Rollerballs that run on Fountain Pen ink

kissing

I saw this thread and decided to give a go at putting fountain pen ink into a rollerball cartridge.

Mission Accomplished!

If anybody out there is using the wonderful LAMY SWIFT rollerball or any other LAMY pen that uses the M66 cartridge, be informed that you can save a boatload of money by refilling the M66 with Noodler's American Eel ink. The M66 always starts out amazing but degrades really quickly. With a constant source of ink, it always writes like its brand new. Awesome!

Note: This doesn't work with the felt-tip refill, M32. Granted, the refill has been unused for... several years.... It was worth a shot and three minutes.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tricia

• inkysmudges

• kissing

• gregoron

Hello !

I am from Romania and I have been trying for ages to find a rollerball that runs on FP cardriges. No luck yet.

I have heard that Schneider 870 and Schneider Opus are some good and cheap pens but I just can't find them in my country.

Do you know a store that can ship to Romania with Paypal payment and no big postal services comissions?

Or please suggest me other alternatives so I may search in the online shops from my country.

Thank you!

Yafa makes a rollerball that uses international cartridges and should accept a converter (the fountain pen that uses the same barrel does). Yafa pens are made in Italy, and may be sold under other names in other countries.

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

Just for the record: I have been using a Monteverde Mega Inkball for several years now and have never had any trouble. I'm still on the first "head" which is filled with Pelikan or Montblanc ink through the converter (fills like a fountain pen = dip the tip into the ink and suck the ink up around the tip). It may help that I write with it as I would with a fountain pen, with hardly any pressure.

Hello !

I am from Romania and I have been trying for ages to find a rollerball that runs on FP cardriges. No luck yet.

I have heard that Schneider 870 and Schneider Opus are some good and cheap pens but I just can't find them in my country.

Do you know a store that can ship to Romania with Paypal payment and no big postal services comissions?

Or please suggest me other alternatives so I may search in the online shops from my country.

Thank you!

Pelikan and Kaweco both make rollerball pens that take standard international cartridges.

I've looked all through the Pendemonium site and don't see any of the rollerballs you guys say they have. Will someone please post links?

Dave

I've looked all through the Pendemonium site and don't see any of the rollerballs you guys say they have. Will someone please post links?

Dave

Look at Swisher Pens . They carry the Kaweco ink rollers, I don't know if they have the Pelikans.

Hello !

Thank you!

There's a company (German, I think) called 'Online' that makes cartridge rollerball pens (and fountain pens) in large numbers, targeted at school children. At least in Switzerland, large displays of these pens could be found in many of the large department stores. I don't know if you can mail-order them, but you may find them in stores - though if you can't find Schneider, Online may also be a problem. And of course, the name 'Online' doesn't really help you to find them on the internet...

• 1 month later...

Hello all.

I really like the idea of inexpensive rollerball pens that can use standard fountain pen cartridges (as opposed to mechanical mods and/or hacks to refill) as discussed in this rather old thread.

If there are any members that happen to live in or close to Toronto, Canada that happen to know of any sources...dollar stores, etc...for these sort of rollerball pens discussed in this thread...please point me to them...ie store name...location...pen name...cost.

Any pointers...Greatly Appreciated.

-------

Obsidian 57

-------

If there are any members that happen to live in or close to Toronto, Canada that happen to know of any sources...dollar stores, etc...for these sort of rollerball pens discussed in this thread...please point me to them...ie store name...location...pen name...cost.

You can get the Yafa Cartridge Rollerball (uses international fountain pen cartridges) at Office Depot stores -- I'd be amazed if there weren't one in Toronto somewhere. This pen is virtually identical to the Yafa Cartridge Fountain Pen -- I'm not certain, but it wouldn't surprise me if the sections were interchangeable -- and sells for about the same price (and, like that other pen, will accept standard international converters, though it doesn't come with one). I'm not in Canada, but these pens sell for around US$15 south of the border; I'd guess them to run around CDN$20 or so, just based on exchange rate.

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

I have not tried these, but they look interesting....and quite inexpensive:

http://seiky.zoovy.com/category/writinginstruments.lyra/

I'm not a fan of medium points (prefer fine and extrafine most the time), so that's held me back from just jumping on these. I still may try one someday. But if someone else has tried them, or does so soon, please let us know what you think of them.

~Michael~

I have the demi sized Mega Inkball (yellow) and I've noticed that the flow is rather hit or miss between the points. Since you are given several point sections with the pen (ostensibly, the balls wear out faster than a fountain pen point) I've inked several of them and there is fairly significant variation in the quality of the points. Some won't start and make a decent line while others write almost a well as a fountain pen. The problem is some of them will leak from the point. If you catch a good point, its a decent little pen. But, if you get a leaker or non starter, its a headache. I got mine on closeout at about 40% off so I'm not too upset.

Secundum Artem

• 3 months later...

I saw this thread and decided to give a go at putting fountain pen ink into a rollerball cartridge.

Mission Accomplished!...

...WHY? Because I'm too young and broke to be rocking out a fountain pen. Anyway, I like rollerballs.

I am thinking about trying something similar, only with a generic rollerball that I love the feel of and Noodler's Bulletproof Black. I don't like the cheap-o fountain pen I just bought and I don't have the money right now to buy a different one. I wonder if the Bulletproof will work? I suppose there is approximately one way to find out...

I have a PAN Piston filling ball point that I bought from DennisL. He had a lot of several hundred if memory serves, but all are sold now. I would assume there are probably several that could be had for $20-30 if not less. They are amazingly reliable with ANY fp ink and NEVER EVER dry out. Ask about, I'm sure some will pop up.Has anyone else got one of these? It's a cheaper looking pen that writes like a dream.

".....Then he showed those men of will what will really was."

-Verbal Kint-

The Usual Suspects