Monte Verde Ink Ball

Man-in-Need

Sunday's electronic edition of the paper is now available, containing the article "A Flowing Compromise With a Nod to Elegance", linked below (this might require free registration to view -- I'm not sure as I *am* registered smile.gif ).

For those who get the physical paper, the article is in the Business Section, 'Your Money' subsection, and under the column 'Novelties' by Anne Eisenberg.

Link to New York Times article

Regards,

Norman Haase

His Nibs.com

www.hisnibs.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HisNibs1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• His Nibs

• Sidney

• Titivillus

• Man-in-Need

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I own 3 Daniel Hechter Inkrollers and 2 Herbin stylo-rollers.

I bought replacement heads for the Hechter ink rollers when I bought them. After many years of use on very rought paper, I'm still using the original head of my first Hecter. I just bought the Herbin.

The Hechter's inkrollers are painted metal, beautiful pens. The Herbin's are light plastic easier to carry around without fearing denting them.

I do plan to buy the Ink O Sphere as well, probably in a fun color to use with a matching color ink.

I use the Hechter with Waterman Florida Blue and I recommend ink with nice flowing properties for all fountain pen ink rollers.

I fill the converter and put it in the pen then I give a small turn to make sure the ink is flowing in the roller mechanism. (Do this over the sink or a stack of paper towel)

I have yet to replace the traditional rollerball refill on my Lamy Safari but I think that replacing traditonnal rollerballs with cartridge/converters inkrollers is much more economical.

I tried to hold of the Monteverde Mega Ink Ball at the D.C. pen show, but I was like doing weight for my fingers. :lol:

The vendor was nice enought to cup his hand under mine so I wouldn't drop the very expensive pen.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

• 2 weeks later...

MONTEVERDE

Check the new MEGA Inkball LE

It is an LE of 1999 pieces with interchangable front nib secitons and caps. In a yellow - black combination.

http://www.penseller.com/pens6/mvmegale3.jpg

http://www.penseller.com/pens6/mvmegale1.jpg

Understand that the list price is to be $225

More information available on our my website -

www.penseller.com

=

=

Edited by radite

I'm still waiting on my Monteverde Mega. It's still on backorder. I love rollerball pens and I'm looking forward to this one.

Barry

Edited by Formillion

Seeing as I have FP's decades old w/o requiring anything other than a flush, this pregnant-looking Mega doesn't impress as a good buy. The Master Renew nibs on my Esterbrook pens continue to serve for a minimal price, and beautifully, too. I use RB's and gel refills in a couple of Parker pens but they don't last that long. I'm grateful to the members for the information on the Mega as I'd been interested. Reminds me of the felt tips that several manufacturers introduced in the 60's, the ones that used conventional cartridges--and the felt tips deteriorated into mush like the early Flair pens did. I write a heck of a lot in the course of my work, and a kilometer doesn't sound like a lot of mileage for $10. I'll wait for the next step in technology; I don't have to have the newest car on the block.

I might as well be the one to break this to people. The Monteverde Mega Ink Ball has arrived and in my opinion has blown away the Vanishing Point as a fat, comfortable, excellent, aesthetic pen.

Packaging: Gorgeous, solid black with a flip top that unveils a velvet cover inscribed with the Monte Verde logo. That lifts up to show a foam cover for all but the black Monte Verde Ink Bottle. Finally we get to the white interior which shows the color pen with 4 nibs in toto (3 extra and 1 with the body), and an owner's manual w/ all pertinent information. Overall, this is the kind of ultramodern packaging that you could display in your room without feeling embarrassed, somewhat like the Graf Von Faber-Castell line.

Nib: The much touted nib. Really decimates the rest of the FP crowd. Each nib is good for (reportedly) 1 km of writing. It features the obligatory rollerball but an airy section around it for ink suction. Solid construction that features an integrated, screwed in converter to prevent coming out accidentally, as happened with my erstwhile Phileas. Superficially, this does not differ much from what one would see on a rollerball or BP. However, the writing parts wheat from chaff.

