Strange flow issues on Pelikan M1000

mitz009

After this long with continued issues I'd send it back to the company.

Funny you should say that Jeen. I just got an email from Abi at Chartpak asking me to send the nib to them! It came out of the blue, so I am excited. I'm anxious to get expert eyes on this pen. I mentioned that the M1000 was writing better with the MB ink, but I started to wonder if this was akin to taking aspirin to thin your blood while your arteries are 90% clogged. Hopefully they'll find the cause. Off to Chartpak on Monday for the aircraft carrier!

Henry

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shrinknib

• mitz009

• Blade Runner

• Carlos

With Abi involved your chances for a happy ending are good.

Cheers

I had no luck despite trying numerous inks. I found the Pelikan black the "thickest" of the black inks I use and this was one of the worst culprits in my particular flow issues

Jeremy :

As much as I like Pelikan inks, I too find them extremely "dry" on otherwise smoothly running nibs. So, if a nib's not well adjusted to start, I can see a world of unhappiness occurring with the pen. I'll hope that Pelikan can adjust the nib or replace it to your satisfaction.

One black ink to think about is Sailor Kiwaguro Nano Carbon Black ink. I've tested it in several Pelikans with various nibs over the last two months, and it's been a real treat. Runs reasonably smoothly even with my driest nib, a calligraphic 2.0, and well with all of the others. Not a super "wet" ink, either, but it feels well lubricated with a nice balance of flow characteristics. Black, black, black colour and no feathering, with no shading, but then, did I mention it's black ? :rolleyes: Waterproof (when dried), too. Worth a thought or two for a "slow nib"...

John P.

Hey John

I will try and find that ink. I have never tried it but always open to suggestions. Must say that the Pelikan ink does run dry like you say, but still runs nicely in a couple other pens I use it with (eg new Parker Duofold). I'm still waiting to get my pen back from Pelikan- must be over two weeks now, and no news yet.

Fingers crossed and thanks again for the recommendation.

cheers

Jeremy

________________________________________________________________________________

Love and work... work and love, that's all there is.

Sigmund Freud

(there was a man who obviously never knew fountain pens!)

We all like black ink but they all threaten FP feeder systems. Even top quality black inks are heavy and sometimes contain sediment.

The problem with your M 1000 is probably a block or partial block at the top end of the feed. You have enough ink to write a few pages and then supply ends until ink finds a way past the blockage.

You must clean the feed.

Soak in water for 48 hours

Water cures all ills but it must be given time to take effect.

After that

1. An ultrasonic cleaner if you have access to one.

2. Push water through nib and feed using one of those rubber bulbs

3. failing either of those, blow through the nib unit to make bubbles in a glass of water

Let pen dry - 48 hours? - and then use a kinder ink eg Watermans South Seas Blue which cures all ill pens

If that doesn't mazke your pen work perfectly it needs professional attention

Solitaire

Outstanding advice Solitaire

I think that is worthwhile advice for all pens to give them a yearly service along those lines. How does one find an ultrasonic cleaner? Are they expensive?

I didn't realie you could push water through the other way through the nib and feed.

cheers

Jeremy

________________________________________________________________________________

Sigmund Freud

• 2 months later...

I'm still waiting to get my pen back from Germany!

Only been about four months since I bought the pen...

Also similar problem has occured on vintage Pelikan tortoise from the 1950's (??) I recently purchased; I'm wondering if this is a problem more common in Pelikan pens as none of my others have experienced this issue.

cheerio

Sigmund Freud

I have M1000 F and the 215/415 as well. None of them have experienced the flow issue at all. My M1000 will write till the last drop (meaning, until I cannot really see ink in the ink window).

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

bugger- must just be my rotten luck. Maybe when the M800 comes back from its home it will write more generously.

Oh well, we'll move on to find a new one!

Any suggestions??

Sigmund Freud

• 1 month later...

Well...

the update on this pen is a bit sad.

The nib was sent to Germany to be replaced and had basically the same problem.

