Cross Verve - discontinued?

polaris

On another note: I do have a Cross Broad Italic nib for a Century II that I have fought with no matter what ink I have used. It remains a hard starter and skips a lot (The paper does make some difference). I was going to send it to someone to fix the thing, when I got my new Platinum 3776 with a Music Nib in the mail and tried it. The Platinum pen writes as one of my smoothest ever pens and the Music Nib does just exactly what I want (though not quite like the broad italic nib when it chooses to write and not skip). So, I am enjoying my Music Nib on a beautiful pen and have figured to save the Cross Broad Italic nib as something just to keep fiddling with as a learning experience (I can always send it to an expert later for repair, if I don't mess it up too badly!).

Tumbleweedtoo

Funny thing. I've got one of those stuck away myself. I should dig it out and do the same thing I'm gonna suggest to you.

Send that puppy into Letta at Pendemonium and at least have her do a minor CI grind on it. There's method to my madness here. They only charge $15 and they'll adjust the flow on it too. It'd be sure you tell them that it skips. Maybe Letta can check that out and/or sonicate the beejeebers out of it to clean it out GOOD. She'll at least round the edges off so it can be more of a daily user.

Heck, you're only looking at $20 shipped (maybe less, my $5 shipping was for a whole pen) back to you and whatever it cost to get it there.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tumbleweedtoo

• MikeF

• Ghost Plane

• argonavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Funny thing. I've got one of those stuck away myself. I should dig it out and do the same thing I'm gonna suggest to you.

Send that puppy into Letta at Pendemonium and at least have her do a minor CI grind on it. There's method to my madness here. They only charge $15 and they'll adjust the flow on it too. It'd be sure you tell them that it skips. Maybe Letta can check that out and/or sonicate the beejeebers out of it to clean it out GOOD. She'll at least round the edges off so it can be more of a daily user.

Heck, you're only looking at $20 shipped (maybe less, my $5 shipping was for a whole pen) back to you and whatever it cost to get it there.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

An update on the nib. I soaked it again in dishwasher soap and found some dental floss that I ran through the tine and the fins behind the nib. This improved the nib flow dramatically. So, I am going to soak it again overnight this time in dishwasher soap and may use the dental floss again (nonwaxed) and see what happens. If this does not work, I will send it for repair. BTW: I noticed it was not as clean as it should have been when I kept shaking it into a paper towel and I kept getting some black residue. Thanks for the suggestion of Letta, because one person I contacted said it would be 16 weeks before they could get to it and I did not learn the cost of repair from them. I thought, for sixteen weeks I may as well learn about all of this first hand (cleaning, etc.) and if I foul-up, there will probably be someone who can fix it! :-) Thanks again for the suggestion, but I will say that cleaning improved the performance greatly and I do like the way it writes when it writes. :-) Back to soaking!

Tumbleweedtoo

My B nib is wet, slick, and easy to start on the Verve. Have a B nibbed Century II and that's luscious too. Dunno why yours is different. Mine are VERY wet and run thru ink at a rate of knots.

Couldn't agree more. I have a Verve Platium with B nib. Find the same - never had a problem since I first inked it. I have only used black Cross cartridges in it though - also agree that it is very greedy.

I never found a problem with the shape and size - felt a bit odd to start with but got used to it very quickly. I never post my pens, but I don't think that would have anything to do with it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Certainly worth the current £90 asking price though. The nib is a real dream.

George

It's discontinued? :o That was the one of their line that I thought looked the best.. the radial chrome one really looked state of the art. Anyone know why they cut that line?