Writing: I thought the VP was the standard for control when it came to Fountain Pens, or much else that sucked ink. When one uses the Mega Ink Ball, it flows with more control than what VP users are wont to. At the same time, it has none of the skittishness that accompanies FP's, nor the trouble starting that plagues BP's (not the oil company). It is a remarkably moderate writing experience where one does not have to force the writing. One can simply move the arm primarily and the hand secondarily to get an even flow. Since the pen does not slim down to anorexic proportions like the VP, I do not cramp my hands when writing for 5 odd minutes at a stretch. This would be perfect for those with arthritis. The thickness of the pen is as sturdy as the writing.

Pen itself: The pen comes in two shades of a dark chocolate black or light cherry. Naturally, I chose red because black has too much of a slimming effect. From the photos that Norman has provided, it looks rather dinky, like potatoes in a platinum dinner setting. But when considered with the packaging and all else, it achieves a good degree of style. Though some will complain about the fact that it must be unscrewed to be opened as opposed to lower end fountain pens which sometimes snap, retract, or be prompted with a button (a la VP), anyone who uses more than a reptilian brain when writing will not object to a capping system that is quite tight and not lacking in the least. I can find very few faults with the coloring or the MV logo on the end cap. The pen implies very dressed down tastes as well as a compromise. I believe that this pen will become a kind of belwether for the industry and may force everyone to re-evaluate what a true fountain pen, let alone rollerball is.

In conclusion the pen is like the meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs: Smoke, thunder, shock waves, and all left to re-adjust to a radically different world.

I will post writing samples quickly and in a subsequent post.

You mentioned in another site that this could topple the FP. Here, you make reference to the meteor that wiped out the dinosaurs.

You seem to have a gripe against fountain pens, and use the VP as the standard of reference for FP's.

This pen offers a limited ink supply, no line variation, and restricted nib lifespan.

A good fountain pen holds a lot of ink, makes your writing look beautiful, comes in your choice of nib widths, and most nibs last a lifetime.

My standards of reference for this purpose are my 1934 Vac Burgundy Oversize or senior or whatever, with a semi-flex juicy Mottishaw tuned B-Stub nib, and my father's 149, which he has been using for close to 50 years, non-stop.

The VP is certainly not my cup of tea. Uncomfortable to hold, noisy dry-ish nib. Converter.

If you want to go head-to-head with the dinosaurs, go for the big guys, and make sure your meteor is hot. This one is not.

Still seeking the One Pen to Rule Them All...

I was disaapointed with the Mega ball on three counts: it seemed to write no better then the Daniel Hector I bought several years ago which uses a cartridge, 2) the use of a converter rather then a regular piston fill system, and 3) it felt like insubstantial akin to a Reform

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try” Mark Twain

I think this pen is being miscast- it’s not a fountain pen, nor will it ever be. The similarity is only in the ink- which is not saying much.

Every roller ball wears out. Every one. It’s just that most have a fixed ink supply, and the roller outlasts the ink so you don’t notice. I pay about $5 for Lamy M66 roller refills for my Swift- so all the ink ball has to do is last twice as long as a M66 refill and the cost is the same (presuming ink cost is marginal). Meanwhile, I get to write in my favourite shade.

The smaller and more practical Ink Ball is available for ~115 US from some sources, which is not grossly out of keeping with other nice roller ball bodies- and it’s got some nice perks over a standard roller.

What I’m trying to suggest is that the Inkball isn’t so much more dearly priced than a fine roller ball, and you might like it better. I don’t intend to ever give up my fountains, but sometimes a roller is just more practical!

Lets not compare apples and oranges!

-Ryan

I think the ink-ball is interesting but I agree with many of you who find the fact that the tip/ carbide ball wears out a bit disappointing. How does one know when that time is? Does the pen suddenly discharge its fill of ink on the paper in one huge blob?

I for one like the fact that a FP nib gets better with time/age and that I do not need to worry about it wearing out in my lifetime. Granted, ink sacs and converters do wear out but they are inexpensive and easy to replace.

All that being said I am always fascinated by new things and would be curious to see writing samples and line widths once you have a chance to post them. As always thank you for giving us something to talk and think about!

Best Regards!

:)

• 3 months later...

