Stub Nib versus Cursive Italic

RonB

Very well done on the comparisons. I really like your writing with the stub, Ron. Enough character to be unique and bold enough to make a real statement.

I have a Wearever stub, a 0.7 Binder cursive italic "51" and an English Duofold left oblique italic. My daughter likes the Binderized nib while I prefer the other two.

The oblique is close to 0.9mm in width so the variation shows nicely. The stub is my pen of choice for note taking as it just glides across the paper. The italics are fine when I have the time to go slowly. The stub by far gets the most use and that says a lot. But if I could only keep one of them, it just might be the cursive italic as it has characteristics of both.

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RonB

• meanwhile

• Margana

• senorswiss

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, Jim, Dan, Roger and Margana. It really is a matter of personal preference. I really appreciate a smooth nib, so I give the nod to the stub My wife has been using the cursive italic, because she says it makes her handwriting look so much better. To each his own.

Ron

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

Ron -

This second group of shots shows much, much less difference - thank you for taking the trouble to post them.

- Jonathan

:huh:

Wow! Thanks so much for this wonderful sample!

I'm new to FP-dom, and now have seeral Esties, a Pilot VP, Pelikan M200 and a few no-names and Chinese Hero-Wing-Sung-Blah-Blahs! Oh!, and a Parker 51.

I've got both the Fine and Medium nibs for the VP and have been staring at Richard's Custom Page for a month now, trying to figure out where to go! I think for my style of writing, the Stub will be it...

Can they do a "stub" for the Parker? Because while I love the pen- it looks quite like any good Rollerball..... <_<

Thanks,

Bob K

Red Sox Tickets...... Birthday Present from wife

Parking...... $15

Tepid Coffee.... $3

Hot Dogs... $12

Popcorn..... $4.50

Foul Ball Caught @ Fenway Park.....PRICELESS!!!

Can they do a "stub" for the Parker? Because while I love the pen- it looks quite like any good Rollerball..... <_<

Ryan posted a sample of writing with his Parker "51" that had a cursive italic that Richard Binder made for him. I don't know if it would need to be a medium nib in order to do that (Ryan's was). You could email Richard and ask him.

Here is the post:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...=0entry100079

And then he sold it while I was on vacation and I missed it!

Ron

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

Can they do a "stub" for the Parker? Because while I love the pen- it looks quite like any good Rollerball.....  <_<

Ryan posted a sample of writing with his Parker "51" that had a cursive italic that Richard Binder made for him. I don't know if it would need to be a medium nib in order to do that (Ryan's was). You could email Richard and ask him.

Here is the post:

Ron

Ryan had a cursive itlalic made, but he told me in a PM that he considered that a stub would be better for a P51 - the design of the pen makes it especially hard to keep the nib aligned as much as even a cursive italic demands, making the rounder stub a better choice.

- Jonathan

Can they do a "stub" for the Parker? Because while I love the pen- it looks quite like any good Rollerball.....  <_<

Here is the post:

Ron

That looks like the cursive italic "51" I bought from Ryan a few weeks ago that my daughter now favors. Glad you were able to buy one, too, Ron.

Now here's a question. What inks work well with the 0.7 cursive italic nib? On second thought I will start a new thread with this question. :)

A certified Inkophile

Margana, you were lucky to get that one! I wish I had been around when it went on sale.

Maybe I should send one of my Parker "51"s into Richard and have him make me a stub nib.

Ron

Ron

Margana, you were lucky to get that one! I wish I had been around when it went on sale.

Maybe I should send one of my Parker "51"s into Richard and have him make me a stub nib.

Ron

Ron, that pen is one I'm not totally committed to and I may decide to offer it on the Marketplace. I just might be happier with a 0.6 stub in the long run but it is certainly a nice nib in a beautifully restored "51" body.

I am all for variety and would understand if that is the reason but why would you get a stub nibbed "51" when you have the Pelikan? I have more "51"s than any other pen so I am certainly a fan but Pelikan's are not without their charms. So why convert a "51"?

Margana

A certified Inkophile

Margana,

All good questions! Unfortunately with foutain pens, logic sometimes has nothing to do with it!

I thought since I love Parker "51"s and stub nibs, it would be a nice combination. I understand Ryan's point about the Parker "51" cursive italic being more difficult to write with, however. Do you find it slightly difficult to orient the nib to the paper?

Ron

Ron

I am all for variety and would understand if that is the reason but why would you get a stub nibbed "51" when you have the Pelikan? I have more "51"s than any other pen so I am certainly a fan but Pelikan's are not without their charms. So why convert a "51"?

Something I've noticed about P51s in the Ink Review section is that they seem to especially well with "difficult" inks, probably because of the hooding. So if you want to use some of the less reliable Noodlers Eternals, or possibly Apache, with a stub, they could be the best bet. (See Carrie's reviews of several of the UK Eternals, where a 51 was the only pen to use some of the inks satisfactorily.) This makes sense, as the 51 was originally designed to handle the difficult "Superchrome" ink.

- Jonathan

Margana,

All good questions! Unfortunately with foutain pens, logic sometimes has nothing to do with it!

I thought since I love Parker "51"s and stub nibs, it would be a nice combination. I understand Ryan's point about the Parker "51" cursive italic being more difficult to write with, however. Do you find it slightly difficult to orient the nib to the paper?

Ron

Ron - Yes, I would agree with Ryan. The cursive italic is slightly more challenging than my Wearever stub. The stub just writes no matter how I hold the pen skipping rarely if at all in an entire page. The cursive italic has a lower tolerance for shifting the nib angle and tends to skip more. I feel the paper slightly more with the cursive italic and logically find if I've shifted the angle a bit too much the nib doesn't glide as well. But then I get a really nice look to my letters that way.

To put it simply I like my writing with the cursive italic but I really like writing with the stub.

Meanwhile - You are right about inks and "51"s. They really do play well together. ;)

A certified Inkophile

• 4 years later...

I know this is a really old thread, but was wondering if you, Ron, or anyone can tell me what ink this is.

Looks s bit like Noodler's Van Gogh Starry Night, but I think that hasn't been around since 2006..?

post-4-1152897439.jpg

Image taken from page one.

Thanks!

Edited by senorswiss

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a really old thread, but was wondering if you, Ron, or anyone can tell me what ink this is.

Thanks!

Bump.

Anyone?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

I don't have much info to offer but that is a beautiful blue-black. Check this link if it helps some, although the ink is not shown there.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

I don't have much info to offer but that is a beautiful blue-black. Check this link if it helps some, although the ink is not shown there.

Thanks for the suggestion - I have looked through the Goulet's swab shop but just wanted to see if anyone knew with certainty what it was.

Close-up of the Stub nib:

Thanks for the pics, Ron! I'm contemplating my first custom nib, and this post, with the feedback from AustinRC on another post, has officially pushed me over the edge to a Binderized .6mm stub. (The italic will be in my crosshairs next.)

BTW, good choice on the text for the writing sample! I use the first portion of the Gettysburg Address for most of my writing samples, with a little Shakespeare thrown into keep my memory sharp.

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." - Dorothy Parker (attributed)

I've been noticed that italic BROAD nibs have more line variation than italic FINE (or Medium) nibs, even when we have the same nib model, the same grind technique (customized or straight from factory), and the same ink - paper.

Has anyone noticed this? :hmm1:

Edited by fabrimedeiros