rOtring CORE

MYU

This is a completely insane-looking pen, but I kind of love it. Might make it my next FP purchase. At ten bucks, it's hard to go wrong, and if it's good enough for the House of Mogh, it's good enough for me!

http://www.faustianslip.com/hillel-quote.gif

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MYU

• lovemy51

• PacificCoastPen

• luvpens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Hi, i just bought one of this pens to be my work horse, just keep it at my backpack, ( i can't bring myself to treat my lamy 2000 like that), but it didn't brought a converter.

Does anyone know where i can buy one ?

I want to use Sailor Kiwaguro, my favorite ink.

Because it takes international cartridges, you can easily find an international converter--they're a standard design. Basically they tend to be cheaper than buying a Rotring branded converter.

But if you really want good ink capacity, get the Waterman long cartridges. They hold a ton of ink. You can refill them with a blunt syringe.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Great reviews. I like the designs for the very fact they offend so many people. :lol:

A man's real possession is his memory. In nothing else is he rich, in nothing else is he poor.

Thanks for the review,very informative,and really good pictures...I like the way the pen looks,but I am unsure on buying one,lets see what happens in the near future

CPSC

• 9 months later...

After reading this review I went and bought one with an XS nib. It is a bit difficult to get used to the grip position but this is accomplished rather quickly. It writes very well and stars with no problem and no skipping at all. I intended to use it mostly on fridays at the office (when we go casual) but I kept it using it every day.

Nice weight and balance.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Rotring/Rotring-Klingon.jpg

rOtring core, the Klingon's choice for a pen

I must agree, K'plah!

Inked

I bought one of these for my boyfriend today! I haven't seen him all summer and wanted to get him a cool, yet very-much-from-me gift that he'd appreciate and maybe chuckle at. :thumbup:

-irbyls

i agree that this is a very good quality pen

for writers who like over-sz pens and not at high price.

And equally important, the nib makes good italic cursive grind

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aI7xyj3f0l4/TCcq-upDrRI/AAAAAAAADEA/sUdH-bGm5S8/s640/rotring+1.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aI7xyj3f0l4/TCcr1SvQ_8I/AAAAAAAADEQ/jYsN06dpu8c/s640/rotring+3.JPG

• 1 month later...

Undoubtedly an odd ball pen. I have two XL and one XF. They have ALWAYS started writing well regardless of time spent unused in the pen cup. Good for that 'I want a bold, wet write...XL." They never disappoint.

Wanda

Check out this new flickr page for pen wraps

W He

• 4 weeks later...

For those who are wondering, those are pretty decent pens, and very solid. (Not quite 600 solid, but very robust for a plastic bodied pen.) It's well worth getting one if you like the look of them, and odd as the section looks, it's very comfortable in the hand.

I'd much sooner one of those than a safari, put it that way...

I finally picked one up long ago. It writes a nice wet, medium line (XL nib). The angle is a little steep for optimum writing for me. However, it is kind of fun to have. I only use it for activities that don't require a lot of writing at once.

My thoughts are as scattered as the frozen winds of November swept across the harvested fields of my mind. ~ Justin - damaging things since 1973

• 3 weeks later...

Had one of them, guess the nib was XS (don't remember). I bought it in a Kaufland store in Postdam. It left me disappointed, the writing was very dry and the nib scratchy, the pen required flushing under water after sitting a couple of days in the pen cup on my desk. I also did not like the ergonomics. At the end I tossed it away, most likely I got a lemon. It was a pity, because I really loved the design and color.

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

• 4 years later...

Great review! Yes, I know I am enervating this thread again. But, truthfully, I love the Core and I am an old lady. I purchased my first Core pens (FP, BP and MP) when I started graduate school over 10 years ago in the Lysium color (yes, if you are going to go funky, go all the way). But I loved them. They were reliable and comfortable for long days of note taking. But, as is typical with me, I became enamoured with other pens and these were put to the side. I never found them again. (sniff. . . sniff). But, I see that occasionally someone on Amazon or eBay sell them, so I will have to break down and buy a FP. Let you know how it goes.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• 1 year later...

Just came across this review (I know, seven years late...) and felt compelled to share how delighted I am with this writing instrument - the word 'instrument' really suits its description given its robust, rugged, mechanical, industrial, engineered and architectural looks. I bought a box set for my son in 2001 and immediately fell for it - so much so that I purchased the complete stock of Coridium (black) FPs, pencils and converters from my local pen supplier. Since then, I've given several FPs and pencil sets to each of my kids (teenagers).

I use the FP on a daily basis and found it to be extremely reliable and robust. In fact, I'm surprised at the amount of rough treatment these pens can withstand and still look, and write great. Fifteen years on and I'm into my second Coridium FP (the first was left on a plane) and I still have a few boxed pens tucked away somewhere.

You'll either love them or hate them - a bit like Marmite really. Also, I noticed the Core range of FPs being listed on eBay for as much as £65 ($85) with the rarer Coridium FP commanding an even higher price. Who knows what the value new boxed item might be in 10/20 years.

I'm looking forward to 16 more years of continued use.