Laser printer paper which is FP friendly

Escribiente

I about to print a large document (200+ pages) which I will need to edit carefully. Of course, I'll use a fountain pen, and I would like to find paper which is similar in features to Rhodia pads but less expensive. Any suggestions for laser printer paper which is FP friendly? Preferably, paper available at Office Depot?

Edited by Escribiente

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Escribiente

• jmw19

• Arobow

• dizzypen

My favorite paper is HP Premium Choice LaserJet Paper. It is 32lb. It would make a rather heavy document, but I use it almost exclusively for everything.

God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind, I will never die.

-Bill Waterson

Honestly, regular copy/print paper tends to do just fine for editing. The Xerox paper at my office is surprisingly FP friendly. You'll probably do well with a 24lb. copy paper. I would not go with the HP32lb. It is very heavy. I had 100 sheet notebooks made out of 32lb paper and they are so heavy they only get used at my desk. I carry around something much lighter.

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

Here's a comparison of some paper costs: paper costs

Here's a python script that helps you calculate the cost per unit area: script

The HP Premium LaserJet 120 gsm paper is popular with folks who use fountain pens, but it's a bit heavy for common use (it's better for executive-style reports where you want to impress the people who read the report). I like Domtar Solutions 105 gsm for general-purpose use with fountain pens. I've also used some Mohawk color copy paper that was very good with fountain pens and cheaper than the HP paper (they were close enough that I'd bet Mohawk makes HP's paper).

All that said, I sometimes find that the cheap copy paper my wife buys at the grocery store works OK with fountain pens. However, since I'm a Bay State Blue ink fan, I tend to like papers where BSB works well.

Unless you're using a very wide or wet nib, the standard 20-24 lb. papers should be adequate for editing. I'd hesitate to use the good stuff for a draft copy, but I can definitely understand wanting good behavior while making comments or long notes.

I picked up a ream of HP 28 lb. Color Laser, and it's very well-behaved, aside from a longer drying time. It also takes laser toner very well, as you'd expect from the name. It's around 25% less expensive than the 32 lb, too.

The paper I last bought (by the case) for my laser and inkjet printers is marked "Xerographic Paper", "Multi-Purpose Suitable for High Speed Copiers/Laser Printers" -- and what seems to be a weight listing is "Sub 20" -- I got this by the case at Costco (a case there costs what two or three loose reams would at Office Depot or Staples), three or four years ago. I very recently discovered it's quite nice with a fountain pen, at least with well behaved ink. And did I mention it's cheap?

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

Thank you everybody for your suggestions. And, thank you someonesdad for posting the "paper costs" table--excellent reference.

Is there a big difference between the 28 and 32lb HP laser paper? Because 25% ends up being quite a lot after a few reams.

Is there a big difference between the 28 and 32lb HP laser paper? Because 25% ends up being quite a lot after a few reams.

Just doing a quick check of the Staples website, I see the 28 lb. paper at $11.79/ream, and the 32 lb. at $16.99/ream. Some number-crunching gives me a 31% price differential per ream, so I was actually being conservative.

As far as the paper quality goes, I haven't tried more than a page of the 32 lb, but the only difference I noticed was the paper thickness. The 28 lb. is no slouch, but it's just not as "index-card" feeling as the 32 lb. I guess it depends what you're looking for. You can fit more of the 28 lb. into the same binder, too :rolleyes:

Best,

Jon

The 32 lb. is also slightly "smoother" ("extra smooth" vs. "super smooth"), although I don't know that it makes a difference for FP usage. HP claims it helps even toner dispersal/adhesion for laser printing applications, although that may just be marketing-speak.

---
Use big words. They carry more weight.
I help small businesses find their next new customer. Check out more about what I do on Facebook.

haha, either way, the efficiency of toner dispersal (or even the all important toner adhesion) is of little interest to me.