• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kiavonne

• Adamtrons

• Rena

• Aquinata

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Their amber wax is one of the most unique I have ever seen, and since they make them in so large of sticks I am glad it's going to last awhile, I hope Castle in the Air gets it back in stock soon. I was very happy as well that they are a reasonably priced US based Abraxas supplier, whenever I peruse Abraxas's site it has me wanting a whole number of different waxes, inks, or writing instruments, and it's good to know I have somewhere to go to ask about them! They do make their own seals so I won't be surprised to find that Castle in the Air could order them if needed.

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Their amber wax is one of the most unique I have ever seen, and since they make them in so large of sticks I am glad it's going to last awhile, I hope Castle in the Air gets it back in stock soon. I was very happy as well that they are a reasonably priced US based Abraxas supplier, whenever I peruse Abraxas's site it has me wanting a whole number of different waxes, inks, or writing instruments, and it's good to know I have somewhere to go to ask about them! They do make their own seals so I won't be surprised to find that Castle in the Air could order them if needed.

http://www.abraxasswitzerland.com/TABELLEN/Siegellack/1.25%20Ag.jpg Is the Amber wax translucent?

http://www.abraxasswitzerland.com/TABELLEN/Siegellack/1.25%20Ag.jpg Is the Amber wax translucent?

Yep! I would think you would have to make a pretty thick seal to lose the translucency. It also smells like a pine tree when you melt it, a result of the actual sap in the wax I believe! It is a traditional wax so placing whatever it's sealed with inside an envelope is a must if it's going through the mail.

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

on post number 133 of this topic I posted some pictures of the amber wax.

heres one in which you can see the translucent effect:

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss101/ricardoemarcia/abraxas/DSC04123.jpg

on post number 133 of this topic I posted some pictures of the amber wax.

heres one in which you can see the translucent effect:

http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/ss101/ricardoemarcia/abraxas/DSC04123.jpg

I didn't realize you had posted a photo of the Amber wax when I mentioned it, haha! I need to remember to grab my stick when I go back home this Christmas.

How do you go about melting this wax by the way? I have found it to take a little longer than the J Herbin supple wax I have as well.

How do you go about melting this wax by the way? I have found it to take a little longer than the J Herbin supple wax I have as well.

I use a crem brulee torch.

in fact, since this wax does seem to take longer it was actually easier for me to melt it and shap it as I wanted.

One interesting but sad development was that this pack (a bunch of pictures I was sending for my grandmother) ended being lost by the postal service.

I got really mad :gaah:

• 1 month later...

I was on the "Bay" one night, and found an antique seal with my initials. Made an offer, and won it. It arrived last week from Bulgaria. It was indeed an antique and it awesome shape. However it looks like the images that were uploaded onto the "Bay" were in reverse. Instead of a cursive C over a cursive W.....It's actually a C and an M. I'm still going to use it and just have my personal mark be a backwards C. ha!

"Never ask a man if he's a pilot. If he's not, you'll only embarrass him. If he is...he'll tell you."

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I was on the "Bay" one night, and found an antique seal with my initials. Made an offer, and won it. It arrived last week from Bulgaria. It was indeed an antique and it awesome shape. However it looks like the images that were uploaded onto the "Bay" were in reverse. Instead of a cursive C over a cursive W.....It's actually a C and an M. I'm still going to use it and just have my personal mark be a backwards C. ha!

Post a picture of it if you can. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

It also smells like a pine tree when you melt it, a result of the actual sap in the wax I believe! It is a traditional wax so placing whatever it's sealed with inside an envelope is a must if it's going through the mail.

Why do you say to put the sealed item inside an envelope? I have not had a problem with outside envelope seals made with Atelier Gargoyle or J. Herbin waxes. Maybe the Abraxas Amber is more brittle?

I just sent an email to Castle In The Air to see if they can get more of that beautiful Abraxas Amber wax.

Could anyone give more specifics on the gold stamp used to give that lovely "gold dust" effect?

Finally, I thought it was in this thread (perhaps now deleted)--there was an elegant sailing ship similar to the one Josh shows in post 155 above, but I remember it being in darker red wax, and a more 3 dimensional impression. I seem to remember the person saying it was a vintage seal stamp. Does anyone remember where that posted image was?

Edited by SamCapote

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I've never seen a pen version but J Herbin makes a kind of stamp pad that has a similar effect. GPC used to sell them but no longer stock them I believe. Very attractive. Oh and I remember the ship seal you mentioned, it's been awhile....

Finally, I thought it was in this thread (perhaps now deleted)--there was an elegant sailing ship similar to the one Josh shows in post 155 above, but I remember it being in darker red wax, and a more 3 dimensional impression. I seem to remember the person saying it was a vintage seal stamp. Does anyone remember where that posted image was?

Hey, Sam.

It took me a while to find it, but I did. It is in a couple of threads, but this is the one I finally came across it: Sealing Wax Seals (post pictures please).

Post #23 by Edgar Allan Bo.

As for the leafing pens, this is something I might try. Stamp pads have always been a bit messy and the ink did not always dry as promised.

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

So many wonderful wax seals and wax sticks. I've just got a red wax stick and wax stamp. I love that "Coca-Cola" brown-coloured wax stick. :thumbup:

Hey, Sam.

It took me a while to find it, but I did. It is in a couple of threads, but this is the one I finally came across it: Sealing Wax Seals (post pictures please).

Post #23 by Edgar Allan Bo.

As for the leafing pens, this is something I might try. Stamp pads have always been a bit messy and the ink did not always dry as promised.

Bless your heart. I spent 3 hours looking for that post...well also got lost looking at various wax stamp links I drifted off into. I made a post in that thread, and with the image I'm trying to get put on a wax stamp,

Could anyone give more specifics on the gold stamp used to give that lovely "gold dust" effect?

about the golden effect there are two options:

you can use a stamp pad like the ones you find here :

http://www.nostalgicimpressions.com/product_p/185h.htm

I got the golden one. You pat the stamp gently on the pad and it will give color to "background" of your seal.

Or you can use an ink pad stick. the one I have is the same as you can finde here:

http://waxsealshop.com.au/products/j-herbin-ink-pad-stick

I love this one because it has gold on one side and silver on the other.

With the ink pad stick you apply it after the seal is ready so you will color the "high relief" of the seal

ps: no affiliation to any of the shops

Now that ship seal posted by Edgar Bo has got to be one of the most beautiful I'v ever seen

Post a picture of it if you can. :thumbup:

+ 1 - !

This is the only seal I have so far, but I like it. Got it from AtelierGargoyle.com

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/IMAG0146.jpg