Aurora Ipsilon Review

Waterman007

I am planning on buying Ipsilon with either broad or italic nib.

I can't find info on the size of the italic and wonder if the (downstroke) line width is comparable to the broad. Any experienced user of these nibs?

Rob

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rudolf

• Waterman007

• orangeaurora

• GHigley

I spoke with Mike Masuyama about Aurora nibs - saying I found my Aurora Asia Broad nib to actually write quite fine (although the feel was quite different than any Fine nib I had). What he told me was that Auroras have a large blob of iridium on their nibs but, because the iridium is quite rounded, it often writes narrower than its designation (IOW, it's so rounded that only a small portion contacts the paper). At least that's what I remember - chime in, Mike, if I've misrepresented what you said.

In any event, he took a lot of that iridium away to make mine a true Fine - it now writes like other Fine nibs I own.

HP

PS. On the other hand, my Ipsilon with Medium steel nib is medium or a little wider. I wonder if the Aurora difference in sizing involves the gold nibs.

Edited by Hennypenny

The sky IS falling. C. Little

quite frankly, I am not a fan of this pen and rarely do I write with it. there are better pens for the money. The pen feels much smaller in my hands than they look in pictures

Edited by kauloltran

I own an Aurora Ipsilon, medium nib and just love it!! It writes very smooth. I have it currently inked with J. Herbin Perle noire and also use Diamine Monaco red. Both inks work well, but I think I prefer the Perle noire. I actually plan on adding two other colors of the same style to my collection. This one of my favorite pens, although sometimes it's hard to choose!

seriously, i am about to go to a pen store tomorrow and try one out, hopefully buy it. is there much of a difference between the original and deluxe versions?

If that difference is heft, then that will probably mean i will go for the deluxe version.

I'll have to see how it compares to my diplomat excellence broad nib (i dont necessarily need a broad stroke, it was just the smoothest available without going too huge). currently the excellence not only gives me a little more feedback than i like (not heaps tbh, i still write quite comfortably with it for many hours at a time) and I think the slit is a little fatter than i like as it sometimes just blurts out more ink than i would like, and i have to sit there for a minute while it dries before i can turn the page.

:) all comes with the territory I guess :P gotta find that perfect pen and nib for me.

also i have fat fingers, so i prefer wider diameter barrels, this would work for me right?

My two best writers.

http://s2.postimg.org/v3a1772ft/M1000_Black_L_R.jpg..........http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/1217/85960889.png

.........I call this one Günter. ......... I call this one Michael Clarke Duncan.

• 2 years later...

Today I made a deal with a friend for a gloss black, mid-1990's Ipsilon. I'm quite impressed with it so far. Its very pleasant medium nib writes more like a fine with Aurora Black. My first Italian pen, but doubtlessly not my last. ; ) I look forward to using this pen with some frequency - perfect pen for use at the office I believe.

Edited by GHigley

What are these like to write with ? I tend to prefer writing with wetter pens.

The Deluxe version seems a bargain for a 14K nibbed Italian pen.

Both my fine and my medium are wonderful writers. The flow reflects your ink choice, wet ink wet flow, dry ink, dry flow. I find both nibs enjoyable. The best feature, for me, is how wonderful the pen feels in my hand, the beautiful writing nibs on top of the ergonomics are bonus.

I have a regular Ipsilon in yellow with F nib and picked up a Red M nib at the Philly pen show for a rediculously low price.

I love them both and consider them my favorites...

Regards,

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm glad this pen has a lot of loyal followers because despite it being one of the most beautiful specimens in my collection, it's one of my least favorite to hold and write with. I hear these have an "intentionally toothy" feel to them, but mine in broad, feels like I'm printing with a nail.

That said, let me state again how beautifully designed the Ipsilon is. It's burgundy on black with gold trim absolutely screams class. Come to think of it, maybe it's a good thing that I'm too uninspired by it to actually fill it up and use it. This way at least I can take it out and admire it from time to time without worrying about letting it wear.

I have had mine a long time, it has seen a lot of use and is showing some wear. Still write well though. I think now that nib looks too small maybe for the pen.

Oddly enough my medium(steel) writes rather more like a broad.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the review! I was looking into buying one myself, and after all the great reply's you got there I will probably be a proud owner myself soon!

• 2 months later...

I've received pens that didn't write at all. So, now I'm ordering from nibs.com because they test every pen and will make adjustments if necessary before it ships. They also do custom work.

John

• 1 month later...

I'm lefthanded. My Ipsilon gave some little bit scratchy feedback on the pushing strokes. I have smoothed it out buy the 'unglaced ring of a coffeecup' method. After that I have polished the nib on a soft stone, lubricated with water.

A good fountainpen is an edc reliable writing tool

I also have made some adjustments: the gap between the tines was too wide. Now the very small gap gives a nice thin line and a very smooth feeling.

Fountain pens are precise instruments. Very little adjustments make great differences.

I've received pens that didn't write at all. So, now I'm ordering from nibs.com because they test every pen and will make adjustments if necessary before it ships. They also do custom work.

John

Fountain pens can be frustrating if they don't write. They always should write well out of the box, but....that's an often discussed subject.