I had a very bad experience with the MEGA ink ball pen

I purchased a Yellow limited edition in January 2007. Right out of the box, three out of four writing points did not work - they all were skipping. I called YAFA technical support when I discovered the problem with the first to verufy that I was doing everything correctly. Tried several inks: Monteverde, supplied with the pen, Parker Quink, Noodler's, and cartridges also supplied with the pen; nothing helped.

Had to send the three writing sections for repairs right away. They came back without skipping, but one of those sections - - and I checked them all given my previous experience - now was leaving too much ink on paper; the lines were broader compared to the other sections and the feeling when writing with it was quite different. My impression was that the ball became a bit loose in its socket. That one went right back for repairs.

In the meantime, the only one of the four sections that initially worked started drying out after just several written lines. And that with a very occasional usage. Had to rotate the converter every such occasion to provide more ink. Very frustrating. And when the last section that I sent for repairs came back, it had exactly the same problem, but more severe - it would write just several words before drying out. All of this happened in less than a month from my purchase.

At that point I've had enough of this pen and simply sent it back to the retailer.

Meaning is romance with reality, which is an illusion that enjoys a large consensus.

It's amusing to read about their claims. Rotring came out with the Rollkuli in the 50's. The UHU kugeltinter came out a short time later. These are both ink ball pens. They wrote well initially but would become unreliable over time (skipping, leaking, etc). This is why the tips were designed to unscrew for easy replacement. It appears that this basic problem has not been solved--Monteverde merely increased the rollerball tip lifespan a little.

Because of the inherent friction based design of the rollerball, it is destined to wear out and then need to be replaced. So, going the route of the cheap disposable refill makes the most sense. At least until they come up with a frictionless roller!

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• 9 months later...

A few comments on the Monte Verde Mega Ink Ball (MIB):

I received a maroon MIB as a gift, but so far it hasn't been perfect; I think the tip is too fat, and at least so far I can't usually tell how thick the line will be. The ink flow seems clumsy next to actual fountain pens, although I'm not sure if this is in part as a result of me filling it for the first time. To test this, I may jettison the ink already inside, rinse, and try again. Abqnm may also have described the problem:

[T]hey came back without skipping, but one of those sections - - and I checked them all given my previous experience - now was leaving too much ink on paper; the lines were broader compared to the other sections and the feeling when writing with it was quite different. My impression was that the ball became a bit loose in its socket.

Although I took a few pictures with a digital camera to demonstrate the differences in lines, none turned out well and I'll have to wait till I have access to a camera.

The size of the pen is nice, although the material feels oddly flimsy compared to the Mont Blanc or the other gift I received, a Parker Sonnet with a fine point. I'm not sure if this pen will grow on me, although my initial experience with it doesn't bode well. Still, I've read that some pens take a little while to calm down, and this may be one example. If Monte Verde released .05 mm points, I'd buy one instantly.

As a site note, the packaging is mammoth compared to most fountain pens; Monte Verde evidently has been subjected to the small packaging movement of environmentalism. See the attached picture with the Parker box on the right and taking only a fraction of the MIB box. This one fortunately did turn out well.

post-11553-1198430895_thumb.jpg

I can't say that I find this pen appealing. For $200, you'd expect a gold nib fountain pen, but here you get a few substandard rollers. It seems kind of like the worst of both worlds: the short-life disposable characteristics of a rollerball with the price and refilling mess of a fountain pen. Maybe the price of the tip can be justified (it does sound interesting), but then you're paying $160 for a plastic shell and some packaging. You could probably just buy the tip and get someone who turns pens to make a body for a lot less. Or, for the same price as the Mega, you could buy a Senator President, with an 18k gold nib, piston filler, and a size that's about the same as a MB 149. I haven't tried the nib on one those, but i'm sure it's much more enjoyable than a rollerball.

I have one of the smaller ones. It works, but that's all I can say about it. Can anyone spell boring?

It appeals to my gadget side, and I have looked at these for quite some time. The reason I haven't bought one is that, not being a FP, you would probably buy for its functionality rather than to display, and I would always worry that someday you would not be able to get the Rollerball refills. Plus my reptilian brain thinks that a utilitarian pen should have a snap on/off cap if it were to be at all useful for quick notes and the like. Still it is an interesting piece of engineering.

