Madison but it sadly closed not so long ago. Not sure if there is a Parker Museum in Janesville.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time