What ink(s) are you waiting for in the mail?

dizzypen

I am glad I am not the only one who consistently experience this problem. I just got a sample of Caran d'Ache Ultraviolet, and I am very disappointed with the ink in general - especially since I was expecting a purple ink with hint of gray, not the other way around. Iroshizuku Murasaki-shikibu and Sailor Shigure both were different in person for me too, but I really liked those two inks so I didn't think accurate color representation could be that big of an issue. Oh well...

Sailor Shigure is kind of its own... Its the only ink so far I met, which swab are so away from its actual representation. In swab its more purple than I ever got it written. Surely its a really dark purple, sometimes easy to confuse with a dark blue, but in swabs are much more purple, what I can get. Still like the ink, and have many memories both amazing and bittersweet, related to this ink.

Agreed representing purple inks in online or even in photos can be very misleading. Thank you for mentioning Caran d'Ache Ultraviolet, based on your description, I can pull of from my wish list.

Could you tell me about Murasaki-shibiku? In online representation I always find bit pale, and always reminds me to Herbin's Violette Pansee.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• inkstainedruth

• PithyProlix

• mizgeorge

Could you tell me about Murasaki-shibiku? In online representation I always find bit pale, and always reminds me to Herbin's Violette Pansee.

I was almost expecting a pastel-colored purple when I ordered a sample of Murasaki-shikibu, so I was pleasantly surprised by how much darker it is. (and promptly proceeded to order a bottle...) When I write something with Murasaki-shikibu and hold the paper up beside the monitor, what I see in person is a lot darker and more saturated - sure, it's nowhere close to Shigure, but it's also not the pale purple it often appears to be online. Perhaps the difference could arise from what nibs are being used: many ink reviews I read are written with broader nibs in order to accentuate shading and color, whereas I almost exclusively use fine nibs.

Ink appreciation is such a personal thing, and reviews are an extremely imprecise science/art .... But I appreciate the time people take to make their opinions of inks known.

Buying inks based on reviews is often a (bleep)-shoot, I've discovered. When the same color can look different across multiple reviews, one orders in the hope that the actual ink, when it arrives, is a close approximation of the color you expect it to be.

And a big shout out to visvamitra, sandy1, amberlea and the many others who devote their (seemingly inexhaustible) time and energy to broadening our horizons.

So, Rose Cyclamen and Bleu Pervenche arrived this afternoon. Yay.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I appreciate all these remarks, and thanks in particular for migo's post 96. Very interesting remarks on the relationship of digital ink,, verbally-described ink, and ink irl. As a lover of language, I am always very appreciative of careful verbal descriptions.

I want to join in the praise for Murasaki-shikibu, which, pardon the cliche, must be seen to be appreciated. I really love it. If I wanted to try to describe it, I would say it is toward a fairly dark periwinkle (meaning the actual flower color). Diamine Lavender is in the same neighborhood, but I think M-s is very special and I anticipate that I will always have one pen filled with it. One last remark is that I find it to be more nib-sensitive, if that's a good term for it, than most inks, and darkens quite a bit with a wetter nib.

An interesting side note, which forgive me, I'm sure everyone knows, is that M-s is the only Iroshizuku ink that is named not for something in nature, but for a person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murasaki_Shikibu

I was almost expecting a pastel-colored purple when I ordered a sample of Murasaki-shikibu, so I was pleasantly surprised by how much darker it is. (and promptly proceeded to order a bottle...) When I write something with Murasaki-shikibu and hold the paper up beside the monitor, what I see in person is a lot darker and more saturated - sure, it's nowhere close to Shigure, but it's also not the pale purple it often appears to be online. Perhaps the difference could arise from what nibs are being used: many ink reviews I read are written with broader nibs in order to accentuate shading and color, whereas I almost exclusively use fine nibs.

Dear Aelie! Thank you! Based on your description about Murasaki-Shikibu, I put back to my wish list. Seems its a purple ink, which I like. Honestly, I battle this about since years. Maybe I will pull the trigger about it.

Buying inks based on reviews is often a (bleep)-shoot, I've discovered. When the same color can look different across multiple reviews, one orders in the hope that the actual ink, when it arrives, is a close approximation of the color you expect it to be.

And a big shout out to visvamitra, sandy1, amberlea and the many others who devote their (seemingly inexhaustible) time and energy to broadening our horizons.

So, Rose Cyclamen and Bleu Pervenche arrived this afternoon. Yay.

That's the reason that I try to look about many review as I can before I order or buy an ink.

Just got in samples of Lamy Dark Lilac, Noodler's Dragon's Napalm, and Noodler's Hellfire. And a big bottle of Goulet Pen Flush, which I used to give my Sheaffer NoNonsense a good rinse before filling it with Dark Lilac. I like the color a lot, but the sheen that I see in a lot of the reviews has been very tame thus far. But, then, I haven't broken out my Tomoe River just yet. Well, I've been meaning to get a letter to a pen pal started anyway...

Very much looking forward to seeing the neon Noodler's inks in action; but, as I really wanted the NoNonsense loaded with something I could use as a daily-writer ink and nothing else is in need of a fill just yet, I guess I'll have to wait. (Hopefully USPS will find the NoNonsense I ordered and which apparently hid on the truck on its way to my house; then the weekend can be spent writing with Dragon's Napalm, after I don my welding glass.)

I just got a bottle of Sailor Kiwa-Guro in the mail. I've already inked up a Vanishing Point with it. I love how it behaves and how it makes my pen write.

Current Daily Carry: Pilot Custom 743 with 14k Posting nib (Sailor Kiwa-Guro), Sailor 1911L Realo Champagne with 21k Extra Fine nib (Sailor Tokiwa-Matsu). Platinum Century 3776 Bourgogne (Diamine Syrah), Nakaya Portable Writer Midori with 14k Extra Extra Fine nib (Lamy Peridot), Pilot Vanishing Point Stealth Black with Extra Fine nib unit (Pilot Blue Black), a dozen Nockco DotDash index cards of various sizes and a Traveler's Notebook.

Courtesy of Vanness Pens:

KWZ IG #6 Blue/Black

KWZ IG #1 Blue

KWZ #5 Azure

KWZ Cappuccino

No more inks after this ...

well, maybe until the Miami Pen Show.

A bottle of Montblanc Jonathan Swift Seaweed Green arrived this morning.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Kobe #55 Nankinmachi Fortune Red
Caran D'Ache Blue Night
Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine (Shipped; FINALLY! Xc[ )

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

A bottle of Montblanc Jonathan Swift Seaweed Green arrived this morning.

Lucky you! Cherish your bottle and enjoy the ink!

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

A half-bottle of Parker Penman Blue. I like the bottle.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I just ordered Yama-budo, thanks to all you good people here. I better like it, peeps.

Well if you don't I'll take it off your hands.... B)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Yay, my Wancher Erbine arrived today. Hmm, load a pen quickly and try it out at work?

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

I just got a bottle of Sailor Kiwa-Guro in the mail. I've already inked up a Vanishing Point with it. I love how it behaves and how it makes my pen write.

That Kiwa-guro is simply one of the best!

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

I just got two bottles of MB Leo Tolstoy ink, I've had the FP for quite a while but no ink to be had locally and didn't want to order it online as shipping and taxes costs are a bit expensive, but finally caved since the local MB boutique nor the ones I visited in south america had any...

And i also have 3 other bottles of it on order from La Couronne du Comte, along with the yellow one :)