I can't believe they did not test it properly over there.

the good news is that my retailer swapped the 20C nib (which was apparently rare- but less of a concern as it didn't work) for a regular nib broad oblique which is actually quite enjoyable to use.

A bittersweet ending i suppose.

thanks to all for suggestions.

Sigmund Freud

I just got my first M1000 pen (won it in Ebay) and the nib(s) have been giving me headaches. I chose a 3B nib as I love very broad nibs and I've tried out a friend's 3B M1000 nib and I liked it a lot.

When the pen arrived, it had an extremely wet flow. I love wet nibs (as I usually have my nibs adjusted to an 8/10 flow), but this one was a veritable gusher -- almost like a faucet. I checked the nib under a 10X loupe and I noticed that the tines are far apart, the gap was substantial. I contacted the seller and she first explained that M1000 nibs are usually wet. I told her that I expected that to be the case, but this nib has a defect. She eventually agreed to have the nib exchanged but requested me not to get a 3B as a replacement. I requested a broad nib.

When the replacement nib arrived, I again had flow issues. This time the flow was again excessive, but after one line or a line and half, the nib goes completely dry. I would force ink to the feed by turning the piston or giving the pen a quick jerk.. then the ink returns -- very wet -- and only for one line and then it runs dry. I scrutinized the nib under the loupe and I found out that there is a gap between the feed and the underside of the nib. I could easily slide paper in between the nib and the feed. Apparently, this causes the nib to have a excessive flow and drying out after a line or two. The M1000 nib is rather thin -- which gives it the springy (some say flexy) properties.. but this would also make the nib prone to these problems.

I decided not to again exchange the nib, but plan to send it to a nibmeister. This is two strikes against Pelikan and I love Pelys. I have all the smaller models and have not have problems with the nibs. I guess I am extremely unlucky with my M1000.

Hi Carlos

I share your pain.

Unfortunately I think there is a serious quality assurance issue in Pelikan manufacturing these days.

There was a link above in this thread to Binder's site which describes the flaw very nicely- but sadly...

The chap in my retail store who kindly swapped the nib to an OB was not surprised by my difficulties- but he also said that modern MB's have way more problems.

At least the nibs on these pens can be swapped so you aren't left with an entire dud pen.

Good luck- sounds like the first nib was better- most people I've read here have said the OB nibsgenerally need some nibmeister readjustment to your style, flow etc.

Cheers

Jeremy

Sigmund Freud

I use MB Green british racing in my pelikan m800 and m1000 and I never had a single flow issue.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Hi Carlos

I share your pain.

Unfortunately I think there is a serious quality assurance issue in Pelikan manufacturing these days.

There was a link above in this thread to Binder's site which describes the flaw very nicely- but sadly...

The chap in my retail store who kindly swapped the nib to an OB was not surprised by my difficulties- but he also said that modern MB's have way more problems.

At least the nibs on these pens can be swapped so you aren't left with an entire dud pen.

Good luck- sounds like the first nib was better- most people I've read here have said the OB nibsgenerally need some nibmeister readjustment to your style, flow etc.

Cheers

Jeremy

Jeremy,

I guess we have had the bad luck in getting duds (in my case, twice). As it is not easy and is relatively expensive for shipping packages from the Philippines, I decided to send it to the US, once and for all - for a nib job by my favorite nibmesiter. More cost on my part (nibmeister plus shipping and insurance to and from the Philippines) but I'm sure that the pen will be as it should be after the nib job. I am just disappointed since with an expensive pen like like this, the buyer should not be hounded by quality control issues. I guess I will have to do some serious thinking in case I decide to get a Pely in the future.

I use MB Green british racing in my pelikan m800 and m1000 and I never had a single flow issue.

hi George

I should think this may be more good luck rather than good management.

I tried many inks and all suggested remedies for flow but without success.

I have a couple of vintage pelikans and have never had an issue.

I have sworn off the modern pelikans.... But then I bought a white tortoise!!

Sigmund Freud