We stomped on the terra-

Lord Buckley said that

I asked for one because I could use the inks I like with a rollerball, and the pen is also supposed to be much better on planes. Despite my earlier commentary, the MIB does seem to have settled down some, and, although I still think the maroon smaller version a tad too big, the size has grown on me. I can also write slightly faster with it than I can with my Mont Blanc or Parker Sonnet.

-Jake

• 2 years later...

For me, my high-end pens are FPs, which can last for decades if well cared for. If I need any other kind of pen, I reach for a $1 Uniball gel pen and get a flawless write in pigmented ink. For me, there's just no real middle space where this could fit in.

Kudos for the innovation, though!! A ceramic ball might last longer than a tungsten one.

I hate to use my Mega Inkball pen! The Mega Inkball pen (I have the burgundy -- quite beautiful and simple) is TOO light although it has a nice form and broad body for holding for an extended period of time. The point is EXTREMELY scratchy and there is only one size nib: I do not have the option to select the size that I prefer -- I prefer broad. The nib is too dry and I cannot adjust it in any way. While I do not mind the converter since so many pens use converters today and since the pen's using cartridges does make it easy for travel, the dryness of the nib and its scratchiness make it a pen that I would NEVER choose to take with me when I travel. The Pilot G2 medium gel ink refill and the Parker gel ink refill write better than the Mega Inkball pen: this says a lot since my rollerball preference is the Pilot G2 BOLD point gel ink refill and I do not like the Parker gel ink refill due to its scratchiness.

Edited by elysee

So I checked out Monteverde's web site after reading this review. Pardon my ignorance but I still feel confused. So the Mega Ink Ball pen is...a rollerball? That emulates a fountain pen? And comes with several "nibs" in case the rollerball points wear out?

How is this different from the rollerball pens that take fountain pen cartridges, like Pelikan's? I'm not raining on your parade; I'm curious because it sounds like a cool pen.

Hi Sonnet,

The wonderful and enthusiastic customer review that started this thread caused a little confusion with the word 'nib'.

I've hopefully explained it clearly on my website, but basically Monteverde refers to this as a fountain pen with a rollerball tip, in that it will not only take ink cartridges, but the included piston converter can be filled by drawing up bottled ink right through the tip, as in a 'nibbed' fountain pen. That's one of the ways it differs from the Borghini Ink-O-Sphere as I understand it (I've never seen the Borghini -- but I know that Giovanni will correct me if that's in error).

This bit of ad copy from Monteverde will hopefully clarify things further:

http://www.hisnibs.com/images/Monteverde/Mega/MegaAdCopy2.jpg

A fuller explanation is on my website.

AM I confused in assuming that the front end of this pen will wear out over time and need to be replaced?

No, you're correct! The tip would wear out in time or say better...after x mtrs of writing. The specs are given in the brochures. I got the yellow limited edition and it came with 3 points. Had I known all in advance, wouldn't have bought this pen but a good fountain pen instead. But I got the tip going after some time...it had to settle in a bit and now it's fine. Over all the pen feels too dinky in my hands...while I even thought of getting the oversized version! I don't use it often but actually it writes quite okay. But then again...if you want a roller ball...just get a roller ball. I'm not tested changing ink color yet but I assume that that is also something that is less easy with this pen as the ball seems to absorb ink and so colors could mix up. But again...I'm not sure about this. Perhaps somebody else knows more.

• 1 year later...

I love the size and look of this pen! but have never been a big rollerball fan. I had one of the Viscontis that had an optional tubular nib that I found boring (no line width variation at all). But again, i just love the look of this pen! I was wondering if anyone has tried, once the tip wears out to cut off or drill out the ball end so that the pen could accomodate a standard rollerball refill. I am notorious for making franken-pens. (My favorite is my Dolcevita medium size that has the feed and nib from the oversize pen.) i figure with some little tubular adaptors (like those that come with Fischer ballpoint refills and maybe a spring this should work just fine. Comments appreciated!