How is your experience with Fahrney's Pens ?

goodguy

Just bought a pen from Fahrney's Pens and I wonder how is your buying experience with them ?

Respect to all

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• Breck

• trent

• montblancdude

Just bought a pen from Fahrney's Pens and I wonder how is your buying experience with them ?

I have heard their name mentioned many times and considered them as a supplier...

I am really interested in hearing some stories before making my move.

Matt

I have purchased 7 pens from them over the years. All by mail and have been pleased. They provided reliable service

It's been a few years, but I think that's where I got my Parker Duofold International with a fine italic nib. But Fahrney's always has a special place in my heart because it was from their catalog that I first heard about Write Now by Getty and Dubay. I bought my copy from them and that really opened up a new world for me.

Anyway I think they are a very reliable supplier, but I've only bought a few things from them.

SfA2F91.jpg

I bought direct from them when I was in the States. No problems - not cheap, but good service and no problems.

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Bought a Stipula from them last year, and it arrived quickly and safely. Pen was great.

Bought another Stipula from them and though it worked fine I returned it and they took the return without a problem. I only used the pen very briefly, cleaned it well, packaged it with all its materials and mailed it right back to them, but it was great to be able to handle the pen and write a page and then return it.

Not the cheapest, but perhaps they make up for it with service, up to date stock information and possible return. I will buy there again.

rcc

They are not inexpensive... Joon and FPH (no afffiliation) are cheaper.

What pen did you purchase, Amir?

Loving Mont Blanc and everything fountain pen!!!!!!!!

One of the few, the proud... 14 year-old FPN'ers!!!!!! ;)

MY FOUNTAIN PENS: Montblanc Boheme Bleu (M), Montblanc 145 (M), Waterman Phileas (M), Jinhao X450 (M), Parker Vector (M), Parker 15 (M), Sheaffer Cartridge Pen (M)

MY INKS: Parker Quink Blue, Private Reserve Midnight Blues, Montblanc Black

I've purchased several pens from them via mail and the service has been fast and reliable. When in Washington, DC, be sure to visit their wonderful store.

In person, bad and indifferent to rude lack of service, but then, I stopped going there years ago (worked across the street, so this was not a one-time bad experience). In the old days, before it moved to its F St. location, nice, old-timey atmosphere. But that is going back decades, when D.C. still had some established, small city shops.

--but it all seems to depend, as there have been lots of comments on Fahrney's posted before and, while the edge goes to the bad service, some people have had good service and long-time relationships there.

Edited by lefty928
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

i visited their Dc shop during their annual sale; the staff was very friendly and helpful, and i ended up buying a nice stipula bellini that i hadn't even been aware of when the day began.

Check out my blog and my pens

I'll be visiting their shop sometime next week during my visit to DC. I'll provide an update then.

I have purchased several times from them over the Internet. Generally, I have found their prices to be a tad bit higher than some of the other on-line stores. However, I have found a few good deals on some of their "on sale" pens. Response and shipping have always been prompt and reliable.

I live in DC and have been there several times. I have only ever had one good experience there. The rest of the time I felt as if I were intruding on the sales persons' valuable chat time.

Unfortunately, it is the only place in downtown DC that has such a wonderful selection of pens in store. Otherwise, I would certainly take my business elsewhere.

However, my most recent visit there was a pleasant surprise (purchased ink), and all sales people were very eager to help, which was a stark departure from my previous experiences there.

One of my local stores. They were very helpful with my very first FP purchase (Underwood Picadilly Eco.) The salesperson was very enthusiastic and spent a good deal of time with helpful FP shopping tips that have held up over the years. :thumbup:

Switched to new location as lefty928 noted. A lot more corporate -- brusque even -- more focused on internet sales (I don't blame them -- I understand survival) and they've earned a good rep in that venue. :thumbup: But in-store I find hit or miss now, and the last thing I got there was a Cartier Trinity FP. Front line staff at that time really didn't care too much and really didn't know that much about the pen. I ended up doing all my own research and basically selling it to myself. :mellow: However, that's when I first came across FPN on the net!! :clap1: But I rarely go to Fahrney's anymore. Like chickpea I felt a bit intrusive...Mostly strictly MSRP but occasional in-store specials are good. But as I've noted in other threads I'm really lucky to have a lot of other choices in nearby 'burbs to drive to. So I guess tally that as two thumbs up and one (most recent) indifferent to uncomfortable experience.

I've purchased about half-a-dozen plus pens from them (at the store, online, and at the DC Pen Show) over the past 5 years. On the up-side, they have a nice store (IMO it's as much a DC landmark as the Lincoln Memorial) with a fairly responsive staff. On the downside, there really isn't anything unique about them. Moreover, when it comes to pricing and range of product, they generally come up short when competing with other online sellers.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.--Groucho Marx

You never want a serious crisis to go to waste.--President Obama's Chief of Staff

Yes, the old location (near People's Drug Store!) was great but even the new one still has a better selection than, say, Paradise Pen/Colorado Pen in a mall. I've always had great service, online and in the store, and it is an obligatory stop for me when visiting the District of Columbia.

However, my most recent visit there was a pleasant surprise (purchased ink), and all sales people were very eager to help, which was a stark departure from my previous experiences there.

Nothing like a Recession to change the salesman's attitude.

YMMV

In person, bad and indifferent to rude lack of service, but then, I stopped going there years ago (worked across the street, so this was not a one-time bad experience). In the old days, before it moved to its F St. location, nice, old-timey atmosphere. But that is going back decades, when D.C. still had some established, small city shops.

--but it all seems to depend, as there have been lots of comments on Fahrney's posted before and, while the edge goes to the bad service, some people have had good service and long-time relationships there.

+1 for your comments, lefty928. Went there on a Friday afternoon, was pretty much ignored by the sales staff. And I was the only customer in the store at the time. Next time I was in D. C., went to Bertram's Inkwell. Had a much better experience. Found out I can almost always get my purchases for less from an online store. So I won't be going back to Fahrney's.

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

They are not inexpensive... Joon and FPH (no afffiliation) are cheaper.

What pen did you purchase, Amir?

Well the pen I bought from them was cheaper then other well known pen shops.

Actually it was the cheappest I could find and that was after more then few phone calls that I made.

I bought the Faulkner from them.

Respect to all